Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Jacqueline Marie Laurin, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cirrhosis, Fatty Liver, Gastroenterology, Liver Cancer, Liver Disease, Viral Hepatitis, Acute or Chronic
Request an Appointment
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5555
5215 Loughboro Road, NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Ballston Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 703-573-9220
3833 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203 map
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Frederick
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5555
45 Thomas Johnson Drive
Frederick, MD 21702 map
Dr. Jacqueline M. Laurin is a transplant hepatologist of Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Hepatology Multidisciplinary Center, as well as an assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is board certified in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology. Dr. Laurin practices out of Johns Hopkins Community Physicians locations in Washington, D.C. and Arlington, Va., as well as the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md.
Dr. Laurin has an expertise in cirrhosis, fatty liver disease, portal hypertension, liver transplant, liver cancer, autoimmune liver disease and chronic viral hepatitis.
Dr. Laurin earned her medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine at the University of Maryland Medical Center, where she also completed a fellowship in gastroenterology. Dr. Laurin also completed a fellowship in hepatology at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. Laurin previously worked at Georgetown University Hospital, where she was an associate professor of surgery and medicine.
Dr. Laurin is a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the American College of Gastroenterology, the American College of Physicians, the American Gastroenterological Association and the American Medical Association.
Dr. Laurin has contributed to numerous publications and presentations focusing on liver diseases.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, University of Florida College of Medicine (1988)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1991)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Gastroenterology (1993)
- Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education / Hepatology (1994)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (1993, 2013)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1991, 2002)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Transplant Hepatology (2006, 2016)
Research & Publications
Peer reviewed Publications
- Yin J, Harpaz N, Tong Y, Huang Y, Laurin JM, Greenwald BD, Hontanosas M, Newkirk C, Meltzer SJ. p53 point mutations in dysplastic and cancerous ulcerative colitis lesions. Gastroenterology. 1993;6:1633-1639.
- Laurin JM, DeSotel CK, Jorgensen RA, Dickson ER, Lindor KD. The natural history of abdominal pain associated with primary biliary cirrhosis. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1994;89:1840-1843.
- Harpaz N, Peck AL, Yin J, Fiel I, Hontanosas M, Tong TR, Laurin JM, Abraham JM, Greenwald BD, Meltzer SJ. p53 protein expression in ulcerative colitis-associated colorectal dysplasia and carcinoma. Human Pathology. 1994;25:1069-1074.
- Laurin JM, Crippin J, Gossard A, Gores G, Ludwig J, McGill D, Rakela J, Lindor K. Ursodeoxycholic acid or clofibrate in the treatment of non-alcohol-induced steatohepatitis: a pilot study. Hepatology. 1996;23:1464-1467.
- Kuo PC, Plotkin JS, Johnson LB, Howell CD, Laurin JM, Bartlett ST, Rubin LJ. Distinctive clinical features of portopulmonary hypertension. Chest. 1997;112:980-986.
- Plotkin JS, Njoku M, Howell CD, Kuo PC, Lim JW, Laurin JM, Bartlett ST, Johnson LB. The evolution of a successful liver transplant program in 1996: the clinical and administrative role of the anesthesiologist. Liver Transplantation and Surgery 1997;3:468-470.
- Plotkin JS, Benitez RM, Kuo PC, Njoku MJ, Ridge LA, Lim JW, Howell CD, Laurin JM, Johnson LB. Dobutamine stress echocardiography for preoperative cardiac risk stratification in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation. Liver Transplantation and Surgery. 1998;4:253-257.
- Plotkin JS, Kuo PC, Rubin LJ, Gaine S, Howell CD, Laurin J, Njoku MJ, Lim JW, Johnson LB. Successful use of chronic epoprostenol as a bridge to liver transplantation in severe portopulmonary hypertension. Transplantation. 1998;65:457-459.
- Darwin P, Zangara J, Heller T, Haluszka O, Laurin J. Unsedated esophagoscopy for the diagnosis of esophageal varices in patients with cirrhosis. Endoscopy 2000;32:971-973.
- Shetty A, Wilson S, Kuo P, Laurin J, Howell CD, Johnson L, Allen EM. Liver transplantation improves cirrhosis associated impaired oral glucose tolerance. Transplantation. 2000;69:2451-2454.
- Laurin J. Motion - all patients with NASH need to have a liver biopsy: arguments against the motion. Canadian Journal Gastroenterology. 2002;16:722-726.
- Hauser P, Khosla J, Aurora H, Laurin J, Kling MA, Hill J, Gulati M, Thornton AJ, Schultz RL, Valentine AD, Meyers CA, Howell CD. A prospective study of the incidence and open-label treatment of interferon-induced major depressive disorder in patients with hepatitis C. Molecular Psychiatry. 2002;7:942-947.
- Crosse K, Umeadi OG, Anania FA, Laurin J, Papadimitriou J, Drachenberg C, Howell CD. Racial differences in liver inflammation and fibrosis related to chronic hepatitis C. Clinical Gastroenterology Hepatology. 2004;2:463-468.
- Matsumoto CS, Kaufman SS, Girlanda R, Little CM, Rekhtman Y, Raofi V, Laurin JM, Shetty K, Fennelly EM, Johnson LB, Fishbein TM. Utilization of donors who have suffered cardiopulmonary arrest and resuscitation in intestinal transplantation. Transplantation. 2008;86:941-946.
- Thenappan A, Jha RC, Fishbein T, Matsumoto C, Melancon JK, Girlanda R, Shetty K, Laurin J, Plotkin J, Johnson L. Liver allograft outcomes after laparoscopic-assisted and minimal access live donor hepatectomy for transplantation. American Journal Surgery. 2011;201:450-455.
- Agrawal N, Parajuli S, Zhao P, Satoskar R, Laurin J, Azumi N, Matsumoto C, Shetty K. Liver transplantation in the management of hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma; a single-center experience and review of the literature. Transplant Proceedings. 2011;43:2647-2650.
- Fried MW, Navarro VJ, Afdhal N, Belle SH, Wahed AS, Hawke RL, Doo E, Meyers CM, Reddy KR; Silymarin in NASH and C Hepatitis (SyNCH) Study Group. Collaborators (38) Afdhal N, Colagreco J, Gupta D, Miller C, Navarro V, Verma M, Batey B, Borg E, Davis P, Dougherty KA, Elliott S, Evon D, Fried MW, Hawke R, Howell M, Schrieber S, Soule T, Kaplan DE, Kennedy C, Walton A, Reddy K, Wirjosemito A, Belle S, Bowen J, Kurs-Lasky M, Lawlor S, Wahed A, Zadorozny E, Duffy L, Meyers C, Doo E, Hoofnagle J, Seeff L, Bodenheimer HC, Laurin J, McFann KK, Shader RI, Blumenthal M. Effect of silymarin (milk thistle) on liver disease in patients with chronic hepatitis C unsuccessfully treated with interferon therapy: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2012;308:274-282.
- Hawksworth JS, Rosen-Bronson S, Island E, Girlanda R, Guerra JF, Valdiconza C, Kishiyama K, Christensen KD, Kozlowski S, Kaufman S, Little C, Shetty K, Laurin J, Satoskar R, Kallakury B, Fishbein TM, Matsumoto CS. Successful Isolated Intestinal Transplantation in Sensitized Recipients With the Use of Virtual Crossmatching. Am J Transplant. 2012;12 Suppl 4:S33-42.
- Nguyen P, Plotkin J, Fishbein TM, Laurin JM, Satoskar R, Shetty K, Taylor AJ. Dobutamine stress echocardiography in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation: a pooled analysis of accuracy, perioperative and long term cardiovascular prognosis. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;29(8):1741-8.
- Shetty K, Dash C, Laurin J. Use of adjuvant sorafenib in liver transplant recipients with high-risk hepatocellular carcinoma. J Transplant. 2014;2014:913634. doi: 10.1155/2014/913634. Epub 2014 Apr 10.
Invited Review Articles
- Forster J, Siegel EL, Delcore R, Payne KM, Laurin J, Kindscher JD. Is the role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts limited in the management of patients with end stage liver disease? The American Journal of Surgery 1996;172:536 539, discussion 539 540.
- Laurin JM, Resnick CS, Wheeler D, Needleman BW. Vertebral osteomyelitis caused by Nocardia asteroides: report and review of literature. The Journal of Rheumatology 1991;18:455-458.
- Kindscher JD, Laurin JM, Delcore R, Forster J. Liver transplantation in a patient with sickle cell anemia. Transplantation 199560:;762-764.
- Johnson PA, Laurin J. Transjugular portosystemic shunt for treatment of bleeding stomal varices. Digestive Disease and Sciences 199742:4;40 442.
- Prabhu RM, Medeiros LJ, Kumar D, Drachenberg CI, Papadimitriou JC, Appelman HD, Johnson LB, Laurin J, Heyman M, Abruzzo LV. Primary hepatic low grade B cell lymphoma of mucosa associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) associated with primary biliary cirrhosis. Modern Pathology 1998;11:404 410.
- Ellis GS, Laurin J. Hepatic hydrothorax: diagnosis and management. Case report and review of the literature. Maryland Medical Journal 1999;48:295 298.
- Anania F, Howell C, Laurin JM, Drachenberg CI. Delayed granuloma formation in a patient with vanishing bile duct syndrome 7 years post-liver transplantation. Liver Transplantation 2001;7:999-1001.
Book Chapters, Monographs
- Laurin JM, Lindor KD. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Digestive Diseases 1994;12:321-330.
- Laurin JM, McGill DB, Lindor KD. Silent nonalcoholic steatohepatitis can be mild or aggressive. Contemporary Internal Medicine 1996;8:50-60.
- Hamilton JP, Laurin J. Drug induced cholestasis. In: Cholestatic Liver Disease (Lindor KD, Talwalkar JA, Eds.), 1st eds., Humana Press, New Jersey, 2008, pp.21-43.
- Liu E, Laurin J. Viral hepatitis A through E in pregnancy. In: Chronic Viral Hepatitis (Shetty K, Wu GW, Eds.), 1st eds., Humana Press, New York, 2009; pp. 353-373.
Activities & Honors
- Beta Beta Beta Award for the outstanding freshman biology student, Barry University, 1981
- Nomination for the American Institute of Chemists Award to outstanding seniors in chemistry and biochemistry, Barry University, 1984
- Teaching Award in Pathophysiology and Therapeutics, II, Gastroenterology - Hematopathology Unit, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2002 - 2005
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 1995
- American College of Gastroenterology, 1991 - 2006
- American College of Physicians, 1989 - 2000
- American Gastroenterological Association, 1991
- American Medical Association, 1984 - 1991