Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Holly C. Wilcox, M.A., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: Suicide Prevention
Holly C. Wilcox, Ph.D. has a joint faculty appointment as an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and the Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Wilcox is a psychiatric epidemiologist primarily focused on the prevention of suicide. She is the principal investigator of a large randomized trial funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) to study the effectiveness of a universal depression education program delivered in high schools on reducing mental health stigma and increasing mental health service utilization. In addition, she has been involved in the evaluation of the long-term impact of the Good Behavior Game intervention and suicide prevention approaches such as suicide risk screening in schools and emergency departments. She is also involved in the Pediatric Integrated Care Collaborative (PICC), a multisite project aimed at integrating primary care and specialized mental health services for children exposed to trauma as part of the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Dr. Wilcox is co-chair of the Suicide Prevention Task Group of the National Network of Depression Centers, a non-profit 501(c)(3) network of 21 leading clinical and academic Centers of Excellence in the U.S. working to transform the field of depressive illnesses and related mood disorders. She teaches a course (Suicide as a Public Health Problem) in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and has published extensively on the epidemiology, etiology and prevention of suicidal behaviors.
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- B.S., Northeastern University (China) (1991)
- M.A., New York University (New York) (1998)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University (Maryland) (2003)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Scott M, Wilcox H, Huo Y, Turner JB, Fisher P, Shaffer D. School-based screening for suicide risk: balancing costs and benefits. Am J Public Health. 2010 Sep;100(9):1648-52.
- Wilcox HC, Arria AM, Caldeira KM, Vincent KB, Pinchevsky GM, O'Grady KE. Prevalence and predictors of persistent suicide ideation, plans, and attempts during college. J Affect Disord. 2010 Dec;127(1-3):287-94.
- Wilcox HC, Kuramoto SJ, Lichtenstein P, Långström N, Brent DA, Runeson B. Psychiatric morbidity, violent crime, and suicide among children and adolescents exposed to parental death. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010 May;49(5):514-23.
- Wilcox HC, Storr CL, Breslau N. Posttraumatic stress disorder and suicide attempts in a community sample of urban americanyoung adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009 Mar;66(3):305-11.
- Wilcox HC, Kellam SG, Brown CH, Poduska JM, Ialongo NS, Wang W, Anthony JC. The impact of two universal randomized first- and second-grade classroom interventions on young adult suicide ideation and attempts. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Jun 1;95 Suppl 1:S60-73.
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Straight Story on Cutting, Hopkins Brain Wise, Winter 2012