Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Director, Vision Dynamics and Learning Lab
Research Interests: Signal processing; Robotics; Dynamical systems; Machine learning; Computer vision; Biomedical image analysis
- Director, Vision Dynamics and Learning Lab
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
- Biomedical image analysis: Surgical gesture and skill recognition, analysis of high angular resolution diffusion imaging (HARDI), classification of stem cell derived cardiac myocites, interactive medical image segmentationComputer vision: camera sensor networks, activity recognition, dynamic texture segmentation and recognition, 3D motion segmentation, non-rigid shape and motion analysis, structure from motion and multiple view geometry, omnidirectional vision
- Machine learning: manifold clustering, kernels on dynamical systems, GPCA, kernel GPCA, dynamic GPCA
- Dynamical systems: observability, identification, realization, metrics and topology for hybrid systems
- Robotics: formation control of teams of non-holonomic robots, coordination and control of multiple autonomous vehicles for pursuit-evasion games, multiple view motion estimation and control for landing an unmanned aerial vehicle
- Signal processing: consensus on manifolds, distributed optimization, compressive sensing.
Keen focus on the development of computational methods includes: 1) inferring models from images (image/video segmentation, motion segmentation), static data (subspace clustering) or dynamic data (identification of hybrid systems); and 2) using these models to accomplish a complex task — such as tracking fibers in the brain, recognizing actions in videos, landing a helicopter on a moving platform, pursuing a team of evaders, or following a formation.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Nassif M, Valenzuela V, Rojas-Rivera D, Vidal R, Matus S, Castillo K, Fuentealba Y, Kroemer G, Levine B, Hetz C. Pathogenic role of BECN1/Beclin 1 in the development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Autophagy. 2014 Jul 1;10(7):1256-71. doi: 10.4161/auto.28784. Epub 2014 May 12. PMID: 24905722 [PubMed - in process]
Valdés P, Mercado G, Vidal RL, Molina C, Parsons G, Court FA, Martinez A, Galleguillos D, Armentano D, Schneider BL, Hetz C. Control of dopaminergic neuron survival by the unfolded protein response transcription factor XBP1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 May 6;111(18):6804-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1321845111. Epub 2014 Apr 21. PMID: 24753614
Tao L, Zappella L, Hager GD, Vidal R. Surgical gesture segmentation and recognition. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2013;16(Pt 3):339-46. PMID: 24505779
Gorospe G, Younes L, Tung L, Vidal R. A metamorphosis distance for embryonic cardiac action potential interpolation and classification. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2013;16(Pt 1):469-76. PMID: 24505700
Ahmidi N, Gao Y, Béjar B, Vedula SS, Khudanpur S, Vidal R, Hager GD. String motif-based description of tool motion for detecting skill and gestures in robotic surgery. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2013;16(Pt 1):26-33. PMID: 24505645