I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Pranita D Tamma, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Pediatric Infectious Disease
Research Interests: Improving antibiotic use among children and adults; Multi-drug-resistant gram-negative organisms
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane Clinic
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building, Suite 3149
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Pranita Tamma, M.D., M.H.S. is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases and Director of the Pediatric Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is also an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology at The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
As Director of Antimicrobial Stewardship, she assists clinicians with optimizing the selection of antibiotics, developing guidelines to promote the appropriate and judicious use of antibiotics, and monitoring patient outcomes after implementation of these practices. She is the past and present recipient of federal research funding from the National Institute of Health, Food and Drug Administration, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Her research focuses on clinical outcomes related to antibiotic administration strategies in both children and adults. She is particularly interested in improving diagnostics and therapeutic choices for infections caused by multidrug-resistant gram-negative organisms.
Dr. Tamma is a Committee Member of Society of Healthcare Epidemiology (SHEA) and The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society Antimicrobial Stewardship Committees. Dr. Tamma serves as an advisor to the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Committee and an advisor for CDC efforts to improve inpatient antibiotic prescribing. She is an editor of SHEA-sponsored textbook "Practical Implementation of an Antibiotic Stewardship Programs."
- Director, Pediatric Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, SUNY at Brooklyn College of Medicine (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatric Infectious Diseases (2011)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Infectious Diseases (2011)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (2007)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Goodman K, Lessler J, Cosgrove SE, Harris AD, Lautenbach E, Han JH, Milstone AM, Masey C, & Tamma PD. A clinical decision tree to predict whether a bacteremic patient is infected with an ESBL-producing organism. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Jun 28. pii: ciw425. [Epub ahead of print]
Suwantarat N, Logan LK, Carroll KC, Bonomo RA, Simner PJ, Rudin S, Milstone AM, Tekle T, Ross MT, Tamma PD. The prevalence and molecular epidemiology of multidrug-resistant Enterobacteriaceae colonization in a pediatric intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016;37(5):535-43.
Tamma PD, Han JH, Rock C, Harris AD, Lautenbach E, Hsu AJ, Avdic E, Cosgrove SE. Carbapenem therapy is associated with improved survival compared to piperacillin-tazobactam in patients with ESBL bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60:1319-25
Tamma PD, Turnbull AE, Harris AD, Milstone AM, Hsu AJ, & Cosgrove SE. Less is more: combination antibiotic therapy for the treatment of gram-negative bacteremia in children. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013; 167:903
Tamma PD, Girdwood SC, Gopaul R, Tekle T, Roberts AA, Harris AD, Cosgrove SE, Carroll KC. The Use of Cefepime for Treating AmpC-beta-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae. Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57:781
Activities & Honors
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, 2009
- The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, 2008
- Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2008
- Pediatric Committee on Antimicrobial Stewardship, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2012
- Antibiotic Subcommittee, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2011
- Reviewer, PLoS ONE
- Reviewer, Pediatrics
- Reviewer, The Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society
- Reviewer, The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal
- Reviewer, JAMA Pediatrics
- Reviewer, Clinical Infectious Diseases
- Reviewer, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
- Reviewer, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
- Reviewer, Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy