Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
George Sgouros, Ph.D.
Director, Radiopharmaceutical Dosimetry
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Alpha-particle emitters; Pharmacokinetic modeling; Dosimetry; Radioimmunotherapy; Targeted radionuclide therapy
Dr. George Sgouros is a Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Department of Radiation Oncology and Department of Oncology and a member of the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center. His research focuses on modeling and dosimetry of internally administered radionuclides with a particular emphasis on patient-specific dosimetry, alpha-particle dosimetry, and mathematical modeling of radionuclide therapy. Dr. Sgouros serves as the Director of Radiopharmaceutical Dosimetry.
Dr. Sgouros received his undergraduate degree in applied physics from Columbia University. He earned his Ph.D. from Cornell University and performed a fellowship in medical physics at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Dr. Sgouros joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2003.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Sgouros was an Associate Professor in Radiology at Cornell University and an Associate Attending Physicist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Sgouros' research interests include targeted radionuclide therapy, radioimmunotherapy, dosimetry, pharmacokinetic modeling, and alpha-particle emitters.
Dr. Sgouros serves as chairman of the Medical Internal Radionuclide Dose (MIRD) Committee as well as a steering committee member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), Task Group on Internal Emitter Dosimetry. He has received a number of awards including the 2001 CaP CURE Award. Dr. Sgouros is a member of the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP) Committee on Uncertainties in Internal Radiation Dosimetry.
- Director, Radiopharmaceutical Dosimetry
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., Columbia University in the City of New York (New York) (1984)
- Ph.D., Cornell University (New York) (1991)
Sloan-Kettering Institute Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, 1993, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Medical Physics)
Research & Publications
Dr. Sgouros’ research over the past 20 years has focused on modeling and dosimetry of internally administered radionuclides with a particular emphasis on patient-specific dosimetry, alpha-particle dosimetry, and mathematical modeling of radionuclide therapy.
The Sgouros Radionuclide Therapy and Dosimetry Research Lab is focused on modeling and dosimetry analysis of radionuclide therapy to support the translation of novel targeted radionuclide therapy strategies to the clinic. The research is divided between laboratory studies and patient-specific dosimetry/radiobiological modeling studies. Dr. Sgouros’ lab is currently engaged in pre-clinical research investigating targeted alpha-emitter therapy of metastatic cancer.
Safety and Efficacy Study of I-131 Tositumomab in Patients With Relapsed/Refractory Hodgkin''s Lymphoma
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Hobbs RF, Wahl RL, Frey EC, Kasamon Y, Song H, Huang P, Jones RJ, Sgouros G. "Radiobiologic optimization of combination radiopharmaceutical therapy applied to myeloablative treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphoma." J Nucl Med. 2013 Sep;54(9):1535-42. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.112.117952. Epub 2013 Aug 5.
- Song H, Hedayati M, Hobbs RF, Shao C, Bruchertseifer F, Morgenstern A, Deweese TL, Sgouros G. "Targeting Aberrant DNA Double-Strand Break Repair in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer with Alpha-Particle Emitter Radiolabeled Anti-EGFR Antibody." Mol Cancer Ther. 2013 Oct;12(10):2043-54. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-13-0108. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Cheng L, Hobbs RF, Segars PW, Sgouros G, Frey EC. "Improved dose-volume histogram estimates for radiopharmaceutical therapy by optimizing quantitative SPECT reconstruction parameters." Phys Med Biol. 2013 Jun 7;58(11):3631-47. doi: 10.1088/0031-9155/58/11/3631. Epub 2013 May 7.
- Meghzifene A, Sgouros G. "IAEA support to medical physics in nuclear medicine." Semin Nucl Med. 2013 May;43(3):181-7. doi: 10.1053/j.semnuclmed.2012.11.008.
- Hobbs RF, Jentzen W, Bockisch A, Sgouros G. "Monte Carlo-based 3-dimensional dosimetry of salivary glands in radioiodine treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer estimated using 124I PET." Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2013 Mar;57(1):79-91.
Activities & Honors
- Invited faculty, International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) Training Course on Medical Physics, 2007
- Organizing Committee Member, International Symposium on Standards, 2009
- Chairman, Medical Internal Radiation Dose (MIRD) Committee Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2008
- Member, National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP), 2005
- Oncological Sciences IRG Study Section Boundaries Team member, NIH, Center for Scientific Review, 2001
- CaP CURE Award, 2001
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
Steering Committee Member, Task Group on Internal Emitter Dosimetry
- National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP)
Member, Committee on Uncertainties in Internal Radiation Dosimetry
- Chairman, Medical Internal Radionuclide Dose (MIRD) Committee