Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
John Wai-Chiu Wong, Ph.D.
Director, Division of Medical Physics, Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiology Sciences
Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Research Interests: Radiotherapy; Image guided pre-clinical radiation research; Informatics for data sharing and decision support; Advanced cancer-treatment technologies ...read more
Dr. John W. Wong is a professor of radiation oncology and molecular radiology sciences and oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Wong developed the technology that gives radiation oncologists the ability to create CT images at the same time the patient receives radiation. This novel radiotherapy device, the patented Elekta Synergy, is now used worldwide, ushering in the era of image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT). He also invented the Active Breathing Coordinator.
Dr. Wong also serves as the director of the Division of Medical Physics in the Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences. In this role, he helps to coordinate all technical services and directly manages the department’s physics and dosimetry services to ensure the delivery of state-of-the-art methods of radiation treatment. He is also directly involved in the training program of the department. Over the years, he has been a mentor or associate advisor of over 30 doctoral candidates, medical residents, post-doctoral and medical fellows. Dr. Wong also directs the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center's Experimental Irradiator Core, which establishes dosimetry standards for radiation equipment, performs quality assurance, provides training for users and assists in the design and conduct of complex experiments.
Dr. Wong’s clinical interests include adaptive radiation therapy, motion management in radiation therapy, and image- and information-guided radiation therapy.
He earned his doctoral degree in medical biophysics at the University of Toronto. He joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2004.
Board certified with the American College of Medical Physicists, Dr. Wong is a member of the professional societies of American Association of Medical Physicists and the American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology. Active in research and the development of radiotherapy technologies, he has published more than 150 academic journal articles.
- Director, Division of Medical Physics, Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiology Sciences
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- SKCCC Experimental Irradiator
Research & Publications
Dr. Wong’s clinical research focuses on developing advanced radiation-treatment techniques that more effectively eradicate tumors while minimizing radiation-induced toxicity.
Dr. Wong serves on the invention team of the Active Breathing Coordinator, which helps to manage the motion of patients breathing during radiation treatment.
He also is helping to develop a cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) device with a flat-panel imager on a medical accelerator, with the goal of facilitating CT-guided radiation treatment.
Dr. Wong also is exploring the use of on-board 3-D ultrasound and CBCT as alternate ways of delivering multi-modality imaging information, such as MRI, to guide radiation treatment.
In addition, he serves as a co-principal investigator (with Drs. Todd McNutt and Theodore DeWeese) in developing the multidisciplinary, multi-institutional Oncospace informatics infrastructure. The database supports data reuse and promotes distributed data sharing for clinical research and decision making.
In the laboratory, Dr. Wong has developed a unique small-animal radiation research platform with CT-imaging capability to support the translation of pre-clinical radiation research for human treatment. The system is being enhanced to incorporate molecular-optical tomography to guide radiation and assess response.
Core Facility: SKCCC Experimental Irradiator
Learn more about clinical trials at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Cao X, Wu X, Frassica D, Yu B, Pang L, Xian L, Wan M, Lei W, Armour M, Tryggestad E, Wong J, Wen CY, Lu WW, Frassica FJ. "Irradiation induces bone injury by damaging bone marrow microenvironment for stem cells." Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011, 108(4):1609-14.
- Armour M, Ford E, Iordachita I, Wong J. "CT guidance is needed to achieve reproducible positioning of the mouse head for repeat precision cranial irradiation." Radiat Res. 2010 Jan;173(1):119-23.
- Yin F, Wong J, Balter J, Benedict S, Bissonnette JP, Craig T, Dong L, Jaffray D, Kim S, Ma C, Munro P, Solberg T, Wu QJ. "The role of in-room kV x-ray imaging for patient setup and target localization." AAPM Report 104, Task Group 104 of the Therapy Imaging Committee, AAPM, 2010.
- Vicini F, Winter K, Wong J, Pass H, Rabinovitch R, Chafe S, Arthur D, Petersen I, White J, McCormick. "Initial Efficacy Results of RTOG 0319: Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3D-CRT) Confined to the Region of the Lumpectomy Cavity for Stage I/ II Breast Carcinoma." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.15;77(4):1120-1127, 2010.
- Kang J, Smith K, McNutt T, Wong J, Ford E. "A method for optimizing LINAC treatment geometry for volumetric modulated arc therapy of multiple brain metastases." Med. Phys. 37, 4146- 4155, 2010.
- McNutt T, Wong J, Purdy J, Valicenti R, DeWeese T. "OncoSpace: A New Paradigm for Clinical Research and Decision Support in Radiation Oncology." Proceedings of the XVIth International Conference on the Use of Computers in Radiation Therapy, Amsterdam, 2010, Editor Jan-Jakob Sonke, Published by Het Nederlands Kanker Instituut - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Ziekenhuis ISBN: 978-90-75575-29-3
- Purger D, McNutt T, Achanta P, Quinones-Hinojosa A, Wong J, Ford E. "A histology-based atlas of the C57BL/6J mouse brain deformably registered to in vivo MRI for localized radiation and surgical targeting." Phys Med Biol. 2009; 54(24):7315-27. PMID: 19926915
- Ford EC, Gaudette R, Myers L, Vanderver B, Engineer L, Zellars R, Song DY, Wong J, Deweese TL."Evaluation of safety in a radiation oncology setting using failure mode and effects analysis." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 74(3): 852-8, 2009.
- Matinfar M, Ford E, Iordachita I, Wong J, and Kazanzides P. "Image Guided Small Animal Radiation Research Platform: Calibration of Treatment Beam Alignment." Journal of Physics in Medicine and Biology. 54 (2009) 1–15 PMID: 19141881
- Tryggestad E, Armour M, Iordachita I, Verhaegen F, Wong JW. "A comprehensive system for dosimetric commissioning and Monte Carlo validation for the small animal radiation research platform." Phys Med Biol. 2009 Sep 7;54(17):5341-57. PMID: 19687532.
- Wong J, Armour E, Kazanzides P, Iordachita I, Tryggestad E, Deng H, Matinfar M, Kennedy C, Liu Z, Chan T, Gray O, Verhaegen F, McNutt T, Ford E, DeWeese T. "A high resolution small animal radiation research platform (SARRP) with x-ray tomographic guidance capabilities." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 71(5):1591-1599. PMID: 18640502
- Jacques R, Taylor R, Wong J, McNutt T. "Towards Real-Time Radiation Therapy: GPU Accelerated Superposition/Convolution. High-Performance Medical Image Computing and Computer Aided Intervention (HP-MICCAI), New York, 2008, In electronic proceedings
- Keall PJ, Mageras GS, Balter JM, Emery RS, Forster KM, Jinag SB, Kapatoes JM, Low DA, Murphy MJ, Murray BR, Ramsey CR, Van Herk MB, Vedam SS, Wong JW, Yorke E. "The management of respiratory motion in radiation oncology report of AAPM Task Group 76." Med. Phys 33: 3874-3900, 2006.
- Letourneau D, Martinez AA, Lockman D, Yan D, Vargas C, Ivaldi G, Wong J. "Assessment of residual error for online cone-beam CT-guided treatment of prostate cancer patients." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 62: 1239–1246, 2005
- Jaffray DA, Siewerden JH, Wong JW, Martinez AA: "Flat-panel cone-beam computed tomography for image guided radiation therapy." Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 53: 1337-1349, 2002.
- Martinez A, Yan D, Lockman D, Brabbins D, Kota K, Sharpe M, Jaffray D, Vicini F, Wong J: "Improvement in dose escalation using the process of adaptive radiation therapy combined with 3D conformal or intensity modulated beams for prostate cancer." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 50, 1226-1234, 2001.
Activities & Honors
- American Association of Medical Physicists
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology