I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Donald Ural Stone, M.D.
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Cornea Transplant, Cornea/Anterior Segment Disease, Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking, Corneal Disorders, Ocular Inflammation Disease, Ophthalmology, Uveitis ...read more
Research Interests: Clinical trials and evidence-based medicine; Ocular infectious and inflammatory diseases
Dr. Stone is a cornea, external disease, cataract, and ocular inflammation specialist with the Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University. After graduating with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha) from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, he completed his ophthalmology residency at the Dean McGee Eye Institute of the University of Oklahoma, followed by a fellowship in cornea, external disease, refractive surgery, and uveitis at the Proctor Foundation of the University of California at San Francisco. He then developed a consultation practice as a member of the faculty at the McGee Eye Institute, while also serving as cornea fellowship director and earning the rank of Associate Professor. Dr. Stone’s next position was as the Director of Research of the King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital in Riyadh as part of a collaboration with the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Areas of clinical expertise include ocular surface disease, ocular surface tumors, complex cataracts, ocular infectious and inflammatory diseases, and advanced surgical techniques such as selective anterior and posterior lamellar keratoplasty (corneal transplantation) and keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea).
His primary areas of research include the evidence-based management of herpetic eye disease, ocular surface diseases including tumors and inflammatory conditions, uveitis, and complex cataract surgery in the traumatized or uveitic patient. With a focus on developing evidence to guide future therapies, he is involved in industry and NIH-sponsored clinical trials. Current projects include a collaborative multi-disciplinary study of Sjogrens syndrome and prospective clinical trials of corneal crosslinking for novel indications.
In addition to clinical and translational research, Dr. Stone has received teaching awards for resident and fellow education, is a past president of his state ophthalmology society, and is an active Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology; his efforts were recognized by the AAO with an Achievement Award and invitation to the Leadership Development Program.
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2000)
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2004)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine / Cornea and External Diseases (2005)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2006)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Effect of Tobacco Smoking on The Clinical, Histopathological, and Serological Manifestations of Sjögren's Syndrome. Stone DU, Fife D, Brown M, Earley KE, Radfar L, Kaufman CE, Lewis DM, Rhodus NL, Segal BM, Wallace DJ, Weisman MH, Venuturupalli S, Brennan MT, Lessard CJ, Montgomery CG, Scofield RH, Sivils KL, Rasmussen A. PLoS One. 2017 Feb 6;12(2):e0170249. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170249.
Intravitreal Antiangiogenic Therapy of Uveitic Macular Edema: A Review. Kozak I, Shoughy SS, Stone DU.J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2017 Feb 6. doi: 10.1089/jop.2016.0118. [Epub ahead of print]
Correlation between practice location as a surrogate for UV exposure and practice patterns to prevent corneal haze after photorefractive keratectomy (PRK). Al-Sharif EM, Stone DU. Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct-Dec;30(4):213-216. doi: 10.1016/j.sjopt.2016.11.004.
Streptococcus agalactiae Endophthalmitis in Boston Keratoprosthesis in a Patient with Steven-Johnson Syndrome. Al-Otaibi HM, Talea M, Kirat O, Stone DU, May WN, Kozak I. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct-Dec;23(4):329-331.
Mycobacterium abscessus scleritis after a Baerveldt glaucoma implant. AlKheraiji NF, AlKheraiji AF, Stone DU. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016 Aug 23. doi: 10.1111/ceo.12824. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
Activities & Honors
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2014 - 2014
- Leadership Development Program XVI, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2013 - 2014
- America's Top Ophthalmologists, Consumer's Research Council of America, Inc., 2013 - 2013
- Best Doctor's in America, Best Doctors, Inc., 2011 - 2011
- Excellence in Attending Award, Oklahoma City VA Medical Center, 2008 - 2008
- T.E. Acers Resident Honor Award, Dean McGee Eye Institute, 2003 - 2004
- Best All-Around Intern, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, 2001 - 2001
- Disaster Volunteer of the Year, American Red Cross, South Plains Chapter, 1996 - 1996
- Presidential Scholarship, Texas Tech University, 1993 - 1996
- Maryland Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, 2017
- European Association for Vision and Eye Research, 2016
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 2015
- Eye Bank Association of America, 2010
- Oklahoma Academy of Ophthalmolgoy, 2005
- American Uveitis Society, 2006
- The Cornea Society, 2005
- Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group, 2003
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2001
- Saudi Ophthalmological Society, 2014 - 2016
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2010 - 2014
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Specialty Information Team, 2005 - 2007
Chairperson: Cornea and External Disease
- Peer Review, Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology, 2016
- Peer Review, Lancet Global Health, 2016 - 2016
- Peer Review, Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology, 2015
- Peer Review, Ophthalmology, 2014 - 2014
- Peer Review, British Journal of Ophthalmology, 2013
- Peer Review, JAMA Ophthalmology: Archives of Ophthalmology, 2012 - 2014
- Peer Review, Eye, 2012 - 2014
- Peer Review, Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging, 2010 - 2011
- Peer Review, Cornea, 2007
- Peer Review, Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, 2007 - 2009
- Peer Review, American Journal of Ophthalmology, 2007 - 2014
- Cornea Section Editor, British Journal of Ophthalmology, 2014
- Guest Editor, Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology, 2016 - 2017