I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
W. P. Andrew Lee, M.D.
Wei-Ping Andrew Lee, M.D.
Milton T. Edgerton Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Languages: English, Chinese, Mandarin
Expertise: Hand Reconstruction, Hand Surgery, Hand Transplant, Plastic Surgery, Upper Extremity Surgery
Research Interests: Investigating tolerance strategies for composite tissue allografting; Enhancing nerve regeneration to improve functional outcome of composite tissue allotransplantation ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Wei-Ping Andrew Lee is a professor of orthopaedic surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He serves as director of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and is the inaugural Milton T. Edgerton Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
A pioneer in hand transplants, Dr. Lee performed the nation’s first double-hand transplant in May 2009 and was among the first to perform a single hand transplant in the United States in March 2009. He also performed the nation’s first above-elbow transplant.
Dr. Lee received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he also completed his general surgery residency and microvascular research fellowship. He completed his plastic surgery fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital and his orthopedic hand fellowship at the Indiana Hand Center. In 1993, he joined the plastic surgery faculty at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and became the director of the Plastic Surgery Research Laboratory and chief of hand service in Department of Surgery. In 2002, Dr. Lee was appointed as the Division Chief of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh. He joined Johns Hopkins in 2010 as the inaugural chairman of its newly established Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Lee conducts investigation on tolerance strategy for vascularized composite allografts, such as hand or face transplants, to ameliorate the need for long-term systemic immunosuppression.
Dr. Lee has received more than 70 awards and honors, including the Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Sumner Koch Award and Sterling Bunnell Traveling Fellowship from the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. In 2014, the American Association of Plastic Surgeons honored him with the Research Achievement Award for basic research.
Dr. Lee served as the chair of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (2012-13) and the president of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (2011-12). In 2008, he helped to found the American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation, for which he currently serves as the President-Elect. He was elected the chairman of Plastic Surgery Research Council in 2002 and president of the Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2010-11.
Dr. Lee has mentored approximately 80 pre-doctoral and post-doctoral researchers in over two decades, and has authored more than 165 original publications in peer-reviewed journal and 40 textbook chapters on hand surgery and composite tissue transplant subjects. The book co-edited by him, Transplantation of Composite Tissue Allografts, was published in 2008. He has been an invited speaker or visiting professor in more than 40 institutions around the world, and served on the editorial boards of Transplantation and Journal of Surgical Research. In 2014, he co-founded the journal Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation, and serves as its co-Editor-in-Chief.
- Milton T. Edgerton Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Director, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Surgery (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Surgery (1989)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Plastic Surgery (1990)
- Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center (Formerly Indiana Hand Center) / Hand Surgery (1993)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Hand Surgery (1996, 2005)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Plastic Surgery (1995, 2025)
Research & Publications
Dr. Lee conducts investigation on tolerance strategy for vascularized composite allografts, such as hand or face transplants, to ameliorate the need for long-term systemic immunosuppression. In 2014, the American Association of Plastic Surgeons honored him with the Research Achievement Award for basic research.
- Schneeberger S, Gorantla VS, Brandacher G, Zeevi A, Demetris AJ, Lunz JG, Metes DM, Donnenberg AD, Shores JT, Dimartini AF, Kiss JE, Imbriglia JE, Azari K, Goitz RJ, Manders EK, Nguyen VT, Cooney DS, Wachtman GS, Keith J, Fletcher D, Macedo C, Planinsic R, Losee J, Shapiro R, Starzl TE, Lee WPA. Upper Extremity Transplantation using a Cell-Based Protocol to Minimize Immunosuppression. Ann Surg 2013;257:345-351.
- Shores JT, Imbriglia JE, Lee WPA. The Current State of Hand Transplantation. J Hand Surg 2011;36:1862.
- Unadkat J, Schneeberger S, Horibe E, Goldbach C, Solari M, Washington K, Gorantla V, Afrooz P, Pulikkottil B, Cooper G, Thomson A, Lee WPA. Composite Tissue Vasculopathy and Degeneration Following Multiple Episodes of Acute Rejection in Reconstructive Transplantation. Am J Transplant 2010;10:251.
- Kuo YR, Shih H, Goto S, Wang F, Lin C, Wu, Wang, Huang, Chen, Zheng, Lee WPA. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prolong Composite Tissue Allotransplant Survival in Swine Model. Transplantation 2009;87:1769.
- Washington K, Solari, Sacks, Horibe, Unadkat, Carvell, Simons, Lee WPA. Model for Functional Recovery Cortical Reintegration after Hemifacial Comp Tissue Allotransplant. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;123:26S.
- Solari MG, Washington KM, Sacks JM, Hautz T, Unadkat JV, Horibe E, Venkataramanan R, Larregina AT, Thomson AW, Lee WPA. Daily Topical Tacrolimus Therapy Prevents Skin Rejection in a Rodent Hind Limb Allograft Model. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;123:17S-25S.
- Mathes DW, Solari MG, Randolph MA, Gazelle G, Huang C, Sachs D, Lee WPA. Long-term Acceptance of Renal Allograft Following Prenatal Inoculation with Adult Bone Marrow. Transplantation, 2005:80:1300.
- Hettiaratchy S, MelendyE, RandolphMA, CoburnRC, Neville DM, Sachs DH, Huang C, Lee WPA. Tolerance to Composite Tissue Allografts Across a Major Barrier in Miniature Swine. Transplantation 2004;77:514.
- Mathes DW, Randolph MA, Solari MG, Nazzal JA, Nielson GP, Arn JS, Sachs DH, Lee WPA. Split tolerance to a Composite Tissue Allograft in a Swine Model. Transplantation, 75:25-31, 2003.
- Mathes DW, Randolph M, Bourget J, Nielsen G, Ferrera V, Arn J, Sach DH, Lee WPA. Recipient Bone Marrow Engraftment in Donor after Longterm Tolerance to Comp Tissue Allograft. Transplantation, 73:1880,2002.
- Lee WPA, Rubin JP, Cober S, Bourget J, Nielsen G, Randolph M, Ierino F, Sachs DH. Tolerance to Limb Tissue Allografts B/w Swine Matched in Major Histocompatibility Complex. Plastic Reconstr Surg, 107:1482, 2001.
- Rubin JP, Cober SR, Butler PEM, Gazelle S, Ierino F, Randolph MA, Sachs DH, Lee WPA. Injection of Allogeneic Bone Marrow Cells Into Portal Vein of Swine In Utero. Journal Surg Research, 95:188, 2001.
- Lee WPA, Mathes DW. Hand Transplantation: Pertinent Data and Future Outlook. J Hand Surg, 24A:906, 1999.
- Lee WPA, Pan YC, Kesmarky S, Randolph MA, Fiala TS, Amarante MTJ, Weiland AJ, Yaremchuk MJ. Experimental Orthotopic Transplantation of Vascularized Skeletal Allografts: Functional Assessment and Long-Term Survival. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 95:336-349, 1995.
- Lee WPA, Yaremchuk MJ, Pan YC, Randolph MA, Tan CM, Weiland AJ. Relative Antigenicity of Components of a Vascularized Limb Allograft. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 87:401, 1991.
Activities & Honors
- Kappa Delta Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1991
- Research Achievement Award, American Association of Plastic Surgeons, 2014
- Sterling Bunnell Traveling Fellowship, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2003
- Sumner Koch Award, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 1995
- Chair, American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2012 - 2013
- Chairman, Plastic Surgery Research Council, 2002
- Founder and co-Editor-in-Chief, Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation, 2014
- Founder and President-Elect, American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation
- President, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2011 - 2012
- President, Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2010 - 2011
Videos & Media
Bilateral Arm Transplant Press Conference Introduction
In December 2012, a surgical team led by Johns Hopkins physicians performed The Johns Hopkins Hospital's first bilateral arm transplant on a 26-year-old U.S. soldier who lost all four limbs in the Iraq war. On January 29, 2013, a press conference was held to discuss the 13-hour procedure with the leading surgeons and the patient, Brendan Marrocco. Opening remarks were given by W.P. Andrew Lee, M.D. who is director of the Johns Hopkins Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the lead surgeon of the double arm transplant.
Bilateral Arm Transplant Press Conference Patient/Doctor Q&A
Johns Hopkins surgeons answers questions regarding the first bilateral arm transplant that was performed on a 26-year-old U.S. soldier who lost all four limbs in the Iraq war.
Bilateral Arm Transplant Press Conference Highlights
See highlights of the press conference regarding the first bilateral arm transplant on a 26-year-old U.S. soldier who lost all four limbs in the Iraq war.
Meet Our Expert: Dr. W. P. Andrew Lee
W. P. Andrew Lee, M.D., is the director of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. His clinical practice focuses on upper extremity reconstruction, including vascularized composite allotransplantation, hand and arm transplantation, and surgery for common hand conditions.
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Toward Less Risky Hand Transplants – Dr. W.P. Andrew Lee
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Iraq War Vet Brendan Marrocco Gets Double Arm Transplant, ABC News (Jan. 29, 2013)
Johns Hopkins Hospital performs double arm transplant on Army soldier (Video), Washington Post (Jan. 28, 2013)
Soldier gets double-arm transplant at Johns Hopkins, USA Today (Jan. 28, 2013)