I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lora L. Clawson, M.S.N.
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Lora L. Clawson, MSN, CRNP is Director of ALS Clinical Services at Johns Hopkins. She coordinates ALS clinical care management, clinical research studies, and community fundraising for ALS clinical services, which includes the $2 million Cal Ripken/Lou Gehrig donation to Johns Hopkins in 1995.
Her ALS career began at Hopkins over 20 years ago as a Research Nurse Coordinator. She became the facilitator of the Baltimore ALS Support Group and the Salisbury ALS Support Group. As an ALS expert, Ms. Clawson has coordinated over 25 ALS research studies, co-authored over 30 publications, and over 40 abstracts at ALS conferences around the country. She has chaired the National Neuromuscular Nursing Advisory Board and the Mid-Atlantic Regional Advisory Board for ALS, served on many committees such as The Robert Wood Johnson Excellence in End of Life Care in ALS, the ALSA Clinic Certification Committee, the El Escorial Revised Diagnostic Criteria, World Federation of Neurology, ALS Research Group, Hospice Network of Maryland, and the ALS Northeast Consortium Executive committee. Ms. Clawson was the recipient of the Vickie Appel Award for Excellence in ALS Clinical Care in January 1999.
Ms. Clawson was appointed to the faculty of the Department of Neurology in 1998. Now an Assistant Professor, she teaches at the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing and serves as a mentor and instructor to undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Departments / Divisions
- Neurology - Neuromuscular Medicine
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
- ALSUntangled no. 23: the Rife machine and retroviruses. ALSUntangled Group. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2014 Mar;15(1-2):157-9. doi: 10.3109/21678421.2013.850802. Epub 2013 Nov 13. No abstract available. PMID: 24219300
- High-dosage ascorbic acid treatment in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1A: results of a randomized, double-masked, controlled trial. Lewis RA, McDermott MP, Herrmann DN, Hoke A, Clawson LL, Siskind C, Feely SM, Miller LJ, Barohn RJ, Smith P, Luebbe E, Wu X, Shy ME; Muscle Study Group. JAMA Neurol. 2013 Aug;70(8):981-7. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2013.3178. PMID: 23797954
- Electrical impedance myography as a biomarker to assess ALS progression. Rutkove SB, Caress JB, Cartwright MS, Burns TM, Warder J, David WS, Goyal N, Maragakis NJ, Clawson L, Benatar M, Usher S, Sharma KR, Gautam S, Narayanaswami P, Raynor EM, Watson ML, Shefner JM. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2012 Sep;13(5):439-45. doi: 10.3109/17482968.2012.688837. Epub 2012 Jun 7. PMID: 22670883
- Recombinant expression of the AChR-alpha1 subunit for the detection of conformation-dependent epitopes in Myasthenia Gravis. Ching KH, Burbelo PD, Kimball RM, Clawson LL, Corse AM, Iadarola MJ. Neuromuscul Disord. 2011 Mar;21(3):204-13. doi: 10.1016/j.nmd.2010.12.003. Epub 2010 Dec 30. PMID: 21195619
- A phase II trial of talampanel in subjects with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Pascuzzi RM, Shefner J, Chappell AS, Bjerke JS, Tamura R, Chaudhry V, Clawson L, Haas L, Rothstein JD. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010 May 3;11(3):266-71. doi: 10.3109/17482960903307805. PMID: 19961264
Activities & Honors
- Vickie Appel Award for Excellence in ALS Clinical Care , 1999
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
TV appearance with Kai Jackson on CBS: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/tag/lora-clawson/