I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
D'Jahna Akinyemi, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Allergic Diseases, Allergic Rhinitis, Allergy and Immunology, Asthma, Atopic Dermatitis, Drug Reactions, Urticaria and Angioedema
Research Interests: Drug allergy and the impact that being labeled allergic to antibiotics has on the outcomes of patients hospitalized with a serious infection such as community-acquired pneumonia. ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-2300
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. D’Jahna Akinyemi joined the faculty in the fall of 2012 following three years of allergy and clinical immunology postdoctoral fellowship training at the University of Pennsylvania. She received the first ever American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology/Schering-Plough Allergy/Immunology Fellowship of Excellence Award. Her interests provide a unique opportunity to partner across disciplines such as general internal medicine, infectious diseases, pharmacy and the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality to improve the outcomes of inpatients with a history of antibiotic allergy that require antibiotic treatment. Studies have shown that as many as 25% of hospitalized patients report have at least one antibiotic allergy, yet other studies have shown that when fully characterized, about 80% of such cases are either incorrect or can be shown to no longer be active based on antibiotic allergy testing. This means that the vast majority of hospitalized patients are unnecessarily being denied access to a full range of antibiotics, especially when these antibiotics to which they are presumed allergic represent the drug of choice for their infection.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Howard University College of Medicine (2005)
- Washington Hospital Center / Internal Medicine (2008)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania / Allergy and Clinical Immunology (2012)
- American Board of Allergy & Immunology / Allergy & Immunology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2008)
Activities & Honors
- Immunology Fellowship of Excellence Award, American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology