Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Leslie Cope, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Oncology
Leslie Cope, Ph.D., is a biostatistician and bioinformatician with expertise in the design and analysis of high-throughput genomic data.
He co-directs the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center's Experimental and Computational Genomics Core. Cope also has participated in research teams including Stand Up to Cancer and the Department of Defense's Center of Excellence in Ovarian Cancer.
Cope is a member of the Epigenetics Genome Characterization program within the National Institutes of Health-funded project, The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), where he leads DNA methylation data analysis and its integration with other data types for several TCGA disease working groups. His research focuses on methods for identifying and validating biomarkers, including tools for integrating multiple sources of data to take advantage of the vast stores of archival data that are now available.
Cope received his master's degree and Ph.D. from The Johns Hopkins University and is a member of the American Statistical Association, International Biometric Society and Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- SKCCC Experimental and Computational Genomics Core
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University (Maryland) (2003)
Research & Publications
Core Facility: SKCCC Experimental and Computational Genomics Core
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Irizarry, R. A., Bolstad, B. M., Collin, F., Cope, L. M., Hobbs, B. & Speed, T. P. 2003. Summaries of Affymetrix GeneChip probe level data. Nucleic Acids Res. 31:e15.
- Irizarry, R. A., Gautier, L., & Cope L. M. 2003. Affymetrix oligonucleotide arrays. In G. Parmigiani, E. S. Garrett, R. A. Irizarry, & S. L. Zeger (Eds.), The analysis of gene expression data: methods and software. NY: Springer-Verlag.
- Gautier, L., Cope, L. M., Bolstad, B. M., & Irizarry, R. A. 2004. Affy - a package for the analysis of Affymetrix GeneChip data at the probe level. Bioinformatics. 20:323-331.
- Cope, L. M., Zhong, X., Garrett, E., & Parmigiani, G. 2004. MergeMaid: R tools for merging and cross-study validation of gene expression data. Stat. Appl. Genet. Mol. Biol. 3:Article29.
- Cope, L. M., Irizarry, R. A., Jaffee, H., Wu, Z., & Speed, T. P. 2004. A benchmark for affymetrix genechip expression measures. Bioinformatics. 20:323-331.
- Cappola, T. P., Cope, L. M., Cernetich, A., Barouch, L. A., Minhas, K., Irizarry, R. A., Parmigiani, G., et al. 2003. Deficiency of different nitric oxide synthase isoforms activates divergent transcriptional programs in cardiac hypertrophy. Physiol. Genomics. 14:25-34.
- Li, Y.; Tian, Y.; Rezai, T.; Prakash, A.; Lopez, M.F.; Chan, D.W.; Zhang, H. Simultaneous analysis of glycosylated and sialylated prostate-specific antigen revealing differential distribution of glycosylated prostate-specific antigen isoforms in prostate cancer tissues. Anal Chem. 2011 Jan 1;83(1):240-245.
- Brandy, Y.; Ononiwu, I.; Adedeji, D.; Williams, V.; Mouamba, C.; Kanaan, Y.; Copeland, R.L., Jr.; Wright, D.A.; Butcher, R.J.; Denmeade, S.R.; Bakare, O. Synthesis and cytotoxic activities of some 2-Arylnaphtho[2,3-d]oxazole-4,9-dione derivatives on androgen-dependent (LNCaP) and androgen-independent (PC3) human prostate cancer cell lines. Invest New Drugs. 2011 Jan 18;Epub 1/19/11.
- Tirado, Y.; Lewin, J.S.; Hutcheson, K.A.; Kupferman, M.E. Office-based injection laryngoplasty in the irradiated larynx. Laryngoscope. 2010 Apr;120(4):703-706.
- Shih Ie, M.; Chen, L.; Wang, C.C.; Gu, J.; Davidson, B.; Cope, L.; Kurman, R.J.; Xuan, J.; Wang, T.L. Distinct DNA methylation profiles in ovarian serous neoplasms and their implications in ovarian carcinogenesis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Dec;203(6):584 e581-522.