Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Melissa Katrina Trovato, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Dr. Melissa K. Trovato is an assistant professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She also is the director of inpatient rehabilitation for the Pediatric Rehabilitation Unit of the Kennedy Krieger Institute.
The unit serves children and adolescents with decreased function due to issues that include brain and spinal-cord injuries, complex medical conditions, orthopedic surgery and chronic pain.
She earned her undergraduate degree from Salem College and her medical degree at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. She completed a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency at Baltimore’s Sinai Hospital, as well as a two-year pediatric rehabilitation fellowship at the Kennedy Krieger Institute. She joined the Johns Hopkins and Kennedy Krieger Institute faculties in 2001.
Dr. Trovato is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, with a subspecialty certification in pediatric rehabilitation medicine. She is a member of the American Association of Physiatrists, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and the American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology.
- Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- M.D., University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio (Texas) (1994)
Sinai Hospital-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 1999, Physical medicine and rehabilitation; Kennedy Krieger Institute/Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2001, Pediatric rehabilitation
Research & Publications
- Kramer ME, Suskauer SJ, Christensen JR, DeMatt EJ, Trovato MK, Salorio CF, Slomine BS. "Examining acute rehabilitation outcomes for children with total functional dependence after traumatic brain injury: a pilot study." J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2013 Sep-Oct;28(5):361-70. doi: 10.1097/HTR.0b013e31824da031.
- Trovato MK, Bradley E, Slomine BS, Salorio CF, Christensen JR, Suskauer SJ. "Physical Abilities and Mobility Scale: reliability and validity in children receiving inpatient rehabilitation for acquired brain injury." Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Jul;94(7):1335-41. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2012.12.004. Epub 2012 Dec 16.
- Suskauer SJ, Trovato MK. "Update on pharmaceutical intervention for disorders of consciousness and agitation after traumatic brain injury in children." PM&R. 2013 Feb;5(2):142-7. doi: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2012.08.021.
- Tailor YI, Suskauer SJ, Sepeta LN, Ewen JB, Dematt EJ, Trovato MK, Salorio CF, Slomine BS. "Functional status of children with encephalitis in an inpatient rehabilitation setting: a case series." J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2013;6(3):163-73. doi: 10.3233/PRM-130248.
- Suskauer SJ, Trovato MK, Zabel TA, Comi AM. "Physiatric findings in individuals with Sturge-Weber syndrome." Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010 Apr;89(4):323-30. doi: 10.1097/PHM.0b013e3181ca23a8.
Activities & Honors
- American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association of Physiatrists