Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Michelle Nuttall Eakin, M.A., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Behavioral science and adherence; Asthma outcomes in inner-city children
Dr. Michelle Eakin is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Department. She studies asthma outcomes in inner-city children and behavioral science and adherence.
Dr. Eakin holds a bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University and a master’s degree from the University of Houston. She received a PhD from the University of Houston and completed fellowships at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine before joining the faculty.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- B.S., Brigham Young University (Utah) (1999)
- M.A., University of Houston (Texas) (2002)
- Ph.D., University of Houston (Texas) (2007)
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD; A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Okelo SO, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Bilderback AL, Diette GB, Rand CS, Yenokyan G. Pediatrician qualifications and asthma management behaviors and their association with patient race/ethnicity. J Asthma. 2013 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24256071
- Eakin MN, Riekert KA. The impact of medication adherence on lung health outcomes in cystic fibrosis. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2013 Nov;19(6):687-91.doi:10.1097/MCP.0b013e3283659f45. PMID: 24060982
- Eakin MN, Brady T, Kandasamy V, Fivush B, Riekert KA. Disparities in antihypertensive medication adherence in adolescents. Pediatr Nephrol. 2013 Aug;28(8):1267-73. doi: 10.1007/s00467-013-2455-2. Epub 2013 Mar 20. PMID: 23512259
- Okelo SO, Eakin MN, Patino CM, Teodoro AP, Bilderback AL, Thompson DA, Loiaza-Martinez A, Rand CS, Thyne S, Diette GB, Riekert KA. The Pediatric Asthma Control and Communication Instrument asthma questionnaire: for use in diverse children of all ages. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Jul;132(1):55-62. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.01.007. Epub 2013 Feb 21. PMID: 23434285
- Eakin MN, Rand CS. Improving patient adherence with asthma self-management practices: what works? Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012 Aug;109(2):90-2. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.06.009. No abstract available. PMID: 22840247
- Demissie S, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Bilderback A, Diette GB, Okelo SO. How Do Perceptions of Asthma Control and Severity Relate to Indicators of Asthma Status and Treatment Recommendations by Pediatricians? Pediatr Allergy Immunol Pulmonol. 2012 Mar;25(1):17-23. PMID: 22454788
- Eakin MN, Rand CS, Bilderback A, Bollinger ME, Butz A, Kandasamy V, Riekert KA. Asthma in Head Start children: effects of the Breathmobile program and family communication on asthma outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3):664-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.10.013. Epub 2011 Nov 21. PMID: 22104603
- Collaco JM, Kole AJ, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Okelo SO, McGrath-Morrow SA. Respiratory medication adherence in chronic lung disease of prematurity. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Mar;47(3):283-91. doi: 10.1002/ppul.21547. Epub 2011 Sep 8. PMID: 21905271
- Eakin MN, Bilderback A, Boyle MP, Mogayzel PJ, Riekert KA. Longitudinal association between medication adherence and lung health in people with cystic fibrosis. J Cyst Fibros. 2011 Jul;10(4):258-64. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2011.03.005. Epub 2011 Mar 31. PMID: 21458391
- Collaco JM, Choi SJ, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, McGrath-Morrow SA, Okelo SO. Socio-economic factors and outcomes in chronic lung disease of prematurity. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2011 Jul;46(7):709-16. doi: 10.1002/ppul.21422. Epub 2011 Feb 15. PMID: 21328574