Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Bethany Cara Sacks, M.D., M.Ed.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Achalasia, Adrenal Disease, Colorectal Surgery , General Surgery, GERD Surgery , Hernia Repair, Hernia Surgery, Hernias, Incisional Hernia Repair, Inguinal Hernia, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Nissen Fundoplication, Paraesophageal Hernia, Spleen Surgery, Splenectomy , Ventral Hernia ...read more
Research Interests: Minimally invasive and simulation technologies
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1508
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
A general surgeon, Dr. Sacks specializes in minimally invasive antireflux surgery, hernia repair, colon resection, adrenalectomy and splenectomy. Before joining the Johns Hopkins faculty, she was a clinical assistant professor of surgery and the director of undergraduate education at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. Her research focuses on minimally invasive and simulation technologies as well as education of surgical trainees.
Dr. Sacks also serves as the director for the surgical clerkship education program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In this role, Dr. Sacks supervises the medical students’ clerkship activities. She has a record of excellence in teaching as a member of the core faculty of the Colleges Advisory Program.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Ravitch Division of GI Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1999)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center / General Surgery (2004)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Minimally Invasive Surgery (2005)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (2005)
Activities & Honors
- American College of Surgeons
- Association for Surgical Education
- Association of Academic Surgery
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons