Dr. Lin's research focuses on three basic questions related to hearing loss and aging:
1. What are the consequences of hearing loss for older adults?
2. How can hearing loss be most effectively addressed in the community?
3. What is the impact of treating hearing loss on older adults?
1) Lin FR, Metter EJ, O'Brien RJ, Resnick SM, Zonderman A, Ferrucci L. Hearing loss and incident dementia. Arch Neurol. 2011 Feb;68(2):214-20.
2) Lin FR, Thorpe R, Gordon-Salant S, Ferrucci L. Hearing loss prevalence and risk factors among older adults in the United States. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 May;66(5):582-90.
3) Lin FR, Ferrucci L, Metter EJ, An Y, Zonderman AB, Resnick SM. Hearing loss and cognition in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Neuropsychology. 2011 Nov;25(6):763-70.
4) Lin FR. Hearing loss and cognition among older adults in the United States. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Oct; (66(10): 1131-6.
5) Lin FR, Niparko JK, Ferrucci L. Hearing loss prevalence in the United States. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Nov 14; 171(20): 1851-2.
6) Lin FR, Ferrucci L. Hearing loss and falls among older adults in the United States. Arch Intern Med. 2012. 172(4): 366-7.
7) Lin FR, Maas P, Chien W, Carey JP, Ferrucci L, Thorpe R. Association of skin color, race/ethnicity, and hearing loss among adults in the USA. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2012, Feb; 13(1): 109-17.
8) Chien W, Lin FR. Prevalence of hearing aid use among older adults in the United States. Arch Intern Med, 2012 Feb 13; 172(3):292-3.
9) Clark JH, Wang NY, Riley AW, Carson CM, Meserole RL, Lin FR, Eisenberg LS, Tobey EA, Quittner AL, Francis HW, Niparko JK, The CDaCI Investigative Team. Timing of cochlear implantation and parents global ratings of childrens health and development. Otol Neurotol. 2012 Jun;33(4):545-552.
10) Davalos-Bichara M, Lin FR, Carey JP, Walston JD, Fairman JE, Schubert MC, Barron JS, Hughes J, Millar J, Spar A, Weber KL, Ying HS, Zackowski KM, Zee D, Agrawal Y. Development and validation of a falls grading scale. J Geriatr Phys Ther, 2012 Jul 17.
11) Lin FR. Hearing loss in older adults: who's listening? JAMA. Mar 21 2012;307(11):1147-1148.
12) Lin FR, Chien W, Li L, Niparko JK, Francis HW. Cochlear implantation in older adults. Medicine, 2012 In press.
13) Lin FR. Implications of hearing loss for older adults. Audiol Neurotol. 2012. In press.
14) Lin FR, Yaffe K, Xia J, Xue QL, Harris TB, Purchase-Helzner, E, Satterfield S, Ayonayon HN, Ferrucci L, Simonsick EM. Hearing loss and cognitive decline among older adults. Arch Int Med, 2012, In press.
15) Swenor BK, Ramulu PY, Willis JR, Friedman D, Lin FR. The prevalence of hearing and vision impairment in the United States. Arch Int Med, 2012, In press.
16) Li L, Simonsick EM, Ferrucci L, Lin FR. Hearing loss and gait speed among older adults in the United States. Gait and Posture, 2012. In press.
Find out more about Dr. Lin's research into hearing loss and aging.
Studying Multiple Outcomes after Aural Rehabilitative Treatment (SMART)
Effects of Hearing Loss Treatment on Primary Communication Partners