Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Cynthia S. Rand, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Healthcare disparities; Outcomes and quality of life; Asthma and COPD therapy adherence
Dr. Cynthia Rand is a Professor of Medicine in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Department. She studies health care disparities, asthma and COPD therapy adherence and outcomes and quality of life.
Dr. Rand holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Berkeley and a PhD from Johns Hopkins University. She completed a fellowship at Johns Hopkins before joining the faculty in 1985. She is a member of the American Thoracic Society, the European Thoracic Society and the Maryland Thoracic Society. Her work has been recognized with a Department of Medicine David M. Levine Excellence in Mentoring Award in 2002, a Johns Hopkins Women’s Network Leadership Award in 2003, a Department of Medicine Women’s Task Force Leadership in Academic Medicine Award in 2004, an American Thoracic Society Behavioral Science Assembly Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007 and a Johns Hopkins Bayview Center for Innovative Medicine Bayview Scholar award in 2007.
- Professor of Medicine
- Joint Appointment in Pediatrics
- Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Okelo SO, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Bilderback AL, Diette GB, Rand CS, Yenokyan G. Pediatrician qualifications and asthma management behaviors and their association with patient race/ethnicity. J Asthma. 2013 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24256071
- Okelo SO, Eakin MN, Patino CM, Teodoro AP, Bilderback AL, Thompson DA, Loiaza-Martinez A, Rand CS, Thyne S, Diette GB, Riekert KA. The Pediatric Asthma Control and Communication Instrument asthma questionnaire: for use in diverse children of all ages. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Jul;132(1):55-62. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.01.007. Epub 2013 Feb 21. PMID: 23434285
- Ahmedani BK, Peterson EL, Wells KE, Rand CS, Williams LK. Asthma medication adherence: the role of God and other health locus of control factors. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013 Feb;110(2):75-9.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.11.006. Epub 2012 Dec 7. PMID: 23352524
- Daugherty EL, Paine LA, Maragakis LL, Sexton JB, Rand CS. Safety culture and hand hygiene: linking attitudes to behavior. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012 Dec;33(12):1280-2. doi: 10.1086/668432. Epub 2012 Oct 29. No abstract available. PMID: 23143375
- Eakin MN, Rand CS. Improving patient adherence with asthma self-management practices: what works? Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012 Aug;109(2):90-2. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.06.009. No abstract available. PMID: 22840247
- Foster JM, Smith L, Usherwood T, Sawyer SM, Rand CS, Reddel HK. The reliability and patient acceptability of the SmartTrack device: a new electronic monitor and reminder device for metered dose inhalers. J Asthma. 2012 Aug;49(6):657-62. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2012.684253. Epub 2012 Jun 28. PMID: 22741746
- Wilson SR, Rand CS, Cabana MD, Foggs MB, Halterman JS, Olson L, Vollmer WM, Wright RJ, Taggart V. Asthma outcomes: quality of life. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3 Suppl):S88-123. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.12.988. Review. PMID: 22386511
- Rand CS, Wright RJ, Cabana MD, Foggs MB, Halterman JS, Olson L, Vollmer WM, Wilson SR, Taggart V. Mediators of asthma outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3 Suppl):S136-41. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.12.987. Review. PMID: 22386506
- Krishnan JA, Bender BG, Wamboldt FS, Szefler SJ, Adkinson NF Jr, Zeiger RS, Wise RA, Bilderback AL, Rand CS; Adherence Ancillary Study Group. Adherence to inhaled corticosteroids: an ancillary study of the Childhood Asthma Management Program clinical trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Jan;129(1):112-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.10.030. Epub 2011 Nov 21. PMID: 22104610
- Eakin MN, Rand CS, Bilderback A, Bollinger ME, Butz A, Kandasamy V, Riekert KA. Asthma in Head Start children: effects of the Breathmobile program and family communication on asthma outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3):664-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.10.013. Epub 2011 Nov 21. PMID: 22104603