Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Kerry J. Stewart, Ed.D.
Kerry J. Stewart, Ed.D.
Director, Clinical/Research Exercise Physiology
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cardiovascular Diseases, Hypertension, Obesity, Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
Research Interests: Increasing physical activity in the community; Exercise for cancer patients; Weight loss effects through diet and exercise on body composition and CV health; Exercise training for diabetes and hypertension; Exercise training for cardiovascular disease and heart failure ...read more
Dr. Kerry J. Stewart is a Professor of Medicine in the Cardiology division and is the Director of Clinical and Research Exercise Physiology. He studies exercise training for cardiovascular disease and heart failure, exercise training for diabetes and hypertension, weight loss effects through diet and exercise on body composition and CV health, exercise for cancer patients and increasing physical activity in the community.
Dr. Stewart holds a bachelors degree from Brooklyn College and an EdD from Columbia University in Applied Physiology. He is a Fellow of the American Heart Association, the American College of Sports Medicine, and a Master Fellow of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). Dr. Stewart was the President of AACVPR from 2000 to 2001, and was given their Award of Excellence in 2009.
- Director, Clinical/Research Exercise Physiology
- Director, Exercise and Body Composition Core
- Director, Clinical Research Informatics
- Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine - Cardiovascular
Centers & Institutes
- General Clinical Research Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview
- Exercise Physiology and Body Composition
Research & Publications
Core Facility: Exercise Physiology and Body Composition
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- West CC, Murray IR, González ZN, Hindle P, Hay DC, Stewart KJ, Péault B. Ethical, legal and practical issues of establishing an adipose stem cell bank for research. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2014 Feb 1. pii: S1748-6815(14)00036-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2014.01.030. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 24529696
- Venditti EM, Wylie-Rosett J, Delahanty LM, Mele L, Hoskin MA, Edelstein SL; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Short and long-term lifestyle coaching approaches used to address diverse participant barriers to weight loss and physical activity adherence. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014 Feb 12;11:16. doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-11-16. PMID: 24521153 [PubMed - in process]
- Allen JK, Stephens J, Dennison Himmelfarb CR, Stewart KJ, Hauck S. Randomized controlled pilot study testing use of smartphone technology for obesity treatment. J Obes. 2013;2013:151597. doi: 10.1155/2013/151597. Epub 2013 Dec 10. PMID: 24392223 [PubMed - in process]
- Franks PW, Christophi CA, Jablonski KA, Billings LK, Delahanty LM, Horton ES, Knowler WC, Florez JC; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Common variation at PPARGC1A/B and change in body composition and metabolic traits following preventive interventions: the Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetologia. 2014 Mar;57(3):485-90. doi: 10.1007/s00125-013-3133-4. Epub 2013 Dec 7. PMID: 24317794 [PubMed - in process]
- Dobrosielski DA, Barone Gibbs B, Chaudhari S, Ouyang P, Silber HA, Stewart KJ. Effect of exercise on abdominal fat loss in men and women with and without type 2 diabetes. BMJ Open. 2013 Nov 25;3(11):e003897. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003897. PMID: 24282247
Activities & Honors
- Award of Excellence, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation., 2009