Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Kristine Glunde, M.S., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Choline; Lysosomes; Prostate cancer; Breast cancer; Cancer metabolism; Cancer; Mass spectrometry imaging; Optical imaging; Magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging; Multimodal molecular and cellular imaging ...read more
Kristine Glunde, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of MR Research within the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science and a member of the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center. Her area of specialty is multimodal molecular and cellular imaging of breast and prostate cancer.
Dr. Glunde earned her doctoral degree in biochemistry – as well as a diploma in chemistry and biochemistry – from Germany’s University of Bremen. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship in cancer imaging research at Johns Hopkins and joined the faculty in 2003.
Dr. Glunde’s laboratory investigates cancer at the cellular and molecular level with the goal of better understanding, diagnosing, treating and preventing it. Her team has developed novel near-infrared optical imaging agents and demonstrated their feasibility for in vivo optical imaging of breast tumor models.
Dr. Glunde’s research interests include multimodal molecular and cellular imaging, magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging, optical imaging, mass spectrometry imaging in cancer and cancer metabolism – particularly in breast and prostate cancer.
She is currently leading a number of National Institutes of Health-funded studies.
Dr. Glunde is a member of professional organizations that include the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, American Association for Cancer Research, the American Society for Cell Biology and the Society for Molecular Imaging.
She has served as a grant reviewer for entities including the U.S. Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health and European Science Foundation, as well as a reviewer for publications such as The Lancet Oncology, Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Molecular Imaging and Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., University of Bremen (Germany) (1994)
- M.S., University of Bremen (Germany) (1997)
- Ph.D., University of Bremen (Germany) (2000)
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 2003
Research & Publications
Dr. Glunde conducts multimodal molecular imaging studies that combine in vivo magnetic resonance (MR) spectroscopic imaging, optical imaging and mass spectrometry imaging to decipher novel hypoxia-driven signaling pathways in the breast tumor microenvironment.
All projects in Dr. Glunde’s laboratory combine strong imaging and microscopy components with biochemical, molecular and cellular methodologies. The goal is to investigate cancer at the cellular and molecular level to better understand, diagnose, treat and prevent this disease.
Her laboratory has developed novel near-infrared optical imaging agents and demonstrated their feasibility for in vivo optical imaging of breast tumor models.
She also investigates choline metabolism (choline kinase) in breast cancer using MR spectroscopy and biochemical methods; the role of lysosomal trafficking and lysosome biology in cancer invasion and metastasis; and novel methods of optically imaging lysosomes in live cells and tumor models using newly synthesized compounds and fluorescence microscopy and imaging.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Mori N, Gadiya M, Wildes F, Krishnamachary B, Glunde K, Bhujwalla ZM. "Characterization of choline kinase in human endothelial cells." NMR Biomed. 2013 Nov;26(11):1501-7. doi: 10.1002/nbm.2983. Epub 2013 Jun 18.
- Jiang L, Wijnen JP, Glunde K. "Malignant transformation: the role of MRS." Eur J Radiol. 2012 Sep;81 Suppl 1:S66-8. doi: 10.1016/S0720-048X(12)70026-8. No abstract available.
- Chughtai K, Jiang L, Post H, Winnard PT Jr, Greenwood TR, Raman V, Bhujwalla ZM, Heeren RM, Glunde K. "Mass spectrometric imaging of red fluorescent protein in breast tumor xenografts." J Am Soc Mass Spectrom. 2013 May;24(5):711-7. doi: 10.1007/s13361-012-0503-y. Epub 2012 Nov 27.
- Kakkad SM, Solaiyappan M, Argani P, Sukumar S, Jacobs LK, Leibfritz D, Bhujwalla ZM, Glunde K. "Collagen I fiber density increases in lymph node positive breast cancers: pilot study." J Biomed Opt. 2012 Nov;17(11):116017. doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.17.11.116017.
- Jiang L, Greenwood TR, Artemov D, Raman V, Winnard PT Jr, Heeren RM, Bhujwalla ZM, Glunde K. "Localized hypoxia results in spatially heterogeneous metabolic signatures in breast tumor models." Neoplasia. 2012 Aug;14(8):732-41.
Activities & Honors
- Travel Award, for participation in the International Conferences on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems (ICMRBS), 2005
- Travel Award, For participation in the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), 2002
- Travel Award, For participation in the ISMRM conference, 2000
- Travel Award by the, German Research Foundation- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) for participation in the ASMS conference, 2000
- First Place Poster Award MR Spectroscopy, ISMRM, 2005
- Career Development Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2003 - 2005
- Travel Award for participation in the ISMRM conference, Philadelphia, 1999
- Nomination and participation in the 57th Meeting of Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine, 2007
- Graduate Student Stipend for attending the Ph.D. program at the University of Bremen, Forschungs-Nachwuchs-Kommission (FNK) , 1997
- Excellence Award "Stiftung Constancia von 1823" , University of Bremen, 1996