Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Justin Michael Sacks, M.D.
Director, Oncological Reconstruction
Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Expertise: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Blepharoplasty, Botox, Brachioplasty, Breast Augmentation, Breast Conservation Surgery, Breast Implants, Breast Lift , Breast Reconstruction, Breast Reduction, Breast Surgery, Breast Tissue Expander, Carpal Injuries, Cervical Lymph Node Dissection, Chest Wall Reconstruction, Cosmetic Surgery of the Face, Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap, Dermal Fillers, Dermatologic Surgery, Facial Aesthetic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, Flaps, Foot and Ankle Reconstruction , Fracture surgery , General Reconstruction, Genital Reconstruction, Hand Fractures, Head and Neck Reconstruction After Cancer, Hidradenitis, Injectibles, Keloids, Liposuction, Lymphedema, Lymphedema Surgery, Male Breast Cancer, Mastectomy, Microsurgery, Microsurgery/Microsurgical Reconstruction , Microsurgical Free Tissue Transfer, Microsurgical Tissue Transfer, Microvascular Free Flap Surgery, Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer, Microvascular Reconstruction, Microvascular Surgery, Nasal Reconstruction, Oncoplastic Breast Conservation Surgery, Pelvic Reconstruction, Plastic Surgery, Post-Traumatic Reconstruction, Reconstruction After Cancer, Reconstruction After Skin Cancer, Reconstruction of Facial Skin Cancers, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Transplants, Revision Breast Augmentation, Revision Breast Reconstruction, Revision Rhinoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Sarcoma, Scars, Skin Cancer Surgery, Skin Graft, Skin Lesions , Skull Base Surgery, Soft Tissue and Tendon Injuries of the Hand and Fingers, Squameous Cell Carcinoma, Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator Flap, Superior Inferior Epigastric Artery Flap, Tendon Surgery, Tendonitis of the Hand and Wrist, Thighplasty, Transverse Upper Glacilis Flap, Traumatic and Surgical Defects of the Trunk, Trigger Finger, Tummy Tuck, Upper Extremity, Upper Extremity Reconstruction , Ventral Hernia Reconstruction, Wrinkle Therapy, Wrinkle Treatment ...read more
Research Interests: Modalities to induce donor-specific tolerance in composite tissue constructs, such as face and hand; Laser perfusion for free flaps to improve transplant outcomes; Vascular Composite, including laser angiography ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Justin Sacks is an assistant professor of plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Sacks is an expert in head-to-toe reconstructive surgery of the body, including the head and neck, breast, chest, abdomen, pelvis and extremities. Among his specialties is reconstructive surgery following post-traumatic injury and oncologic surgery.
Dr. Sacks earned his M.D. from Mount Sinai School of Medicine and completed his residencies in plastic surgery and general surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. He performed fellowships in microsurgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and in plastic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr. Sacks comes to Johns Hopkins from a faculty appointment at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
His research interests involve modalities to induce donor-specific tolerance in composite tissue allograft constructs, such as the face and hand.
Dr. Sacks is certified in plastic surgery by the American Board of Surgery. He is an associate fellow member of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery and Plastic Surgery Research Council. Dr. Sacks is a founding member of the American Society of Reconstructive Transplantation.
- Director, Oncological Reconstruction
- Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1998)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center / General Surgery (2001)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center / Plastic Surgery (2004)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Plastic Surgery (2007)
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - GME / Microsurgery (2008)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Plastic Surgery (2009)
Research & Publications
The Mao Research lab focuses on novel approaches for engineering self-assembled nanoparticles for delivery of nucleic acid therapeutics, and developing biomimetic nanofibers for stem cell culture and tissue regeneration.
Read about one of their most recent translational research endeavors.
Lab Website: The Mao Research Group
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Crosby, MA, Garvey PB, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Sacks JM, Villa MT, Lin HY, Park SJ, Bauman DP. "Reconstructive Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy." Past Reconstr Surg. 2011 Nov;128(5):1025-33.
- Gordon CR, Zor F, Cetrulo C Jr, Brandacher G, Sacks J, Lee WP. Concomitant face and hand transplantation: perfect solution or perfect storm? Ann Plast Surg. 2011 Sep;67(3):309-14.
- Sacks JM, Kuo YR, Horibe EK, Hautz T, Mohan K, Valerio IL, Lee WP. An Optimized Dual-Surgeon Simultaneous Orthotopic Hind-Limb Allotransplantation Model in Rats. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2011 Aug 23.
- Baumann DP, Crosby MA, Selber JC, Garvey PB, Sacks JM, Adelman DM, Villa MT, Feng L,Robb GL. Optimal timing of delayed free lower abdominal flap breast reconstruction after postmastectomy radiation therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Mar;127(3):1100-6.
- Crosby MA, Chike-Obi CJ, Baumann DP, Sacks JM, Villa MT, Garvey PB, Selber JC, Feig BW. Reconstructive Outcomes in Patients with Sarcome of the Breast. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010, Dec;126(6):1805-14.
- Farina S, Bhosale,Priya R; You,Y Nancy; Sacks JM, Sagebiel,Tara Omental Pedicle and Vertical Abdominis Rectus Myocutaneous Flap for Pelvic Reconstruction Following Abdominoperineal Resection and Pelvic Exenteration: Applications, Post-Surgical Anatomy, and Radiologic Appearance. Radiographics. 2011. Accepted for Publication.
- Giliberti FM, Shinder R, Bell D, Savar AM, Sacks JM, Levine NB, Esmaeli B. Malignant Mixed Tumor of the Lacrimal Gland in a Teenager. J. Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2010, 26:1-3, Feb.
- Hanasono MM, Sacks JM, Goel N, Ayad M, Skoracki RJ. The anterolateral thigh free flap for skull base. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009, 140(6):855-60.
- Sacks JM, Chang DW. Rib-Sparing Internal Mammary Vessel Harvest for Microvascular Breast Reconstruction in 100 Consecutive Cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009, 123(5):1403-7.
- Thomson AW, Sacks JM, Kuo Y-R, Ikeguchi R, Horibe EK, Unadkat J, Solari MG, Feili-Hariri, M, Lee WPA. Dendritic Cell Therapy in Composite Tissue Allotransplantation. Transplantation Proceedings. 2009, 41(2):537-538.
- Solari MG, Washington KM, Sacks JM, Hautz T, Unadkat J, Horibe EK, Venkataramanan R, Larregina AT, Thomason AW, Lee WPA. Daily Topical Tacrolimus Therapy Prevents Skin
Rejection in a Rodent Hind Limb Allograft Model. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009, 123(2S):17S-25S.
- McLean KM, Solari MG, Sacks JM, Horibe EK, Unadkat JV, Carvell GE, Simons DJ, Lee WPA. A Model for Functional Recovery and Cortical Composite Tissue Allotransplantation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009, 123(2 Suppl) 26S-33S.
- Deleyiannis FW-B, Sacks JM, McLean KM, Russavage J. Patient self-report of disability of the upper extremity following osteocutaneous radial forearm free flap harvest. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008, 122(5):1479-84.
- Aksu AI, Horibe E, Sacks JM, Ikeguchi R, Breitinger J, Scozio M, Unadkat J, Feili-Hariri, M. Coinfusion of donor bone marrow with host mesenchymal stem cells treats GVHD and promotes vascularized skin allograft survival in rats. Clinical Immunology. 2008 June, 127(3):348-358.
- Ikeguchi R, Sacks JM, Unadkat JV, Horibe EK, Lu L, Lee WPA, Feili-Hariri M. Long-term survival of limb allografts induced by pharmacologically-conditioned Donor Ag-pulsed dendritic cells without maintenance immunosuppression. Transplantation. 2008 Jan, 85(2):237-246.
- Horibe EK, Sacks JM, Unadkat JV, Wang Z, Raimondi G, Ikeguchi R, Marsteller D, Thomson AW, Lee WP, Feili-Hariri, M. Rapamycin-conditioned, alloantigen-pulsed dendritic cells promote indefinite survival of vascularized skin allografts in association with T regulatory expression. Transp Immunol. 2008 Feb,18(4):307-18.
- Sacks JM, Kuo Y, Taieb A, Breitinger J, Thomson AW, Feili-Hariri M, Lee WPA, Prolongation of composite tissue allograft survival by immature recipient dendritic cells pulsed with donor antigen and transient low-dose immunosuppression. Plast. Reconstr Surg. 2008 Jan,121(1):37-49.
- McLean KM, Sacks JM, Kuo YR, Wollstein R, Rubin PJ, Lee WPA. Anatomic Landmarks to the Superficial and Deep Palmar Arches. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008 Jan,121(1):181-5.
- Sacks JM, Horibe EK, Lee WPA. Cellular Therapies for Prolongation of Composite Tissue Allograft Transplantation. Clin Plast Surg. 2007, 34(2):291-301.
- Horibe EK, Sacks JM, Aksu AE, Unadkat J, Song D, Ferreira LM, Feili-Hariri M, Lee WPA. Simplified flow-thru technique a novel and efficient approach to strauchs epigastric free flaps in rats. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2007 Oct. Aug;23(6):321-8.
- VT Nguyen, Taieb A, Sacks JM, Unadkat J, Clavijo JA, Kim H, Feili-Hariri M, Lee WPA. Allopeptide-Pulsed Dendritic Cells and Composite Tissue Allograft Survival. Microsurgery. 07;27(2):105-11.
- Sacks, JM, Keith J, Fischer C, Lee WPA. The Surgeons role and Responsibility in Facial Tissue Allograft Transplantation. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2007 June 58(6):595-601.
- Sacks JM, Kuo Y, McLean K, Wollstein R, Lee WPA. Anatomic Relationship among Median Nerve Thenar Branch, Superficial Palmar Arch and Transverse Carpal Ligament. Plastic and
Reconstructive Surgery 2007. Sept;120(3):713-8.
- Sacks JM, Lee WPA. Systemic Analysis of Rejection of Composite Tissue Allografts (Analysis and Commentary). Transplantation. 2006, 81(3):318-319.
- Lee WPA, Sacks JM. Risk Acceptance of Composite Tissue Allotransplantation Reconstructive Procedures. Microsurgery. 2006, 26(3):149-150.
- Sajjadian A, Valerio IL, Oguz A, Askari MA, Sacks J, Kormos RL, Manders EK. Omental Transposition Flap for Salvage of Ventricular Assist Devices. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2006. 118 (4): 919-926.
- Agag R, Sacks JM, Silver L. Congenital Medline Cervical Cleft. The Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Journal 2006 Jan, 44(1):98-101.
- Kuo Y, Sacks JM, Lee WPA, Wu W, Kueh N, Yao S, Chiang Y. Porcine Heterotopic Composite Tissue Allograft Transplantation using a Large Animal Model for Preclinical Studies. Chang Gung Medical Journal 2006. 29:268-274.
- Kuo Y, Wu W, Jen S, Huang H, Yang KD, Sacks JM, Wang F. Activation of ERK and p38 kinase mediated keloid fibroblast apoptosis after flashlamp pulsed dye laser treatment. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2005. 36:31-37.
- Kuo Y, Yang KD, Wu W, Lin C, Sacks JM, Jeng S. Hyperfibrinogenenmia alone does not affect the patency of microvascular anastomosis: clinical experience and animal study. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2005, 54(4):435-441.
- Sacks JM, Mohan K, Baumann DP. Skin Cancer Reconstruction. In: Cancer of the Skin, 2nd. Ed(s) DS Rigel. Elsevier, Inc. 2011.
- Sacks JM, Hanasono MM, Baumann DP, Villa MT, Crosby MA, Robb GL. In Reconstructive Surgery in Cancer Patients. MD Anderson Surgical Oncology Handbook, 5th ed., Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins. 2011
- Sacks JM, Kronowitz SJ. Autologous Reconstruction: Latissimus Dorsi Flap. Master Techniques of Breast Surgery. Master Techniques in Breast Surgery (Master Techniques in General Surgery) Bland KI, Klimberg S. Lippincott Williams and Willkins. 2011
- Imbriglia JE, Sacks JM. Partial Scaphoid Excision for Scaphoid Non-Union. IN Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery.Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery.
Wiesel SW. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010
- Sacks JM, Azari K. Hand Tumors. In Plastic Surgery Secrets. Weinzweig J, Ed. Elsevier, 2010.
- Lee WP, Sacks JM, Horibe EK. World Experience of Hand Transplantation-Independent Assessment. In Transplantation of Composite Tissue Allografts. Hewitt C, Lee WPA, Gordon CR, Eds. Springer, 2007.
- Undadkat J, Sacks JM, Schneeberger S, Lee WP. Relative Antigenicity of Allograft Components and Differential Rejection. In Transplantation of Composite Tissue Allografts. Hewitt C, Lee WPA, Gordon CR, Eds. Springer, 2007.
- Niazi, ZBM, Sacks JM. Management of Acute Wounds. In Lee BY, Ed: The Wound Management Manual, McGraw-Hill, 2005.
- Sterry T, Sacks JM. Plastic Surgery After Excessive Weight Loss. In Inabnet WB, Demaria EJ, Ikramuddin S, Eds: Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005.
Activities & Honors
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
- American Society of Reconstructive Transplantation (Founding Member)
- Plastic Surgery Research Council
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Restoring Wholeness Through Reconstructive Surgery (February 2016)
7 Things You Might Not Know About Breast Reconstruction (October 2015)
Collaboration Creates Composite to Fill Surgical Cavities (September 2015)