Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Trinity Jude Bivalacqua, M.D., Ph.D.
Director of Urologic Oncology
Associate Professor of Urology
Expertise: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Bladder Cancer, Erectile Dysfunction, Genitourinary Sarcoma, Kidney Cancer, Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Robotic Prostatectomy, Urethral Cancer, Urology ...read more
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6070
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6070
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Trinity J. Bivalacqua is an assistant professor of urology, oncology and surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include surgical treatment of genitourinary sarcomas, prostate, bladder and penile cancer.
Dr. Bivalacuqa graduated from Tulane University with undergraduate, graduate and medical degrees. He joined the faculty after completing his general surgery and urology training at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He also completed an American Urological Association (AUA) Foundation Fellowship.
Dr. Bivalacqua’s main areas of expertise include radical surgical procedures for sarcomas and invasive bladder cancer and reconstructive surgery of the urinary tract following radical cystectomy or pelvic exenteration. He has expertise in open, endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic surgery, and he offers individualized treatment options for patients with a wide range of genitourinary malignancies. His other areas of focus include surgical management of erectile dysfunction (inflatable penile prosthesis) and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (Green Light Laser Prostatectomy and open simple prostatectomy).
His laboratory currently investigates novel molecular pathways that are involved in post-radical prostatectomy erectile dysfunction and identification of novel biomarkers for the early diagnosis and staging of bladder cancer.
Dr. Bivalacqua has received national and international recognition for his research involving the outcome of surgery for pelvic malignancies and the pathophysiology and novel treatment strategies for erectile dysfunction. He has recently been acknowledged for his accomplishments in research with several grants including a Career Development Award from the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Patrick C. Walsh Prostate Cancer Research Fund and the American Urological Association “Rising Star” Award.
- Director of Urologic Oncology
- Associate Professor of Urology
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- MD PhD, Tulane University School of Medicine (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Urology (2009)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (2012)
Research & Publications
Dr. Bivalacqua maintains an active research portfolio in order to improve the care of cancer patients. A major focus of his research lab is to develop novel molecular-based targeted therapies for bladder cancer and preservation of erectile function in prostate cancer patients undergoing radical prostatectomy using novel agents.
Dr. Bivalacqua's basic, translational and clinical research is funded by peer-reviewed awards and he has recently been acknowledged for his accomplishments in research with several grants including a Career Development Award from the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Patrick C. Walsh Prostate Cancer Research Fund, and the American Urological Association (AUA) "Rising Star” Award. He serves as principal investigator for clinical trials in both prostate and bladder cancer including the only tissue engineered bladder cancer clinical trial in this country.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Sundi D, Wang V, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Partin AW, Tran PT, Ross AE, Bivalacqua TJ. "Identification of men with the highest risk of early disease recurrence after radical prostatectomy." Prostate. 2014 Jan 22. doi: 10.1002/pros.22780.
Musicki B, Bivalacqua TJ, Champion HC, Burnett AL. "Sildenafil promotes eNOS activation and inhibits NADPH oxidase in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis." J Sex Med. 2014 Feb;11(2):424-30. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12391.
Kates M, Gorin MA, Deibert CM, Pierorazio PM, Schoenberg MP, McKiernan JM, Bivalacqua TJ. "In-hospital death and hospital-acquired complications among patients undergoing partial cystectomy for bladder cancer in the United States." Urol Oncol. 2014 Jan;32(1):53.e9-53.e14. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2013.08.024.
Sundi D, Wang VM, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Bivalacqua TJ, Ball MW, Antonarakis ES, Partin AW, Schaeffer EM, Ross AE. "Very-high-risk localized prostate cancer: definition and outcomes." Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Nov 5. doi: 10.1038/pcan.2013.46.
Chalfin HJ, Gurda GT, Hammers HJ, Netto GJ, Bivalacqua TJ. "Renal cell carcinoma presenting with brain metastasis from a 1.6 cm primary tumor." Can J Urol. 2013 Oct;20(5):6965-7.
Activities & Honors
- 2nd Prize Resident Essay Contest: Laboratory Science, America Urological Association, 2008
- Best Poster, American Urological Association (AUA) Annual Meeting, 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Johns Hopkins University, 2007
- Outstanding Surgical Intern, Johns Hopkins University, 2004
- 1st Prize Resident Essay Contest: Laboratory Science, Mid-Atlantic Section AUA, 2007
- Arnold M Seligman Award for Most Outstanding Surgical Resident, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, 2004
- John T. Halsey Award, Tulane School of Medicine, 2004
- Joseph Hume Memorial Award, Tulane School of Medicine, 2004
- Jorgen U. Schlegel Award for Excellence in Research, Tulane School of Medicine, 2001
- Foundation Rising Star in Urology Research Award, American Urological Association (AUA) , 2012
- Young Investigator Award , Society of Basic Urologic Research (SBUR), 2010
- Jack Lapides Neurourology Essay Contest Grand Prize Winner, 2008
- Cook Urology Travel Award, American Society of Andrology, 2008
- Trainee Award, American Society of Andrology, 2008
- Outstanding Graduate, AUA Foundation, 2008
- Young Investigator Award , AUA Research Forum, 2008
- Astellas USA Foundation MD/PhD Fellowship, American Urological Association Foundation , 2007 - 2008
- Best Basic Science Abstract, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc., 2007
- Zorgniotti-Newman Prize (Co-author): Best Clinical Research in Sexual Medicine, 2006
- Best Basic Science Abstract, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc., 2005
- Student Recognition Award, American Federation for Medical Research , 2004
- Yamanouchi Best Abstract Prize: Impotence, AUA, 2004
- Best Basic Science Abstract: Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2003
- Jean François Ginestíe Prize: Best Paper on Basic Science of Sexual Medicine, 2002
- 3rd Prize Montague Boyd Essay Contest, Southeastern Section AUA, 2001
- Basic Research Award in Integrated Biology, Tulane Health Research Day, 2001
- 1st Prize Essay Contest, Society for the Study of Impotence, 2000
- Thomas S.K. Change Trainee Award, American Society of Andrology, 1999
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- American Society of Andrology
- American Urologic Association (AUA)
- Endourological Society
- International Society of Sexual Medicine
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc.
- Society for Basic Urologic Research (SBUR)
- Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO)
Videos & Media
Trinity J. Bivalacqua, M.D, Ph.D, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Urology