Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Thomas J Smith, M.D.
The Harry J. Duffey Family Professor of Palliative Medicine Professor of Oncology
Professor of Oncology
Expertise: Breast Cancer, Cancer, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Medical Oncology, Pain Management, Palliative Care
Research Interests: Palliative Care
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8964
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Thomas Smith, M.D., is a professor of oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, director of Palliative Medicine for Johns Hopkins Medicine and the Harry J. Duffey Family Professor of Palliative Care.
He is a medical oncologist and a palliative care specialist with a lifelong interest in better symptom management, communication, and improving access to high quality affordable care. Dr. Smith began Johns Hopkins' hospital-wide palliative care consult service as well as an inpatient unit, and he is dedicated to accelerating palliative care research and education.
Dr. Smith is a Fellow in the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the American Association of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) and is listed among the top oncologists in the country. He is publishing the Oxford Textbook of Communication and the Geriatric Clinics update on Palliative care. He has taught end of life concepts in more than a dozen countries and helped create the Oncology Module for the Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC) Palliative Care Leadership Centers curriculum.
Dr. Smith received his M.D. from Yale Medical School and completed his residency at the University of Pennsylvania and a fellowship in oncology and hematology at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine. He joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins in 2011.
- The Harry J. Duffey Family Professor of Palliative Medicine Professor of Oncology
- Director of Palliative Medicine
- Professor of Oncology
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Yale School of Medicine (1979)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania / Internal Medicine (1982)
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (1987)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Hospice and Palliative Care (2008, 2018)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Medical Oncology (1987)
Research & Publications
Learn more about clinical trials at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Smith T: Fatty Replacement of Lymph Nodes Mimicking Lymphoma Relapse. Cancer. 1986;68(12): 2686-2688
- Smith T: Acute Tumor Lysis Syndrome Following Platelet Transfusion. Virginia Med. 1986;113:100-101
- Smith T, Clark JW, Popp MB: Regression of Tumor Nodules in a Patient Treated with Ranitidine. Arch Int Med. 1987;147(10): 1815-1816
- Smith T: Tumor Lysis Syndrome after Steroid Therapy for Anaphylaxis. S Med J. 1988; 81(3):415-416
- Smith T: H2 Receptor Antagonists and Cancer Immunotherapy. Comprehensive Therapy. 1990;16:8-13
- Smith T, Grossberg HG: Successful Use of Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Am J Med. 1990;89:384-386.
- Smith T, Kaplowitz LG: Treatment of Kaposi's Sarcoma in AIDS Patients with Cimetidine. JNCI. 1991; 83:139-141
- Smith TJ, Desch CE. Neutropenia-wise and pound-foolish: care of the massively obese chemotherapy patient. S Med . 1991; 84:883-885
- Hillner BE, Smith T. Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy in women with node-negative breast cancer. A decision analysis model. N Engl J Med. 1991; 324:160-168.
- Smith T, Desch C, Simonson C, Kane N. Teaching subspecialty medicine in a rural hospital. J Cancer Educ. 1991: 6:1-6
- Smith T, Desch CE, Kaplowitz LG. Pulmonary Disease in the AIDS Patients with Kaposi's sarcoma. Infections in Med. 1992; 9(2):10-16
- Desch CE, Lasala MR, Smith T, Hillner BE. The Optimal Timing of Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation in Hodgkin's Disease Patients Following a Chemotherapy Relapse. J Clin Oncol. 1992; 10:200-209
- Smith T, Brown PA. The Cancer Information Service: What it can do for you. Indian Health Service Provider. 1991;16(10):156-157
- Desch CE, Smith TJ, Briendel CA, Simonson CJ, Kane N. Cancer Treatment in Rural Areas. Hospital and Health Services Admin. 1992; 37:449-463
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Efficacy and Cost-Effectiveness of Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation in Metastatic Breast Cancer -- Estimates using decision analysis while awaiting clinical trial results. JAMA. 1992;267:2055-2062
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Should women with node-negative breast cancer receive adjuvant chemotherapy? Insights from a decision analysis model. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 1992; 23:17-27
- Desch CE, Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Retchin SR. Should the elderly receive chemotherapy for node- negative breast cancer? A Cost -Effectiveness Analysis Examining Total and Active Life- Expectancy Outcomes. J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11:777-782
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. The efficacy and cost-effectiveness of adjuvant therapy of early breast cancer in premenopausal women. J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11:771-776, 1993.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Assessing the cost effectiveness analysis of adjuvant therapies in early breast cancer using a decision analysis model. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 1993; 25:97-105
- Smith TJ, Desch CE, Hillner BE. Efficacy and Cost-effectiveness in Oncology: Rational Allocation of Cancer Care Resources. JNCI. 1993; 85:1460-71
- Smith TJ. Which Hat Do I Wear? Discussing Costs of Breast Cancer Treatment with Patients. JAMA. 1993; 270:1657-1659
- Smith TJ, Desch CE, Hillner BH. Ways to reduce the cost of oncology care without compromising the quality. Cancer Investigation. 1994; 12:257-265
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Principles of cost effectiveness analysis for the assessment of current and new therapies. J Hematherapy. 1993; 2:501-506
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Cost-effective use of autologous bone marrow transplantation: few answers, many questions, and suggestions for future assessments. Pharmacoeconomics.1994; 6:114-126
- Hampton CL, Mazmanian PE, Smith TJ. Applying telecommunications technology: a case study of a videoconference to disseminate breast cancer guidelines. J Continuing Educ in the Professions. 1994; 14:83-89,
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Cost effectiveness and other assessments of adjuvant therapies of early breast cancer. Oncology. 1995;9(11S):129-34.
- Franzak FJ, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Marketing cancer care to rural residents. J Public Policy Marketing. 1995; 14:76-82
- Desch CE, Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Economic considerations in the care of lung cancer patients. Curr Opin Oncol. 1996;8:126-32.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Neighbors DN, McSorley PA, Le Chevalier T. Efficacy and cost effectiveness of chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer: results from a clinical trial comparing vinorelbine, vinorelbine plus cisplatin, and vinorelbine plus cisplatin. J Clin Oncol.1995;13:2166-73.
- Smith TJ, Penberthy L, Desch CE, Whittemore M, Newschaffer C, Hillner BE, McClish D, Retchin SM. Differences in initial treatment patterns and outcomes of lung cancer in the elderly. Lung Cancer 1995;13:235-52.
- Smith TJ, Bodurtha JN. Ethics in Oncology: Balancing interests of the patient, oncologist, and society. J Clin Oncol. 1995;13:2464-70.
- Bennett CL, Smith TJ, George SL, Hillner BE, Fleishman S, Neill B. Free Riding and the Prisoner's Dilemma: problems in funding economic analyses of phase III cancer clinical trials. J Clin Oncol. 1995;13:2457-63.
- Smith TJ. Decision Analysis in Oncology. Oncology 1995;9S:37-46.
- Desch CE, Penberthy LP, Newschaffer CJ, Hillner BE, Whittemore J, McClish D, Smith TJ, Retchin SM. Factors that determine the treatment for local and regional prostate cancer. Medical Care 1996;34:152-162.
- Hillner BE, Desch CE, Carlson RW, Smith TJ, Esserman L, Bear H. Tradeoffs between survival and breast preservation for three initial treatments of ductal carcinoma of the breast. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14:70-77.
- Desch CE, Smith TJ. Defining treatment aims and end-points in older patients with cancer. Drugs & Aging 1995;6:351-357.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Cost-effectiveness analysis of three regimens using vinorelbine(Navelbine) for non-small cell lung cancer. Seminars in Onc.1996;23 (S):25-30.
- Smith TJ. Economic analysis of CSFs. Curr Opin Hemat 1996;3:175-179. Teague KE, Brown JA, Meyer JM, Kahn MJK, Smith TJ, Bodurtha JN. Teaching efficacy of a medical education module on genetic testing for breast cancer. J Cancer Educ. 1996;11:196-202.
- Hillner BE, Penberthy L, Desch CE, McDonald MK, Smith TJ, Retchin SM. Variation in staging and treatment of local and regional breast cancer in the elderly. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 1996;40:75-86.
- Hillner BE, McDonald MK, Penberthy L, Desch CE, Smith TJ, Maddox P, Glasheen WP, Retchin SM. measuring standards of care for early breast cancer in an insured population. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:1401-1408.
- Winn RJ, Smith TJ. The American Society of Clinical Oncology Guideline Program. Pharmacy Practice Management Quarterly 1996;16:31-38.
- Smith TJ, Desch CE, Grasso MA, McCue MJ, Buonaito D, Grasso K, Johantgen ME, Hackney MH, Shaw JE, Simonson CJ. The rural cancer outreach program: clinical and financial analysis of palliative and curative care for an underserved population. Cancer Treatment Reviews 1996;22S:97-101.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Cost effectiveness and other assessments of adjuvant therapies for early breast cancer. Oncology 1995;9S:129-134.
- Desch CE, Smith TJ. Economic considerations in the care of lung cancer patients. Current Opinion in Oncology 1996;8:126-132.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Schmitz N, Linch DC, Dreger P, Goldstone AH, Boogaerts MA, Ferrant A, Link H, Zander A, Yanovich S, Kitchin R, Erder MH. Economic. Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial to Compare Filgrastim-Mobilized Peripheral Blood Progenitor Cell Transplantation and Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation in Patients with Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 1997;15:5-10.
- Bennett C, Smith TJ, Weeks J, Bredt J, Feinglass J, Fettting J, Hillner B, Somerfield M, Winn R. Use of hematopoietic colony stimulating factors: Am Soc Clin Onc Survey. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2511-2520.
- Hillner BE, Kirkwood JM, Atkins MB, Johnson ER, Smith TJ. Economic Analysis of Adjuvant Interferon-alpha B in High Risk Malignant Melanoma. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:2351-2358.
- Hillner BE, McDonald MK, Desch CE, Smith TJ, Penberthy LT, Maddox P, Retchin SM. Costs of care associated with non-small cell lung cancer in a commercially insured cohort. J Clin Onc. 1998;16:1420-1424.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Mitchell RB. Editorial. Decision analysis in non-small cell lung cancer: not back to the modeling board, back to the bedside. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:870-872.
- Milanese S, Hansen LA, Desch CE, Honeycutt C, Tesfaye F, Smith TJ. Impact of histamine and histamine-2 receptor antagonists on quality of life and anti-tumor response: results of a pilot trial. Eur J Cancer. 1998; 33(14):2436-2437.
- Smith TJ, Desch CE, Hackney MH, Shaw JE. How long does it take to get a "do not resuscitate order"? J Palliat Care 1997;13:5-8.
- Smith TJ, Somerfield MR. The ASCO experience with evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Oncology 1997;11(Suppl 9):1-5.
- Bloomfield DJ, Krahn MD, Neogi T, Panzarella T, Smith TJ, Warde P, Willan AR, Ernst S, Moore MJ, Neville A, Tannock IF. Economic evaluation of chemotherapy with mitoxantrone plus prednisone for symptomatic hormone resistant prostate cancer, based on a Canadian randomized trial with palliative endpoints. J Clin Oncol.1998, 16:2272-2279.
- Smith TJ, Somerfield MJ, Desch CE, David M. Would oncologists want chemotherapy if they had non-small cell lung cancer? Results of a 1997 survey. Oncology. 1998;12:360-65.
- Desch CE, Grasso M, McCue M, Buonaiuto D, Grasso K, Smith TJ. A rural cancer outreach program lowers patient care costs and benefits both the rural hospitals and sponsoring academic medical center. J Rural Health, 1999;15:157-167.
- Smith TJ, Schnipper LJ. The American Society of Clinical Oncology Program to Improve End of Life Care. J Palliative Medicine. 1998;1:221-230.
- Penberthy L, Retchin SM, McDonald MK, McClish DK, Desch CE, Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Newschaffer CJ. Predictors of Medicare costs in elderly beneficiaries with breast, colorectal, lung, or prostate cancer. Health Care Manag Sci 1999;2:149-60.
- Smith TJ. Health service studies in the terminally ill patient. Cancer Treat Res.1998;97:81-97.
- Hillner BE, McDonald MK, Desch CE, Smith TJ, Penberthy LT, Retchin SM. A comparison of patterns of care of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma patients in a younger and Medigap Commercially insured cohort. Cancer 1998;83:1930-7.
- Desch CE, Penberthy LT, Hillner BE, McDonald MK, Smith TJ, Pozez AL, Retchin SM. A sociodemographic and economic comparison of breast reconstruction, mastectomy, and conservative surgery. Surgery, 1999; 125:441-447.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Hospital and physician volume or specialization and outcome in cancer treatment. J Clin Onc. 2000;18:2327-2340.
- Somerfield MR, Stefanek ME, Smith TJ. A systems model for adaptation to somatic distress among cancer survivors. Psycho-oncology, 1999, 8:334-343.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Clodronate reduced the incidence of bony and visceral metastases in patients with breast cancer and tumor cells in the bone marrow. Evidence-Based Medicine. 1999;4:43.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Tamoxifen should be cost-effective in reducing breast cancer risks in high- risk women. J Clin Onc. 2000, 18:284-286.
- Bennett CL, Weeks JA, Somerfield MR, Feinglass J, Smith TJ. Use of Hematopoietic Colony Stimulating Factors: Comparison of the 1994 and 1997 Am Soc Clin Onc Surveys Regarding ASCO Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Clin Oncol, 1999,17: 1-6.
- Arthur DW, Schmidt-Ullrich RK, Friedman RB, Wazer DE, Kachnic LA, Amir C, Bear HD, Hackney MH, Smith TJ, Lawrence W. Accelerated Superfractionated Radiotherapy for Inflammatory Breast Carcinoma: Complete Response Predicts Outcome and Allows for Breast Conservation. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phys.1999; 44:289-296.
- Bennett CL, Bishop MR, Tallman MS, Somerfield MR, Feinglass J, Smith TJ. for the Health Services Research Committee of Am Soc Clin Onc. The association between physician reimbursement in the US and use of hematopoeitic colony stimulating factors as adjunct therapy for older patients acute myeloid leukemia: Results from the 1997 Am Soc Clin Onc survey. Ann Oncol, 1999;10:1355-1359.
- Hillner BE, Weeks JC, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Pamidronate in prevention of bone complications in metastatic breast cancer: a cost effectiveness analysis. J Clin Onc, 2000, 18:72-79.
- Smith TJ. Future strategies needed for palliative care. Seminars in Radiation Oncology, 2000, 10:254-261.
- Smith TJ. Tell it like it is. J Clin Onc, 2000; 18:3441-3445.
- Smith TJ, Girtman J, Riggins J. Why Academic Divisions of Hematology/Oncology Are in Trouble and Some Suggestions for Resolution. J Clin Onc. 2001;19:260-264.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Ensuring Quality Cancer Care by the Use of Clinical Practice Guidelines and Critical Pathways. J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 2886-2897.
- Coyne P, Ramakrishnan V, Smith TJ. Nebulized fentanyl improves patients' perception of breathing, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation in dyspnea. J Pain Symptom Management, 2002; 23: 157-60.
- Smith TJ, Staats PS, Deer T, Stearns LJ, Rauck RL, Boortz-Marx RL, Buchser E, Català E, Bryce DA, Coyne PJ, Pool GE; Implantable Drug Delivery Systems Study Group. Randomized clinical trial of comprehensive medical management of refractory cancer pain vs. comprehensive medical management plus intrathecal implantable drug delivery systems. J Clin Onc. 2002; 20: 4040-9
- Quillin JM, Boardman CH, Bodurtha J, Smith T. Preventive gynecologic surgery for BRCA1/2 carriers--information for decision-making. Gynecol Oncol. 2003; Oct;83(1):168-70
- Smith TJ, Cassel JB, Coyne PS, Hager MA. A high-volume specialist palliative care unit and team may reduce in-hospital end-of-life care costs. J Pall Med. 2003;6:699-705.
- Smith TJ. Medically appropriate follow up of the patient with lung cancer: an evidence based approach. Seminars in Oncology, June 2003:30;361-368.
- Smith TJ, Coyne P, Staats P. Implantable drug delivery systems: what is the evidence? Supportive Cancer Therapy. 2004:1:1-5.
- Smith TJ, Coyne P. How to use implantable intrathecal drug delivery systems for refractory cancer pain. J Supportive Oncology. 2003:1:1-4.
- Smith TJ. We can reduce the cost of in-hospital end of life care. Oncology Times. 2003;225(11):4-6.
- Penberthy L, McClish D, Manning C, Retchin S, Smith TJ. The Added Value of Claims for Cancer Surveillance: Results of Varying Case Definitions. Med Care. 2005 Jul;43(7):705-12.
- Smith TJ, Swainey C, Coyne PJ. Pain Management, including Intrathecal Pumps. Curr Oncol Rep. 2004 Jul;6(4):291-6.
- Coyne PJ, Hansen L, Laird J, Buster P, Smith T. "Massive Hydromorphone Dose Delivered Subcutaneously Instead of Intrathecally : Guidelines for Prevention and Management of Opioid, Local Anesthetic and Clonidine Overdose." J Pain Symptom Management 2004: 28/3:273-276.
- Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, for the Cancer Pain Trial investigators. Implantable drug delivery systems (IDDS) after failure of comprehensive medical management (CMM) can palliate symptoms in the most refractory cancer pain patients. J Pall Med. 2005; 8(4):736-42.
- Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, Smith WR, Roberts JD, Smith VS. Use of an Implantable Drug Delivery System for Refractory Chronic Sickle Cell Pain. Am J Hematology. 2005; Feb;78(2):153-4.
- Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, Staats PS, Deer T, Stearns LJ, Rauck RL, Boortz-Marx RL, Buchser E, Català E, Bryce DA, Cousins M, Pool GE. Intrathecal implantable drug delivery systems give sustained pain control, less side effects, and possibly better survival for six months: results of a randomized clinical trial vs. comprehensive medical management. Ann Oncol. 2005; May;16(5):825-33. Epub 2005 Apr 7.
- Khatcheressian J, Cassel JB, Lyckholm L, Coyne P, Hagenmueller A, Smith TJ. Improving palliative and supportive care in cancer patients. Oncology (Williston Park). 2005; Sep;19(10):1365-76; discussion 1377-8, 1381-2, 1384 passim.
- Khatcheressian JL, Smith TJ. (Ed) Randomized Trial of Long-Term Follow-Up for Early- Stage Breast Cancer: A Comparison of Family Physician Versus Specialist Care. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:1-3.
- Matsuyama R, Reddy SN, Smith TJ. Why do patients choose chemotherapy near the end of life? A review of the perspective of those facing death from cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006; Jul 20;24(21):3490-6.
- White K, Stover KG, Cassel JB, Smith TJ. Nonclinical outcome of hospital based palliative care. J Healthcare Management. 2006;51:253-265.
- Sterling RK, Lyons CD, Stravitz RT, Luketic VA, Sanyal AJ, Carr ME, Smith TJ, Hackney MH, Contos MJ, Mills SA, Kuhn JG, Nolte ME, Shiffman ML. Percutaneous liver biopsy in adult haemophiliacs with hepatitis C virus: safety of outpatient procedure and impact of human immunodeficiency virus coinfection on the spectrum of liver disease. Haemophilia. 2007; Mar;13(2):164-71.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Do the large benefits justify the large costs of adjuvant breast cancer trastuzumab? J Clin Oncol. 2007; Feb 20;25(6):611-3.
- Kelso CM, Lyckholm LJ, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ. Palliative care consultation in the process of organ donation after cardiac death. J Palliat Med. 2007; Feb;10(1):118-26. Review.
- Khatcheressian J, Smith TJ. Review: adding cytotoxic drugs to a chemotherapy regimen increases tumor response rates and toxicity, but not survival in metastatic breast cancer.ACP J Club. 2007; Jan-Feb;146(1):5.
- Lingerfelt BM, Swainey CW, Smith TJ, Coyne PJ. Nebulized lidocaine for intractable cough near the end of life. J Support Oncol. 2007; Jul-Aug;5(7):301-2
- Chao BH, Cline-Parhamovich K, Grizzard JD, Smith TJ. Fatal Loeffler's endocarditis due to hypereosinophilic syndrome. Am J Hematol. 2007; Oct;82(10):920-3.
- Matsuyama, RK, Grange C, Lyckholm LJ, Utsey SO, Smith TJ. Cultural Perceptions in Cancer Care among African-American and Caucasian Patients. Jrnl Ntl Med Assoc. 2007; 99(10):1113-1119
- Khatcheressian J, Smith TJ. Symptom-oriented follow-up of early breast cancer - as good as conventional control and sparing resources. Onkologie. 2007; Sep;30(8-9):410-2.
- Grange C, Matsuyama RK, Ingram K, Lyckholm LJ, Smith TJ. Identifying supportive and unsupportive responses of others: Perspectives of African-American and caucasian cancer patients. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2008;26(1):81-99.
- Chao BH, Stogner-Underwood KA, Kiev J, Smith TJ. Intrathoracic malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in neurofibromatosis 1. J Clin Oncol. 2008 May 1;26(13):2216-8.
- Quillin JM, Bodurtha JN, Smith TJ. Genetics assessment at the end of life: suggestions for implementation in clinic and future research. J Palliat Med. 2008 May-Jun;11(3):451-8.
- Harrington SE, Smith TJ. The role of chemotherapy at the end of life: "When is enough, enough?" JAMA. 2008; Jun 11;299(22):2667-78.)
- Coyne P, Smith T, Bobb B, Lyckholm L. Epidural Screening Before Intrathecal Analgesia. J Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy 2008;22:69-70.
- Smith TJ. Magnesium supplements for menopausal hot flashes. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Mar 1;27(7):1151-2. Epub 2009 Jan 26.
- Dow LA, Matsuyama RK, Ramakrishnan V, Kuhn L, Lamont EB, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ.Paradoxes in advance care planning: the complex relationship of oncology patients, their physicians, and advance medical directives.J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jan 10;28(2):299-304. Epub 2009 Nov 23.
- Cassel JB, Hager MA, Clark RR, Retchin SM, Dimartino J, Coyne PJ, Riggins J, Smith TJ. Concentrating hospital-wide deaths in a palliative care unit: the effect on place of death and system-wide mortality. J Palliat Med. 2010; Apr;13(4):371-4.
- Smith TJ, Dow L, Virago E, Khatchressian J, Matsuyama R, Kuhn L, Lyckholm L. Giving honest information to patients with advanced cancer maintains hope. Oncology (Williston Park). 2010; May; 24(6):521-5.
- Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, Parker G, Dodson P. Pilot trial of a Patient-specific Cutaneous Electro-stimulation Device (MC5-A Calmare®) for Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral ] Neuropathy. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010; Dec;40(6):883-91.
- Newport K, Patel S, Coyne P, Lyckholm L, Dow LA, Smith TJ. The "PSOST" – a sign out tool for Practitioners Orders about Life Sustaining Treatment. J Palliat Med.. 2010; Sep;13(9):1055-8.
- Cassel JB, Kerr K, Pantilat S, Smith TJ. Palliative care consultation and hospital length of stay. J Palliat Med. 2010 Jun;13(6):761-7. Review.
- Quillin J, Bodurtha JN, Siminoff LA, Smith TJ. "Exploring Hereditary Cancer among Dying Cancer Patients – A Cross-Sectional Study of Hereditary Risk and Perceived Awareness of DNA Testing and Banking" J Genetic Counseling, 2010 Oct;19(5):497-525.
- Roberts SB, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ, Lyckholm LL. Palliative Use of Aminocaproic Acid to Control Upper gastrointestinal Bleeding. J Pain Symptom Mgmt. 2010; Sep;40(3):e1-3. Epub 8/1/10
- Lyckholm LL, Coyne PJ, Kreutzer KO, Ramakrishnan V, Smith TJ. Barriers to Effective Palliative Care for Low- Income Patients in Late Stages of Cancer: Report of a Study and Strategies for Defining and Conquering the Barriers. Nurs Clin N Am. 2010; 45:399–409
- Salloum RG, Smith TJ, Jensen GA, Elston Lafata J, Using Claims-Based Measures to Predict Performance Status Score in Lung Cancer Patients. Cancer. 2011 Mar 1;117(5):1038-48.
- Cassel JB, Jones AB, Meier DE, Smith TJ, Spragens LH, Weissman D. Hospital mortality rates: How is palliative care taken into account. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010; Oct 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cassel JB, Webb-Wright J, Holmes J, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ. Clinical and financial impact of a palliative care program at a small rural hospital. J Palliat Med. 2010; Nov;13(11):1339-43. Epub 2010 Oct 30.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Explaining Marginal Benefit to Patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2010; Dec 15;16(24):5981-6.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Allocating cancer-directed expenditures-tension between prevention, early detection, and treatment. Recent Results in Cancer. 2011;188:1-9.
- Swetz KM, Smith TJ. Palliative chemotherapy: when is it worth it and when is it not? Cancer J. 2010; Sep-Oct;16(5):467-72.
- Matsuyama R, Balliet W, Ingram K, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ. Will patients want hospice or palliative care if they don't know what it is? J Hosp Pall Nursing. 2011; 13:41-46.
- Coyne PJ, Wozencraft CP, Roberts SB, Bobb B, Smith TJ. Dexmedetomidine: exploring its potential role and dosing guideline for its use in intractable pain in the palliative care setting. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2010 Dec;24(4):384-6.
- Roberts S, Wozencraft C, Coyne P, Smith TJ. Dexmedetomidine as an adjuvant analgesic for intractable cancer pain. J Palliat Med. 2011; Mar;14(3):371-3.
- Quillin J, Bodurtha JN, Siminoff L, Smith TJ. Physicians' Current Practices and Opportunities for DNA Banking of Dying Cancer Patients. J Oncology Practice May 2011:183-187
- Smith TJ*, Dow LA, Virago E, Khatcheressian J, Matsuyama RM. A pilot trial of truthful decision aids for patients with metastatic advanced cancer. J Support Oncol; 2011;9:79–86 doi:10.1016/j.suponc.2010.12.005
- Park H, Parker G, Dodson P, Boardman C, Morris MM, Smith TJ. Oral magnesium reduces hot flashes in breast cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer. 2011; 19:859–863
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Bending the cost curve in cancer care. N Engl J Med. 2011; May 26;364(21):2060-5.
- Salloum H, Smith TJ, Elston-Lafata J, Summers GJ. Concordance of chemotherapy use in non-small lung cancer patients with ASCO guidelines: overuse and underuse in a large community practice. Lung Cancer. 2012 Feb;75(2):255-60.
- Marineo G, Iorno V, Gandini C, Moschini V, Smith TJ*. Scrambler Therapy May Relieve Chronic Neuropathic Pain More Effectively Than Guideline Based Drug Management: Results of a Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Jan;43(1):87-95.
- Olsen ML, Havyer RD, Smith TJ, Swetz KM. Difficult Cases of Pain and Nonpain Symptoms in Intractable Spinal Infections: A Case Series. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2011 Dec 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Paice JA, Erickson-Hurt C, Ferrell B, Coyle N, Coyne PJ, Long CO, Mazanec P, Malloy P, Smith TJ. Providing pain and palliative care education internationally. J Support Oncol. 2011 Jul-Aug;9(4):129-33.
- Smith TJ, Vota S, Patel S, Coyne PJ, Bobb B, Ford TL, Lyckholm L, Bhushan A. Organ donation after cardiac death from withdrawal of life support in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Palliat Med. 2012 Jan;15(1):16-9. Epub 2011 Dec 7.
- Smith TJ, Coyne P, Fletcher D, Ritter JK, Dodson P. J Pain Symptom Manage. ABH Gel Is Not Absorbed From the Skin of Normal Volunteers. 2012 May;43(5):961-6.
- Wozencraft CP, Coyne PJ, Grinnan DC, Morel TD, Muzevich KM, Smith TJ. Epoprostenol Use for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in the Palliative Care Setting. J Palliat Med. 2012 Mar 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mack JW, Smith TJ. Reasons why doctors do not have discussions about poor prognosis, why it matters, and what can be improved. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Jul 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lyckholm, L., Heddinger S.,Parker,G., Ramikrishnan,V., Coyne, P., Smith T., Henkin,R., "A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Trial of Oral Zinc for Chemotherapy-related Taste and Smell Disorders.", J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2012 Jun;26(2):111-4.
- Chen C, Coyne PJ, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ. Inaccurate Prognostication after the ARCTIC Protocol. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Jun;43(6):1120-5
- Salloum RG, Smith TJ, Jensen GA, Elston-Lafata J. Survival among Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients with Poor Performance Status after First Line Chemotherapy. Lung Cancer. 2012 Sep;77(3):545-9.
- Grinnan DC, Swetz KM, Pinson J, Fairman P, Lyckholm LJ, Smith T. The end-of-life experience for a cohort of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. J Palliat Med. 2012 Oct;15(10):1065-70. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2012.0085. Epub 2012 Jul 30.
- Lathia N, Isogai PK, Angelis CD, Smith TJ, Cheung M, Mittmann N, Hoch JS, Walker S. Cost-Effectiveness of Filgrastim and Pegfilgrastim as Primary Prophylaxis Against Febrile Neutropenia in Lymphoma Patients. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Aug 7;105(15):1078-1085. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Smith TJ, Marineo G. Treatment of Postherpetic Pain With Scrambler Therapy, a Patient-Specific Neurocutaneous Electrical Stimulation Device. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 Jul 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fillingim, R.B., Bruehl, S., Dworkin, R.H., Dworkin, S.F., Loeser, J.D., Turk, D.C., Widerstrom-Noga, E., Arnold, L., Bennett, R., Edwards, R.R., Freeman, R., Gewandter, J., Hertz, S., Hochberg, M., Krane, E., Mantyh, P.W., Markman, J., Neogi, T., Ohrbach, R., Paice, J., Porreca, F., Rappaport, B.A., Smith, S.M., Smith, T.J., Sullivan, M.D., Verne, G.N., Wasan, A.D. & Wesselmann, U. (in press). The ACTTION-American Pain Society Pain Taxonomy (AAPT): An evidence-based and multi-dimensional approach to classifying chronic pain conditions. J Pain. 2014 Mar;15(3):241-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2014.01.004.PMID: 24581634
- Sexauer A, Cheng JM, Knight L, Smith TJ*. Brief Report: Patterns of hospice use in patients dying from hematologic malignancies. J Palliat Med. 2014 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Coyne PJ, Dodson PA, Wan W, Swainey C, Smith TJ.* An Expanded Trial of Scrambler Therapy in the Treatment of Cancer Pain Syndromes And Chronic Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2013 Dec;27(4):359-64. doi: 10.3109/15360288.2013.847519. Epub 2013 Oct 21.PMID:24143893
- Yeh J, Cheng JC, Chung CH, Smith TJ. Using a Question-Prompt List as a Communication Aid for Advanced Cancer Care. J Oncol Pract. 2014 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kelly R, Smith TJ. Delivering maximum clinical benefit at an affordable price: engaging stakeholders in cancer care. The Lancet Oncology, Early Online Publication, 14 February 2014. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70578-3
- Fletcher D, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ. A randomized trial of the effectiveness of topical "ABH gel" (Ativan®, lorazepam; Benadryl®, diphenhydramine; and Haldol®, haloperidol gel) versus placebo in cancer patients with nausea. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2014 May 2. pii: S0885-3924(14)00193-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.02.010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ferguson A, Cooper RA, Bodurtha JN, Smith TJ. AMEN in Challenging Conversations: Bridging the Gaps Between Faith, Hope and Medicine. Or, What to do when the patient says, "I am hoping for a miracle." J Oncol Pract. 2014 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Malloy P, Paice J, Coyle N, Coyne P, Smith T, Ferrell B. Promoting Palliative Care Worldwide Through International Nursing Education. J Transcult Nurs. 2014 Mar 4 (epub ahead of print)
- Sun V, Cooke L, Chung V, Uman G, Smith TJ, Ferrell B. Feasibility of a Palliative Care Intervention for Cancer Patients in Phase I Clinical Trials. J Palliat Med. 2014 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ellsworth SG, Alcorn SR, Hales RK, McNutt TR, DeWeese TL, Smith TJ. Patterns of care among patients receiving radiation therapy for bone metastases at a large academic institution. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Aug 1;89(5):1100-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.04.028. Epub 2014 Jul 8. PMID: 25035214
- Aslakson R, Cheng J, Vollenweider D, Galusca D, Smith TJ, Pronovost PJ. Evidence-based palliative care in the intensive care unit: a systematic review of interventions. J Palliat Med. 2014 Feb;17(2):219-35. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2013.0409. PMID: 24517300
- Moghanaki D, Schuster L, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ. A Clinic offering Affordable Radiation Therapy (CART) to Increase Access to Care for Patients Enrolled in Hospice. J Onc Practice, in press.
- Pachman DR, Weisbroad BM, Seisler DK, Barton DL, Fee-Schroeder KC, Smith TJ, Lachance DH, Lie H, Shelerud RA, Cheville A, Loprinzi CL. Pilot Evaluation of Scrambler Therapy for the Treatment of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. J Supp Care Cancer, in press.
- Mulvey CL, Smith TJ, Gourin CG. The Use of Inpatient Palliative Care Services In Patients With Metastatic Incurable Head and Neck Cancer. Head and Neck, in press.
- Park H, Loprinzi C, Smith TJ. NCCTG N10C2 (Alliance) - A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Magnesium Supplements to Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes. J Supp Oncol, accepted for publication.
- Mitchell MM, Robinson AC, Nguyen TQ, Smith TJ, Knowlton AR. Predictors of Preferences for Professional vs. Informal Care at End of Life Among Predominantly African American Current or Former Injection Drug Users with HIV/AIDS. AIDS Care, 2014, in press.
- Cheng MJ, Hourigan CS, Smith TJ. Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia Long-term Survivors. J Leukemia, epub ahead of print.
- Kelly RJ, Forde PM, Elnahal Sm, Forastiere AA, Rosner GL, Smith TJ. "Yes we can" - patients and physicians can discuss costs of cancer treatment. JNCCN, in press.
- Ferrell BR, Smith TJ, Levit L, Balogh E. Improving the quality of cancer care: implications for palliative care. J Palliat Med. 2014 Apr;17(4):393-9. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2013.0536. Epub 2014 Feb 18. PMID: 24548217
- Hughes MT, Smith TJ. The growth of palliative care in the United States. Annu Rev Public Health. 2014;35:459-75. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182406. PMID: 24641562
- Fillingim RB, Bruehl S, Dworkin RH, Dworkin SF, Loeser JD, Turk DC, Widerstrom-Noga E, Arnold L, Bennett R, Edwards RR, Freeman R, Gewandter J, Hertz S, Hochberg M, Krane E, Mantyh PW, Markman J, Neogi T, Ohrbach R, Paice JA, Porreca F, Rappaport BA, Smith SM, Smith TJ, Sullivan MD, Verne GN, Wasan AD, Wesselmann U. The ACTTION-American Pain Society Pain Taxonomy (AAPT): an evidence-based and multidimensional approach to classifying chronic pain conditions. J Pain. 2014 Mar;15(3):241-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2014.01.004. PMID: 24581634 [PubMed - in process]
- Cheng MJ, Hourigan CS, Smith TJ. Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia Long-term Survivors. J Leuk (Los Angel). 2014 Apr 10;2(2). pii: 26855.
- Pachman DR, Weisbrod BL, Seisler DK, Barton DL, Fee-Schroeder KC, Smith TJ, Lachance DH. Pilot evaluation of Scrambler therapy for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Support Care Cancer DOI 10.1007/s00520-014-2424-8, epub before print.
- Schuster JM, Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, Lutz S, Anscher MS, Moghanaki D. Clinic Offering Affordable Radiation Therapy to Increase Access to Care for Patients Enrolled in Hospice. J Oncol Pract. 2014 Sep 30. pii: JOP.2014.001505. [Epub ahead of print]
- Park H, Qin R, Smith TJ, Atherton PJ, Barton DL, Sturtz K, Dakhil SR, Anderson DM, Flynn K, Puttabasavaiah S, Le-Lindqwister NA, Padula GD, Loprinzi CL. North Central Cancer Treatment Group N10C2 (Alliance): a double-blind placebo-controlled study of magnesium supplements to reduce menopausal hot flashes. Menopause. 2014 Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25423327
- Smith T. Editorial: Author! JAMA. 1990; 263:3193
- Smith TJ. Lessons in Survival. In "Caring for the Dying: Identification and promotion of physician competency." Am Coll Physicians. ACP, Philadelphia, PA, 1997.
- Smith TJ. Lessons from living among the dying. J Pastoral Care. 1997;51:237-240.
- Smith TJ, Bear HD. (Editorial) Colorectal cancer follow up: making guidelines based on the evidence. Gastroenterology 1998;114:211-213.
- Smith TJ, Mitchell RB. (Editorial) The Mather Article Reviewed: Economic and clinical analysis of lung cancer treatments. Oncology 1998;12:210-216.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. [Editorial] When does a clinical trial warrant an economic analysis? JNCI. 1998;90:724-5
- Smith TJ, Swisher K. [Editorial] Telling cancer patients the truth: why we should why we don't, and why it matters. JAMA 1998;279:1746-1748.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ (editorial). Hospital volume and patient outcomes in major cancer surgery: a catalyst for quality assessment and concentration of cancer services. JAMA. 1998;280:1783-4.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Bear HD. Taking action on the volume-quality relationship: How long can we hide our heads in the colostomy bag? J Natl Cancer Inst 2003;95:695-8. (Invited editorial.)
- French W, Coyne P, Smith T. "Peer Viewpoint: Management of Dyspnea." J Supportive Onc 2003;(5-6): 1:28-29
- Smith T. Adding hospice and palliative care services to the cancer center menu. J Palliat Med. 2003;6:641-644.
- Webb-Wright J, Sacks TE, Smith TJ. The Cherny article reviewed. Oncology. 2004;18(12): 18-19
- Smith TJ. The American Society of Clinical Oncology Recommended Breast Cancer Surveillance Guidelines can be done in a routine office visit. J Clin Oncol. 2005; Sep20;23(27):6807
- Khatcheressian J, Smith TJ. Practice changing implications today, compelling data for tomorrow. Palliative and Supportive Care (eds). Oncology 2006; 20: 43-8.
- Schapira L, Moynihan TJ, von Gunten C, Smith TJ. Phase I Versus Palliative Care: Striking the Right Balance. J Clin. Onc. 2009(27):307-308
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Efficacy Does Not Necessarily Translate to Cost-Effectiveness-A Case Study in the Challenges Associated with 21st Century Cancer Drug Pricing. J Clin Oncol. 2009; May 1;27(13):2111-3.
- Smith TJ, Snyder C. Cancer survivorship care plans: Is it time for plan B? J Clin Oncol. 2011 Dec 20;29(36):4740-2. Epub 2011 Oct 31
- Smith TJ, Gatesman M. Perspectives: the cancer drug shortage. New England Journal of Medicine N Engl J Med. 2011 Nov 3;365(18):1653-5. Epub 2011 Oct 31.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Wiser Use of Dose-Dense Adjuvant Therapy in Breast Cancer" Dose-Dense Adjuvant Therapy in Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Mar 10;30(8):772-4. Epub 2012 Feb 6.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Rethinking our use of CSFs in the adjuvant treatment of women who have estrogen receptor positive cancers. J Oncol Prac (JOP) podcast, 2012.
- Smith TJ, Longo DL. Talking with patients about dying. N Engl J Med. 2012 Oct 25;367(17):1651-2. doi: 10.1056/NEJMe1211160.
- Smith TJ. Breast cancer surveillance guidelines. J Oncol Pract. 2013 Jan;9(1):65-7. doi: 10.1200/JOP.2012.000787. No abstract available. PMID: 23633975
- Dzeng E, Smith TJ. Rationing healthcare: who's responsible? Oncology (Williston Park). 2013 Feb;27(2):91, 96. No abstract available. PMID: 23530399
- Ellsworth SY, Smith TJ, Lutz S. Radiation Oncologists, Mortality, and Treatment Choices A commentary on: "How radiation oncologists evaluate and incorporate life expectancy estimates into the treatment of palliative cancer patients: a survey-based study" Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Nov 1;87(3):437-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.08.017
- Parikh RB, Kirch RA, Smith TJ, Temel JS. Early Specialty Palliative Care – Translating Data in Oncology into Practice and Policy. N Engl J Med. 2013 Dec 12;369(24):2347-51. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsb1305469
- Kelly RJ, Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Cost-Effectiveness of Crizotinib for Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Positive, Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Who Is Going to Blink at the Cost? J Clin Oncol. 2014 Feb 24. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available. PMID:24567437
Invited Review Articles
- Smith T, Viverette JF, Adelman BA. The Use of Antithrombotic Therapy in the Elderly. Ger Clin North Am 1985;1: 877-897
- Brown PA, Ames N, Mettger W, Smith TJ, Gramarossa G, Friedell GH, McDonald SS. Closing the Comprehension Gap: The link between cancer and illiteracy. JNCI Monographs. 1993;14:147-156
- Hillner BE, Smith T. A model of chemotherapy in node-negative breast cancer. JNCI Monographs 1992;11:143-149
- Smith TJ. End of life care: preserving quality and quantity of life in managed care. In Perry MC (Ed) American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book, Am Soc Clin Onc, Alexandria, VA, 1997. pp 303-307.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE, Desch CE. High dose chemotherapy for breast cancer: efficacy, cost, and cost-effectiveness. in Am Soc Clin Onc Educational Book, Chicago, Illinois. 2000 p 86-91.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Methods of developing clinical practice guidelines. in American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book, Chicago, Illinois. 1998 p 261-265.
- Morrison SE, Meier DE, Cassel CK, Smith TJ, Discussant, Clinical Problem- Solving] When too much is too little. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1755-60.
- Brown ML, Glick HA, Harrell FE, Herndon JE, McCabe MS, Moinpour CM, Schulman K, Smith TJ, Weeks JC, Seils DM. Integrating economic analysis into cancer clinical trials: the NCI- ASCO Economics Workbook. J Natl Cancer Institute Monographs 1998;24:1-28.
- National Work Group on Literacy and Health (core member). Report of the National Work Group on Literacy and Health: suggestions for clinical practice and research. J Family Practice. 1998;46:168-176.
- Lyckholm LJ, Hackney MH, Smith TJ. Ethics of rural health care. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 2001; 40:131-138.
- Payne SK, Coyne P, Smith TJ. The health economics of palliative care. Oncology (Huntingdon) 2002;16:801-8.
- Loprinzi CL, Hayes D, Smith T. Doc, Shouldn't We Be Getting Some Tests? J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 2345-2348
- Neff P, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ. Truth or consequences: what to do when the patient doesn't want to know. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3035-3037.
- Coyne PJ, Smith TJ, Laird J, Hansen LA, Drake D. Effectively starting and titrating intrathecal analgesic therapy in patients with refractory cancer pain. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2005; Oct;9(5):581-3. Review.
- Smith TJ, Swainey C, Coyne PJ. Pain management, including intrathecal pumps. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005 Aug;9(4):243-8. Review.
- Smith TJ, Khatcheressian J. Review: chemotherapy and hormonal therapy reduce recurrence and mortality at 15 years in early breast cancer. ACP J Club. 2005 Nov-Dec;143(3):58. No abstract available.
- Youssef JA, Lyckholm LJ, Smith TJ, Shickle L, Parker GG, Matsuyama RK. A comparison of hematology/ oncology clinic attendance between insured and underinsured patients at an urban academic hospital: Identifying barriers and ways to overcome them. Supp Oncol. 2006;4:435-Abstract PA-16. Available from: www.supportiveoncology.net. Accessed 2/15/07.
- Kracen AC, Matsuyama R, Reddy S, & Smith TJ. Non-small cell lung cancer: A patient's end of life decision to pursue chemotherapy. Am JHemat/Onc. 2006;5, 687-690.
- Smith TJ. How to improve quality and cut costs of palliative oncology. ASCO Daily News, June 2008, 2-3.
- Khatcheressian J, Harrison SE, Lyckholm LJ, Smith TJ. "Futile Care": what to do when your patient insists on chemotherapy that likely won't help. Oncology 2008;22: 881-8.
- Smith TJ, Coyne P, French W, Corrigan P. Failure to accrue to a study of nebulized fentanyl for dyspnea: lessons learned. J Palliat Med. 2009; Sep;12(9):771-2.
- McFarlane J, Riggins J, Smith TJ. "SPIKE$" – a six step protocol for delivering bad news about the cost of medical care. With apologies to Dr. Robert Buchman. J Clinical Oncology 2008;26:4200-5
- Chung HM, Lyckholm L, Smith TJ. Palliative Care in Bone Marrow Transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009 Feb;43(4):265-73.
- Swetz KM, Lyckholm LJ, Smith TJ. Maximal medical therapy and palliative care can work together: when are advanced care measures appropriate? J Hosp Med. 2009; Sep;4(7):453-6.
- Smith TJ, Hillner BE. Concrete Options and Ideas for Increasing Value in Oncology Care: The View from One Trench. Oncologist, Mar 2010; 15: 65 – 72
- Smith TJ, Cassel JB. Cost and non-clinical outcomes of palliative care. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2009; Jul;38(1):32-44. Review.
- Harrington SE, Smith TJ. Providing palliative care and transitioning patients to hospice: how oncologists and palliative care specialists can work together. Community Oncology. 2010; 7:1-5
- Paice JA, Ferrell B, Coyle N, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ. Living and Dying in East Africa: implementing the End of Life Nursing Education Consortium Curriculum in Tanzania. Clin J Oncol Nursing. 2010; 14: 161-166.
- Ritchie CS, Ceronsky L, Coté TR, Herr S, Pantilat SZ, Smith TJ, Yosick L. Palliative care programs: the challenges of growth. J Palliat Med. 2010; Sep;13(9):1065-70.
- Malloy P, Paice JA, Ferrell BR, Ali Z, Munyoro E, Coyne P, Smith TJ. Advancing Palliative Care in Kenya. Cancer Nurs. 2011 Jan-Feb;34(1):E10-3. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181ea73dd.
- Swetz KM, Smith TJ. Palliative chemotherapy: when is it worth it and when is it not? Cancer J. 2010 Sep-Oct;16(5):467-72. Review.
- Swetz KM, Carey EC, Rho RH, Mauck WD, Whitford KJ, Moynihan TJ, Kaur JS, Coyne PJ, Smith TJ. Safe use of opioids to manage pain in patients with cirrhosis. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010; Oct;85(10):959.
- Paice JA, Erickson-Hurt C, Ferrell B, Coyle N, Coyne PJ, Long CO, Mazanec P, Malloy P, Smith TJ. Providing Pain and Palliative Care Education Internationally. The Journal of Supportive Oncology, 9(4), 129-133.
- Alesi ER, Bobb B, Smith TJ. Guiding patients facing decisions about "futile" chemotherapy. J Support Oncol. 2011 Sep-Oct;9(5):184-7. Epub 2011 Sep 24.
- Alesi ER, Fletcher DS, Muir C, Beveridge R, Smith TJ*. Palliative care and oncology partnerships in real practice. Oncology (Williston Park). 2011 Nov 30;25(13):1287-90, 1292-3.
- Schnipper L, Smith TJ, Raghavan D, Blayney DW, Ganz PA, Mulvey TM, Wollins DS. Constructing a top five list for oncology: the American Society of Clinical Oncology Top Five List. J Clin Oncol. 2012 May 10;30(14):1715-24.
- Smith TJ, Cassel JB, Coyne PJ. Practical guidelines for developing new palliative care services: resource management. Ann Oncol. 2012 Apr;23 Suppl 3:70-5.
- Paller CJ, Smith TJ. Finasteride and prostate cancer: a commentary. Oncologist. 2012;17(7):888-90. doi: 10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0165. Epub 2012 Jun 20. No abstract available. PMID: 22723510
- Kadakia KC, Moynihan TJ, Smith TJ, Loprinzi CL. Palliative communications: addressing chemotherapy in patients with advanced cancer. Ann Oncol. 2012 Apr;23 Suppl 3:29-32. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mds085.
- "Commentary on JCO/2012/459859, "Breast Cancer Follow-Up and Management after Primary Treatment: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update" by Khatcheressian JL, et al.," Journal of Oncology Practice
- Smith TJ. Palliative care for oncology patients. Oncology (Williston Park). 2012 Dec;26(12):1158, 1160, 1180. No abstract available. PMID:23413594[PubMed - in process]
- Cheng MJ, King LM, Alesi ER, Smith TJ. Doing palliative care in the oncology office. Journal of Oncology Practice 2013; 9(2):1-5.
- Roeland E, Loprinzi C, Moynihan TJ, Smith TJ, Temel J. In Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer, Sometimes Less is More. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2013 Mar 1;11(3):232-5. No abstract available. PMID:23486449
- Rangachari D, Smith TJ. "Integrating Palliative Care in Oncology: The Oncologist as a Primary Palliative Care Provider". The Cancer Journal 2013;19(5):1-6.
- Smith TJ, Bodurtha JN. The "good planning panel". Hastings Cent Rep. 2013 Jul-Aug;43(4):30-2. doi: 10.1002/hast.192. No abstract available. PMID: 23842921
- Silbermann M, Epner DE, Charalambous H, Baider L, Puchalski CM, Balducci L, Gultekin M, Abdalla RF, Daher M, Al-Tarawneh MR, Smith TJ. Promoting new approaches for cancer care in the Middle East. Ann Oncol. 2013 Oct;24 Suppl 7:vii5-vii10. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdt267. PMID:24001764
- Browner IS, Smith TJ. Symptom assessment in elderly cancer patients receiving palliative care. Ann Oncol. 2013 Oct;24 Suppl 7:vii25-vii29. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdt269. PMID:24001759
- Parikh RB, Kirch RA, Smith TJ, Temel JS. Early specialty palliative care--translating data in oncology into practice. N Engl J Med. 2013 Dec 12;369(24):2347-51. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsb1305469. No abstract available. PMID:24328469
- Schapira L, Smith TJ. The Best Possible Care for Patients with Cancer. Revuew des TransAtlantiques en Oncologie, November 2013; 50-54.
- Hughes M, Smith TJ. The future of palliative care. Annu Rev Public Health. 2014 Mar 18;35:459-75. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182406.
- Kelly RJ, Smith TJ. Delivering maximum clinical benefit at an affordable price: engaging stakeholders in cancer care. The Lancet OncologyVolume 15, Issue 3, March 2014, Pages e112–e118
- Ferrell BR, Smith TJ, Levit L, Balogh E. Improving the quality of cancer care: implications for palliative care. J Palliat Med. 2014 Apr;17(4):393-9.
American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) Updates; National Comprehensive Cancer Center Network (NCCN) and National Clinical Practice Guidelines (NCPG) published in peer reviewed journals
- ASCO Ad Hod Colony-stimulating factor Guidelines Expert Panel (manuscript editor).. Am Soc Clin Oncol. Recommendations for the Use of Hematopoietic Colony-Stimulating Factors: Evidence-Based, Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12:2471-2508
- Ozer H, Miller LL, Schiffer CA, Winn RA, Smith TJ (manuscript editor). Am Soc Clin Onc Update of recommendations for the Use of Hematopoietic Colony- Stimulating Factors: Evidence-Based, Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14:1957-1960.
- ASCO Tumor Marker Expert Panel (Smith TJ, manuscript editor). Clinical practice guidelines for the use of tumor markers in breast and colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14:2843-2877.
- ASCO Non-small cell lung cancer expert panel. Clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Onc. 1997;15:2996-3018.
- Bast R, Desch CE, Hayes DF, Kemeny NE, Ravdin P, Somerfield MR, Smith TJ [manuscript editor]. 1997 Update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast and colorectal cancer: report of Am Soc Clin Onc Expert Panel. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:793-5.
- Smith TJ, Davidson NE, Schapira DV, Grunfeld E, Muss HB, Vogel VG 3rd, Somerfield MR. Am Soc Clin Onc 1998 Update of Recommended Breast Cancer Surveillance Guidelines. J Clin Onc. 1999;17:1080-82.
- Desch CE, Benson AB, Flynn PJ, Krause Loprinzi CL, Minsky BD, Petrelli NJ,Pfister DG, Smith TJ, Somerfield MR. 2000 Update of ASCO Colorectal Cancer Surveillance Guidelines. J Clin Onc, 2000;18:3586-8
- Ozer H, Armitage JO, Bennett CL, Crawford J, Demetri GD, Pizzo PA, Schiffer CA, Smith TJ, Somlo G, Wade JC, Wade JL, Winn RJ, Wozniak AJ, Somerfeld MR. (ASCO Special Article) 2000 Update of Recommendations for the Use of Hematopoietic Colony-Stimulating Factors: Evidence-based, Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Clin Onc, 2000; 18:3558-3585.
- Ravdin P, Hayes DF, Bates S, Fritsche H, Jessup JM, Kemeny N, Locker GY, Mennel RG, Smith TJ, Somerfield MR. 2000 update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast and colorectal cancer. J Clin Onc, 2001, 19:1865-1878.
- Pfister DG, Johnson DH, Azzoli CG, Sause W, Smith TJ, Baker S Jr, Olak J, Stover D, Strawn JR, Turrisi AT, Somerfield MR; American Society of Clinical Oncology. American Society of Clinical Oncology treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline: update 2003. J Clin Oncol. 2004 Jan 15;22(2):330-53. Epub 2003 Dec 22. Review.
- Loblaw DA, Mendelson DS, Talcott JA, Virgo KS, Somerfield MR, Ben-Josef E, Middleton R, Porterfield H, Sharp SA, Smith TJ, Taplin ME, Vogelzang NJ, Wade JL Jr, Bennett CL, Scher HI; Am Soc Clin Onc Recommendations for the Initial Hormonal Management of Androgen-Sensitive Metastatic, Recurrent, or Progressive Prostate Cancer. JCO. Jul 15 2004: 2927-2941.
- Khatcheressian JL, Wolff AC, Smith TJ, GrunfeldE, Muss HB, Vogel VG III, Halberg F, Somerfield MR, Davidson NE, Am Soc Clin Onc 2006 Update of the Breast Cancer Follow-up and Management Guideline in the Adjuvant Setting. J Clin Oncol. 2006; Nov 1;24(31):5091-7. Epub 2006 Oct 10.
- Smith TJ, Khatcheressian J, Lyman GH, Ozer H, Armitage JO, Balducci L, Bennett CL, Cantor SB, Crawford J, Cross SJ, Demetri G, Desch CE, Pizzo PA, Schiffer CA, Schwartzberg L, Somerfield MR, Somlo G, Wade JC, Wade JL, Winn RJ, Wozniak AJ, Wolff AC. 2006 ASCO recommendations for the use of white blood cell growth factors. J Clin Onc, 2006;24:1-19.
- Loblaw DA, Virgo KS, Nam R, Somerfield MR, Ben-Josef E, Mendelson DS, Middleton R, Sharp SA, Smith TJ, Talcott J, Taplin M, Vogelzang NJ, Wade JL 3rd, Bennett CL, Scher HI; Am Soc Clin Onc. Initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer: 2006 update of an Am Soc Clin Onc practice guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2007; Apr 20;25(12):1596-605 Epub 2007 Apr 2.
- Meropol NJ, Schrag D, Smith TJ, Mulvey TM, Langdon RM Jr, Blum D, Ubel PA, Schnipper LE; Am Soc Clin Onc guidance statement: the cost of cancer care.J Clin Oncol. 2009; Aug 10;27(23):3868-74.Epub 2009 Jul 6.
- Azzoli CG, Baker S Jr, Temin S, Pao W, Aliff T, Brahmer J, Johnson DH, Laskin JL, Masters G, Milton D, Nordquist L, Pfister DG, Piantadosi S, Schiller JH, Smith R, Smith TJ, Strawn JR, Trent D, Giaccone G. Am Soc Clin Onc Clinical Practice Guideline Update on Chemotherapy for Stage IV Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Nov 23
- Peppercorn J, Smith TJ, Helft PR, DeBono DJ, Berry SR, Lyckholm LJ, Wollins D, Hayes DM, Vonn Roenn JM, Schnipper LE. ASCO Statement: Towards Individualized Care for Patients with Advanced Cancer. J Clinical Onc. 2011; Feb 20;29(6):755-60. Epub 2011 Jan 24
- Azzoli CG, Baker S Jr, Temin S, Pao W, Aliff T, Brahmer J, Johnson DH, Laskin JL, Masters G, Milton D, Nordquist L, Pfister DG, Piantadosi S, Schiller JH, Smith R, Smith TJ, Strawn JR, Trent D, Giaccone G. 2010 Focused Update of 2009 Am Soc Clin Onc Clinical Practice Guideline Update On Chemotherapy For Stage IV Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Oct 1;29(28):3825-31. Epub 2011 Sep 6.
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ. Wiser Use of Dose-Dense Adjuvant Therapy in Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Feb 6. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available PMID:22312107
- Smith TJ, Temin S, Alesi ER, Abernethy AP, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Ferrell BR, Loscalzo M, Meier DE, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Somerfield M; Stovall E, Von Roenn JH. American Society of Clinical Oncology Provisional Clinical Opinion: The Integration of Palliative Care into Standard Oncology Care. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Mar 10;30(8):880-7. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2011.38.5161. Epub 2012 Feb 6. PMID: 22312101
- Schnipper LE, Smith TJ, Raghavan D, Blayney DW, Ganz PA, Mulvey TM, Wollins DS. ASCO Identifies Five Key Opportunities to Improve Care, Reduce Costs: The Top Five List for Oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Khatcheressian JL, Hurley P, Bantug E, Esserman LJ, Grunfeld E, Halberg F, Hantel A, Henry NL, Muss HB, Smith TJ, Vogel VG, Wolff AC, Somerfield MR, Davidson NE. Breast cancer follow-up and management after primary treatment: american society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline update. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Mar 1;31(7):961-5. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.45.9859. Epub 2012 Nov 5. PMID:23129741[PubMed - in process]
- Fischberg D, Bull J, Casarett D, Hanson LC, Klein SM, Rotella J, Smith T, Storey CP Jr, Teno JM, Widera E; HPM Choosing Wisely Task Force. Five things physicians and patients should question in hospice and palliative medicine. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013 Mar;45(3):595-605. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2012.12.002. Epub 2013 Feb 22.
- Levy MH, Adolph MD, Back A, Block S, Codada SN, Dalal S, Deshields TL, Dexter E, Dy SM, Knight SJ, Misra S, Ritchie CS, Sauer TM, Smith T, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Taylor RM, Temel J, Thomas J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Von Roenn JH, Weems JL, Weinstein SM, Freedman-Cass DA, Bergman MA; NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network). Palliative care. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2012 Oct 1;10(10):1284-309.
- Hershman DL, Lacchetti C, Dworkin RH, Lavoie Smith EM, Bleeker J, Cavaletti G, Chauhan C, Gavin P, Lavino A, Lustberg MB, Paice J, Schneider B, Smith ML, Smith T, Terstriep S, Wagner-Johnston N, Bak K, Loprinzi CL; American Society of Clinical Oncology. Prevention and management of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy in survivors of adult cancers: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 20;32(18):1941-67. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.54.0914. Epub 2014 Apr 14. Review. PMID: 24733808
- Levy MH, Smith T, Alvarez-Perez A, Back A, Baker JN, Block S, Codada SN, Dalal S, Dans M, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Misra S, Mitchell W, Sauer TM, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Taylor RM, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Van Zyl C, Weinstein SM, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. NCCN Guidline: Palliative care, version 1.2014. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014 Oct;12(10):1379-88. PMID:
Books: Editor roles.
- Lunney G, Foley KM, Smith TJ, Gelband H. (eds) Describing Death in America: What We Need to Know. National Academies Press, Washington DC. 2003.
- Wittenberg-Lyles E, Ferrell B, Smith TJ. (eds) Oxford Textbook of Healthcare Communication, Oxford Press, London, UK. In preparation.
- Leong M, Smith TJ. Geriatric Clinics (Eds): Palliative Care.
Activities & Honors
- BS summa cum laude, University of Akron, 1974
- Ramsey Award, Yale University School of Medicine , 1977
- Frank Parker Prize, Yale University School of Medicine , 1979
- MD cum laude., Yale School of Medicine, 1979
- Sharon H. Kohlenberg Health care Service Award, Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation, 1993
- Jessie Ball duPont Fund Making a Difference Award , Rural Cancer Outreach Program, 1993
- Scholarship Award in Patient-Physician Communications, Medical College of Virginia, 1994
- Pioneering programs in Palliative Care, Milbank Memorial Fund, 2000
- “Distinguished Clinician Award” as the outstanding clinician at the medical center, MCV-VCU , 2000
- National “Humanism in Medicine Award” , New Jersey Health Care Foundation, 2000
- Community Outreach Award, Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs, 2001
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer, Castle Connelly, 2001
- VCU Outstanding Teacher Award, M-II Hematology/Oncology Course, 2002 - 2003
- Faculty Award for Distinguished Clinical Care, VCU Medical Center Department of Medicine, 2006
- VCU Outstanding Teacher Award, Hematology/Oncology M-2 course, 2006 - 2006
- University Award to best University-based palliative care program, International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care , 2006
- National Award for service, UNOS , 2001
- HOPE Small Practice Leadership Award: rural cancer outreach, Hematology Oncology News International (HONI) , 2008
- “Robert W. Irby MD” Award for philanthropic service to the foundation and VCU, Medical College of Virginia Foundation , 2008
- HOPE Oncology Practice Leadership Award, Hematology Oncology News International (HONI) , 2008
- “Statesman Award” for 20 years of outstanding service to ASCO, ASCO , 2008
- Virginia A. Crockford Award, Central Virginia Health Planning Agency, 2008
- Consensus Panel Leadership Award, National Palliative Care , 2008
- Educational Innovation Award, VCU , 2009
- Designated Center of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care Award, European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) , 2010
- Best Doctors in America®, Medical Oncology and Hospice, 2010
- Top Doctors, U. S. News and World Report, 2012
- Fellow, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2012
- Award for “Best Article in Medical Professionalism”, American Board of Internal Medicine , 2012
- Nominee, AAHPM 25th Anniversary Visionaries, 2013
- Best Doctors in Maryland, America's Top Doctors® Editions 1-12, 2013
- Executive Board, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine , 2014 - 2017
- Trish Greene Award, American Cancer Society , 2015
- American Cancer Society, Hanover County Unit, 1995 - 1999
Board of Directors
- American Medical Teams for Africa, World Health Organization/American, 1994
Medical Teams for Africa Cancer Pain Relief Programme, Tanzania-Zanzibar, Director of Cancer Palliative Care Programs
- Ashland Friends of the Library Board, 2004
- Chris Desch Foundation Board, 2007 - 2011
- Free Health Clinic, Richmond, VA, Physician Cross-Over, 1994
- Mountain of Trash (community cleanup and recycling), 1985 - 1997
- Pamunkey Regional Library, Hanover County, Children's Story Hour Reader, 1991 - 1992
- Patrick Henry Half Marathon, Richmond Road Runners, 2008 - 2011
- Richmond Friends Meeting, Richmond, VA, 1984
- Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs Camp Happyland, summer camp physicals, 2000
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Palliative care in Oncology: the who, what, when, where, and why
Oncology Grand Rounds , Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center , Baltimore (01/14/2011)
Living better electrically for pain relief; Making room in the cancer budget for new drugs by altering the cancer cost curve.
Reducing the cost of cancer care without rationing.
Washington DC (01/02/2011)
Reusch Center at Georgetown University
Integrating Palliative Care and Oncology: the evidence base
New York City. (01/07/2012)
Changing our practice to incorporate clinical pathways and more advance care planning. Providence Health System
Bending the cost curve with better care. Fred Hutchinson Comprehensive Cancer Center
Bending the Cost Curve of American Medicine
Plenary session , AAHPM , California (01/07/2012)
Designing the best concurrent clinical trial.
When is chemotherapy indicated in the last weeks of life, and when not?
Treatment of post herpetic neuropathy.
Affordability of Cancer Care- A Global Perspective
Chair: Costs of Cancer Care: Affordability Access and Policy , ASCO Annual Meeting Education Session (01/24/2012)
How to talk with people about serious illness
NCCS Rays of Hope event - Cancer Care in America , Washington DC (01/27/2012)
The economics of lung cancer treatment
University of Arkansas Health Science Center , Little Rock (01/05/2012)
Improving the quality of cancer care
Keynote Speaker , National Cancer Business Summit , Dallas (01/18/2012)
Death gets a makeover
New York (01/25/2012)
The evidence that palliative care improves lives while saving money
Plenary Session. (01/26/2012)
Chicago Supportive Oncology Conference
Integrating palliative care into our practices today.
Maryland Eastern Shore Oncology Association.
“Getting oncologists and palliative care to work together” and “How to do palliative care in the oncologist office”
West Virginia University Eastern Branch and Hospice of the Panhandle
NCCS Cancer Survivors Seminar
Washington DC (01/28/2012)
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center Grand Rounds (01/30/2012)
Palliative care and oncolog
Maryland Cancer Collaborative Keynote Speaker , Annapolis (01/05/2012)
Cancer Care Delivery Reforms: A Variety of Approaches
National Coalition of Cancer Survivors Cancer Policy Roundtable , Washington DC (01/07/2013)
New Horizons in Palliative Care: Making the Case for Palliative Care Involvement in Cancer Survivors (SA503).
AAHPM National Meeting (01/16/2013)
Chemotherapy Toxicity or Disease Progression? How Can We Help Patients Understand What’s Happening to Them? (TH331)Cancer SIG.
Educational Forum: Advocacy (TH321) “Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question in HPM”: Communicating AAHPM’s Choosing Wisely Recommendations to Patients and the Public.”
Scrambler Therapy – It works but how and why? Ether Dome MGH
Pain and Palliative Care Grand Rounds , Boston (01/20/2013)
Massachusetts General Hospital
Creating hybridomas of oncology and palliative care.
2013 Annual Harvey and Andrea Rosenthal Lecture in Palliative Care. MGH-DFCI (01/21/2013)
What must change for ONC and PC to fully integrate – national policy and finance trends.
Brigham and Womens-DFCI Palliative Care Grand Rounds (01/22/2013)
Getting ONC and PC to work together
GBMC Oncology Grand Rounds (01/25/2013)
Carroll County Hospital Grand Rounds. “Increasing use of palliative care in usual medical care.”
Convincing oncologists to use palliative and hospice care.
California HealthCare Foundation webinar.
Oncologists and hospice – bridging the gaps
OptumHealth national webinar
Living well with advanced cancer
Johns Hopkins Survivorship program national webinar.
Bending the cost curve in cancer care: dreams versus reality
Kings College Hospital , London (01/28/2013)
Dame Cicely Saunders Institute
Palliative care and decision making when cure is no longer possible
National webinar , Philadelphia (01/10/2013)
Improving care across the continuum: the IOM report
Washington DC (01/24/2013)
NCCS Cancer Policy Roundtable
Session on Choosing Wisely as a November Webinar;
Train-the-Trainer Session at 2014 Assembly (01/07/2013)
Reprising AAHPM Annual Assembly
Improving the quality of cancer care by integrating palliative care…really
University of Maryland Greenbaum Cancer Center Grand Rounds
Improving quality of life throughout the oncology treatment spectrum
Symposium on survivorship and dying , Moscow (01/13/2013)
Russian Oncology Association
Transitioning to palliative treatment at end of life
NCCN National webinar.
Ways for oncologists to reduce the cost of care today
Summit on Optimizing High Value Cancer Care: Addressing the Cost of Drugs and Novel Technologies. , Alexandria (01/27/2014)
Persuading physicians to engage palliative and hospice care earlier -- the anti-death panel approach.
NHPCO national webinar
The Institute of Medicine report on Medicare Cancer Care
Annual meeting plenary , Tampe (01/14/2014)
American Psychosocial Oncology Society
Palliative care of the breast cancer patient
7th Annual Johns Hopkins Breast cancer Program. (01/08/2014)
Pain management in the cancer patient
25th Annual Johns Hopkins Nuclear Molecular Imaging Conference , Baltimore (01/08/2014)
Choosing Wisely - “Choosing words wisely – integrating costs into discussion”
AAHPM annual meeting: “Institute of Medicine Report on Medicare in Crisis”
It’s not just about code status anymore. The modern view of palliative care.
Las Vegas (01/25/2014)
Hospitalist Medicine Annual Conference
Integrating palliative care into the Oncology office.
St Barnabas Medical Center
Palliative care to improve health system performance.
Atlantic General Health Systems , Summit (01/29/2014)
Overlook Medical Center
Improving Oncology Practice
Plenary Lecture , Toronto (01/12/2014)
2014 Applied Research in Cancer Control (ARCC) Conference
Effectiveness and cost effectiveness of palliative care
Plenary Session , Sapporo (01/12/2014)
Japanese Palliative Care Conference
The Coalition Against Pediatric Pain Medical Think Tank on EDS and Co-Morbid Conditions
Clinical experience with Scrambler Therapy: mechanisms and clinical results.
Plenary Session (01/28/2014)
Korean Pain Society
Making palliative care work in the real world
All-Caribean Palliative Care conference , Cayman Islands
Integration of Palliative Care and Communication Strategies for Patients on Phase 1 Clinical Trials
Medical Grand Rounds , Duarte (01/07/2014)
City of Hope National Medical Center
Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Symposium
Talking with patients and families about money. (01/12/2014)
American College of Osteopathic Internists national meeting
It’s not just code status: update on palliative care. , Baltimore (01/09/2014)