Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Allen Omid Eghrari, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, Persian, Spanish
Expertise: Cataracts, Cornea/Anterior Segment Disease, Ebola-associated eye disease, Ophthalmology , Refractive Surgery
Research Interests: Ebola Virus Disease; Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy; Cataract Surgery
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5490
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute - Bel Air
Appointment Phone: 410-893-0480
620 Boulton Street
Bel Air, MD 21014 map
Allen O. Eghrari, M.D., is Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute and a specialist in cornea, cataract and external eye diseases. He treats a wide range of eye conditions, with special interest in Ebola-associated eye disease, Fuchs Dystrophy, cataract surgery and corneal transplantation. He performs refractive surgery, including LASIK, PRK, and implantable collamer lenses (ICL).
Dr. Eghrari received his M.D. degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and completed his residency in ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins. He completed subspecialty fellowship training in cornea, cataract and external diseases at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Eghrari received the prestigious Claes Dohlman Society Award, given annually to a single cornea fellow worldwide for academic, surgical and research excellence. He serves on the Advisory Board of the Johns Hopkins University Social Innovation Lab, an incubator for projects facilitating social change in local and global communities.
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
- Ophthalmology - Cornea and Anterior Segment
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2013)
- Pending/Scheduled / Ophthalmology
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Eghrari AO, McGlumphy EJ, Iliff BW, Wang J, Emmert D, Riazuddin SA, Katsanis N, Gottsch JD. Prevalence and severity of Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy in Tangier Island. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012 Jun;153(6):1067-72.
Eghrari AO, Gottsch JD. Fuchs' corneal dystrophy. Expert Rev Ophthalmol. 2010 Apr;5(2):147-159.
Meadows DN,* Eghrari AO,* Riazuddin SA, Emmert DG, Katsanis N, Gottsch JD. Progression of Fuchs corneal dystrophy in a family linked to the FCD1 locus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Dec;50(12):5662-6. (*Equal contributors)
Eghrari AO, Rivers R, Alkharashi M, Rajaii FP, Nyhan D, Sikder S. Cataract surgery in patients with left ventricular assist device support. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2014 Apr;40(4):675-8.
Activities & Honors
- Dean's Predoctoral Research Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Public Engagement, University of Illinois
- Mitchell Research Prize, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Claes Dohlman Society Fellowship Award
- Aliki Perroti Scholar, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy Research Grant Award
- A. Edward Maumenee Research Grant Award
- Robert P. Larsen Award in Human Development
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
"Ebola's ghost: the mystery after the outbreak," Wired.co.uk, February 25, 2016
"Ebola research efforts shift to improving survivors' health," The Baltimore Sun, July 10, 2015