Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ana Kiess, M.D., Ph.D.
Ana Ponce Kiess, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Head and Neck Cancers, Head and Neck Tumors, Radiation Oncology, Skin Cancer, Skin Cancer of the Head and Neck, Thyroid Cancer ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-502-8000
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-502-8000
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ana Kiess's clinical focus is on the treatment of head and neck cancers, and her research concentrates on the integration of novel molecular imaging and treatment techniques into the clinic.
Dr. Kiess received her bachelors of science degree in chemical engineering from the University of Virginia, after which she obtained a doctorate of medicine and a doctorate of philosophy degree in biomedical engineering from Duke University. Following medical school, she matriculated to the resident staff at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, receiving extensive oncologic training and research experience. She also completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in the Department of Radiology.
- Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine (2008)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center / Radiation Oncology (2013)
- American Board of Radiology / Radiation Oncology (2014, 2018)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
1. Zeller PJ, Skalak TC, Ponce AM, Price RJ. In vivo chemotactic properties and spatial expression of PDGF in developing mesenteric microvascular networks. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2001, May; 280(5):H2116-H2125.
2. Ponce AM, Price RJ. Angiogenic stimulus determines the positioning of pericytes within capillary sprouts in vivo. Microvascular Research. 2003, Jan; 65(1):45-48.
3. Anderson CR, Ponce AM, Price RJ. Absence of OX-43 antigen expression in invasive capillary sprouts: identification of a capillary sprout-specific endothelial phenotype. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2004, Jan; 286(1):H346-H353.
4. Anderson CR, Ponce AM, Price RJ. Immunohistochemical identification of an extracellular matrix scaffold that microguides capillary sprouting in vivo. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry. 2004, Aug; 52(8):1063-1072.
5. Viglianti BL, Ponce AM, Michelich CR, Yu D, Abraham SA, Sanders L, Yarmolenko PS, Schroeder T, Macfall JR, Barboriak DP, Colvin OM, Bally MB, Dewhirst MW. Chemodosimetry of in vivo tumor liposomal drug concentration using MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2006, Nov; 56(5):1011-1018.
6. Ponce AM, Viglianti BL, Yu D, Yarmolenko PS, Michelich CR, Woo J, Bally MB, Dewhirst MW. Magnetic resonance imaging of temperature-sensitive liposome release: drug dose painting and antitumor effects. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2007, Jan; 99(1):53-63.
7. Vlahovic G*, Ponce AM*, Rabbani Z, Salahuddin FK, Zgonjanin L, Spasojevic I, Vujaskovic Z, Dewhirst MW. Treatment with imatinib improves drug delivery and efficacy in NSCLC xenografts. British Journal of Cancer. 2007, Sept; 97(6): 735-40.*Equal contributing authors
8. Kiess AP, McArthur HL, Mahoney K, Patil S, Morris PG, Ho A, Hudis CA, McCormick B. Adjuvant trastuzumab reduces locoregional recurrence in women who receive breast-conservation therapy for lymph node-negative, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer. Cancer. 2012, April; 118(8): 1982-88.
9. Kiess AP, Damast S, Makker V, Kollmeier MA, Gardner GJ, Abu-Rustum NR, Barakat RR, Alektiar KM. Five-year outcomes of adjuvant carboplatin/paclitaxel chemotherapy and intravaginal radiation for stage I-II papillary serous endometrial cancer. Gynecologic Oncology. 2012, Nov; 127(2): 321-325.
10. Kiess AP, Yahalom J. Primary follicular lymphoma of the gastrointestinal tract: effect of stage, symptoms and treatment choice on outcome. Leukemia and Lymphoma. 2013, Jan; 54(1): 177-180.
11. Desai NB, Kiess AP, Kollmeier MA, Abu-Rustum NR, Makker V, Barakat RR, Alektiar KM. Patterns of relapse in stage I-II uterine papillary serous carcinoma treated with adjuvant intravaginal radiation (IVRT) with or without chemotherapy. Gynecologic Oncology. 2013, Dec; 131(3):604-608.
Activities & Honors
- Pre-Doctoral Research Fellowship, Dept of Defense Breast Cancer Program., 2004 - 2006
- Best Abstract Award, Dept of Radiation Oncology, 2006
- Scholar in Training Travel Award, Radiation Research Society., 2005
- Thesis Contest 2nd prize, University of Virginia School of Engineering., 2001
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship, University of Virginia., 1999
- Junior Brachytherapy Travel Award, World Congress of Brachytherapy., 2012
- Achievement Scholar., University of Virginia , 1997 - 2001
- Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship., 2001 - 2008
- Eleanor Montague Distinguished Resident Award in Radiation Oncology, AAWR , 2011
- American Association for Women Radiologists, 2009
- American Society for Radiation Oncology, 2009
- European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology, 2012