Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Firas H Al-Kawas, M.D.
Director of Endoscopy, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Arabic
Expertise: Barrett's Esophagus, Endoscopy, Gastroenterology, Gastroesophageal Cancer
Request an Appointment
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5555
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Firas H. Al-Kawas is the director of endoscopy at Sibley Memorial Hospital and a professor of medicine. Dr. Al-Kawas joined Johns Hopkins Medicine from Georgetown University, where he was the chief of endoscopy for 15 years. He is board certified in gastroenterology and internal medicine and is a world-renowned authority in pancreatobiliary disease and interventional endoscopy. Dr. Kawas currently sees patients out of the Johns Hopkins Community Physicians office at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Al-Kawas’ areas of expertise include Barrett’s esophagus, gastroenterology and gastroesophageal cancer.
Dr. Al-Kawas earned his medical degree from Damascus University. He completed his pathology and internal medicine residency trainings at D.C. General Hospital and then went on to the Washington D.C. VA Medical Center where he completed a fellowship in gastroenterology and hepatology.
Dr. Al-Kawas has been selected yearly as one of three individuals in North American to receive the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy’s highest honors, the Master Endoscopist award, in recognition for his impressive career as a gastroenterologist, endoscopist and administrator. In 2001, he was selected as one of the Best Doctors in America. Dr. Al-Kawas is a fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology, the American College of Physicians, the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and a member of the American Gastroenterological Association. He is also a honorary member of the Syrian Society of Gastroenterology and the West Virginia Gastrointestinal Society.
Dr. Al-Kawas has delivered more than 200 lectures around the world and published more than 120 papers and book chapters addressing a variety of topics in gastroenterology and endoscopy.
- Director of Endoscopy, Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Professor of Medicine
- MD, Damascus University (1974)
- DC General Hospital / Pathology (1976)
- DC General Hospital / Internal Medicine (1979)
- Washington DC VA Medical Center / Gastroenterology and Hepatology (1981)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (1983)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1979)
Activities & Honors
- Best Doctors in America, selected yearly, 2001
- Master Endoscopist, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy(ASGE), 2006
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American College of Physicians
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Syrian Society of Gastroenterology
- West Virginia Gastrointestinal Society