Research focuses on clinical pharmacology of new anti-tuberculosis regimens with an emphasis on: (1) Phase I clinical trials of new or existing anti-TB drugs including dose escalation trials and studies of drug-drug interactions between anti-TB agents and antiretrovirals to treat HIV; (2) Use of PK/PD analysis and modelling in Phase II tuberculosis clinical treatment trials to determine concentration-effect relationships that will allow for optimization of dosing; and (3) Evaluation of TB and HIV drug concentrations in special populations, such as pregnant women and children; (4) Evaluation of treatment-shortening regimens for drug-sensitive TB and investigational regimens for treatment of multidrug-resistant TB; and (5) Translational work involving novel animal models of cavitary pulmonary TB disease to understand drug distribution in diseased lung.
- Dooley KE, Denti P, Martinson N, Cohn S, Mashabela F, Hoffmann J, Haas DW, Hull J, Msandiwa R, Castel S, Wiesner L, Chaisson RE, McIlleron H; the TSHEPISO Study Team. Pharmacokinetics of efavirenz and treatment of HIV-1 among pregnant women with and without tuberculosis co-infection. J Infect Dis. 2014 Jul 31. pii: jiu429. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25081933
- Dooley KE, Luetkemeyer AF, Park JG, Allen R, Cramer Y, Murray S, Sutherland D, Aweeka F, Koletar SL, Marzan F, Bao J, Savic R, Haas DW; AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) A5306 Study Team. Phase I Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacogenetics Study of the Anti-Tuberculosis Drug PA-824 with Concomitant Lopinavir/Ritonavir, Efavirenz, or Rifampin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014 Jun 23. pii: AAC.03332-14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24957823
- Savic RM, Lu Y, Bliven-Sizemore E, Weiner M, Nuermberger E, Burman W, Dorman SE, Dooley KE. Population pharmacokinetics of rifapentine and desacetyl rifapentine in healthy volunteers: nonlinearities in clearance and bioavailability. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014 Jun;58(6):3035-42. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01918-13. Epub 2014 Mar 10.
PMID: 24614383 [PubMed - in process]
- Cherkaoui I, Sabouni R, Ghali I, Kizub D, Billioux AC, Bennani K, Bourkadi JE, Benmamoun A, Lahlou O, Aouad RE, Dooley KE. Treatment default amongst patients with tuberculosis in urban Morocco: predicting and explaining default and post-default sputum smear and drug susceptibility results. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 3;9(4):e93574. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0093574. eCollection 2014. PMID: 24699682 [PubMed - in process]
- Williamson B, Dooley KE, Zhang Y, Back DJ, Owen A. Induction of influx and efflux transporters and cytochrome P450 3A4 in primary human hepatocytes by rifampin, rifabutin, and rifapentine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Dec;57(12):6366-9. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01124-13. Epub 2013 Sep 23. PMID: 24060875