I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Brendan J. Canning, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Airway reflexes; Innervation of the airways; Airway defensive reflexes
Contact for Research Inquiries
Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Brendan J. Canning, Ph.D. is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He joined the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology of the Department of Medicine in 1996. He is Co-Editor-in-Chief of Cough, an Associate Editor for the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics and an Associate Editor for Frontiers in Respiration Physiology. Dr. Canning has served as a scientific advisory board member and a consultant for many pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., University of Maryland (College Park) (Maryland) (1986)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (1993)
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 1996, Research Postdoctoral Fellowship, Division of Allergy & Clinical Immunology
Research & Publications
We study airway neural control. We have characterized the CNS pathways regulating airway defensive reflexes and the interactions amongst various afferent nerve subtypes in regulating these reflexes. Our experimental approaches include electrophysiological recordings, CNS microinjection techniques, in vivo preparations for monitoring cough and reflex bronchospasm, neuronal tracing and immunohistochemistry.
- Kesler, BS and BJ Canning (1999). Regulation of baseline cholinergic tone in guinea-pig airway smooth muscle. J Physiol (Lond.), 518: 843-856. View on Pubmed
- Canning, BJ, SM Reynolds and SB Mazzone (2001). Multiple mechanisms of reflex bronchospasm in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol, 91(6): 2642-2653. View on Pubmed
- Mazzone, SB and BJ Canning (2002). Evidence for differential reflex regulation of cholinergic and noncholinergic parasympathetic nerves innervating the airways. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, (8), 1076-1083. View on Pubmed
- Mazzone, SB and BJ Canning (2002). Synergistic interactions between airway afferent nerve subtypes mediating reflex bronchospasm in guinea pigs. Am J Physiol (Regul Integr Comp Physiol), 283, R86-R98. View on Pubmed
- Canning, BJ, SM Reynolds, LU Anukwu, R Kajekar and AC Myers (2002). Endogenous neurokinins facilitate synaptic neurotransmisssion in guinea pig airway parasympathetic ganglia. Am J Physiol (Regul Integr Comp Physiol), 283, R320-R330. View on Pubmed
- Canning, BJ, SB Mazzone, SN Meeker, SM Reynolds and BJ Undem (2004). Identification of the tracheal and laryngeal afferent neurones mediating cough in anaesthetised guinea-pigs. J. Physiol., 557 (2), 543-558. View on Pubmed
Activities & Honors
- Equipment Committee Chair, Division of Clinical Immunology, 2000
- Expert panel on cough, American College of Chest Physicians, 2004
- President, Pulmonary Research Group, 2001 - 2003
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, 2000