Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Michael A. Trush, Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Oncology
- Joint Appointment in Oncology
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
The overall goal of our research program is to investigate the interactions of environmental chemicals with leukocytes, including polymorphonuclear leukocytes, mononuclear cells, and their bone marrow progenitors. Disease endpoints of interest include aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, leukemia, and increased susceptibility to infections and cancer. Agents whose chemico-biological interactions are under investigation include benzene, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, lead, and agricultural chemicals. In this regard, our studies are focused in three areas: the bioactivation and molecular interactions of xenobiotics of interest; the biochemical and molecular regulation of myelopoiesis and cell differentiation; and the development of in vitro and in vivo models to provide a mechanistic basis for risk assessment and to develop chemoprotective strategies for myeloid cell toxicity. In order to accomplish the goals of the program, we employ a spectrum of analytic, biochemical, and molecular approaches, including the use of chemilumigenic probing for which the laboratory is noted. This technology is based on the assessment of reactive oxygen by organells and cells. In this regard, our recent studies focus on the assessment and regulation of reactive oxygen by mitochondria.
- Rangasamy, T.; Williams, M.A.; Bauer, S.; Trush, M.A.; Emo, J.; Georas, S.N.; Biswal, S. Nuclear erythroid 2 p45-related factor 2 inhibits the maturation of murine dendritic cells by ragweed extract. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010 Sep;43(3):276-285.
- Rangasamy, T.; Williams, M.A.; Bauer, S.; Trush, M.A.; Emo, J.; Georas, S.N.; Biswal, S. Nrf2 Inhibits the Maturation of Murine Dendritic Cells by Ragweed Extract. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009 Oct 5.
- Cai, Z.; Zhong, H.; Bosch-Marce, M.; Fox-Talbot, K.; Wang, L.; Wei, C.; Trush, M.A.; Semenza, G.L. Complete loss of ischaemic preconditioning-induced cardioprotection in mice with partial deficiency of HIF-1 alpha. Cardiovascular research. 2008 Feb 1;77(3):463-470.
- Jia, Z.; Zhu, H.; Trush, M.A.; Misra, H.P.; Li, Y. Generation of superoxide from reaction of 3H-1,2-dithiole-3-thione with thiols: implications for dithiolethione chemoprotection. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008 Jan;307(1-2):185-191.
- Sharma, R.; Traore, K.; Trush, M.A.; Rose, N.R.; Burek, C.L. Intracellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation on thyrocytes by iodine of non-obese diabetic.H2(h4) mice is reactive oxygen species-dependent. Clinical and experimental immunology. 2008 Apr;152(1):13-20.
- Zhu, H.; Jia, Z.; Zhang, L.; Yamamoto, M.; Misra, H.P.; Trush, M.A.; Li, Y. Antioxidants and phase 2 enzymes in macrophages: regulation by Nrf2 signaling and protection against oxidative and electrophilic stress. Experimental biology and medicine (Maywood, NJ. 2008 Apr;233(4):463-474.
- Jia, Z., H. Zhu, M. A. Trush, H. P. Misra, and Y. Li. 2008. Generation of superoxide from reaction of 3H-1,2-dithiole-3-thione with thiols: implications for dithiolethione chemoprotection. Mol Cell Biochem 307:185-91.
- Sharma, R., Traore, K., Trush, M.A., Rose, N.R., and Burek, C.L. (2008). Intracellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation on thyrocytes by iodine of non-obese diabetic.H2(h4) mice is reactive oxygen species-dependent. Clin Exp Immunol 152, 13-20.
- Zhu, H., Jia, Z., Zhang, L., Yamamoto, M., Misra, H.P., Trush, M.A., and Li, Y. (2008). Antioxidants and phase 2 enzymes in macrophages: regulation by Nrf2 signaling and protection against oxidative and electrophilic stress. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233, 463-474.
- Zhu, H., L. Zhang, M. A. Trush, and Y. Li. 2007. Upregulation of endogenous glutathione system by 3H-1,2-dithiole-3-thione in pancreatic RINm5F beta-cells as a novel strategy for protecting against oxidative beta-cell injury. Free Radic Res 41:242-50.