Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
Research Interests: Pharmacology; Brain tumors; Cancer chemotherapy
Dr. Betty Tyler is an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University. She runs a highly successful and productive laboratory and has a national reputation for stellar science in the field of translational research and local delivery of chemotherapeutic agents for brain tumor therapy. Dr. Tyler assisted in the preclinical studies that led to bringing Gliadel to brain tumor patients as a standard of care, and also evaluated the efficacy of the local delivery of Paclitaxel from a novel thermal gel depot through commercial funding. The data in these studies were the scientific bases of a multi-institutional Phase I clinical trial for patients with malignant glioma.
Dr. Tyler’s collaborative efforts with scientists within Johns Hopkins as well as with researchers throughout the United States have led to multiple scientific breakthroughs. In addition to publishing over 85 peer-reviewed articles she has mentored and taught over 250 neurosurgical residents, medical students, and undergraduate students in research design, surgical techniques and statistical analysis.
She directs her work toward therapeutic progress, and mentoring new scientists, with the goal of bringing effective therapies to patients with brain tumors and making a difference in the brain cancer research field.
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- B.A., Wheaton College (Illinois) (1988)
Research & Publications
- Extravascular optical coherence tomography: evaluation of carotid atherosclerosis and pravastatin therapy. Wicks RT, Huang Y, Zhang K, Zhao M, Tyler BM, Suk I, Hwang L, Ruzevick J, Jallo G, Brem H, Pradilla G, Kang JU. Stroke. 2014 Apr;45(4):1123-30. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.113.002970. Epub 2014 Mar 13. PMID: 24627118 [PubMed - in process]
- Radiosensitization of malignant gliomas following intracranial delivery of paclitaxel biodegradable polymer microspheres. Gabikian P, Tyler BM, Zhang I, Li KW, Brem H, Walter KA. J Neurosurg. 2014 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24605841 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Efficacy of local polymer-based and systemic delivery of the anti-glutamatergic agents riluzole and memantine in rat glioma models. Yohay K, Tyler B, Weaver KD, Pardo AC, Gincel D, Blakeley J, Brem H, Rothstein JD. J Neurosurg. 2014 Apr;120(4):854-63. doi: 10.3171/2013.12.JNS13641. Epub 2014 Jan 31. PMID: 24484234 [PubMed - in process]
- Thermal latency studies in opiate-treated mice. Schildhaus N, Trink E, Polson C, Detolla L, Tyler BM, Jallo GI, Tok S, Guarnieri M. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2014 Jan;6(1):43-7. doi: 10.4103/0975-7406.124316. PMID: 24459403 [PubMed] Free PMC Article
- Subcutaneous implants for long-acting drug therapy in laboratory animals may generate unintended drug reservoirs. Guarnieri M, Tyler BM, Detolla L, Zhao M, Kobrin B. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2014 Jan;6(1):38-42. doi: 10.4103/0975-7406.124315. PMID: 24459402