Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Cyrus David Mintz, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Brain development; Anesthesia
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0942
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. C. David Mintz is an assistant professor of anesthesiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology.
Dr. Mintz received an undergraduate degree in neurosciences from Brown University. He earned his master’s degree, Ph.D. and M.D. from The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He completed his residency and fellowship in anesthesiology at Columbia Presbyterian University Medical Center. Dr. Mintz joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2013.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Mintz was an instructor in anesthesiology at Columbia University.
Dr. Mintz''s research interests focus on how anesthesia affects brain development. His research has garnered awards, including the first prize in the Resident Research Contest by both the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists’ Post Graduate Assembly and by the American Society of Anesthesiologists. He was also the recipient of the Apgar Research Scholarship that helped fund his research from 2008 to 2012.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- MD PhD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (2007)
- Columbia University Medical Center / Anesthesiology (2011)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2013, 2023)
Research & Publications
- Mintz CD, Friedman A. "Case Report: Masseter spasm on induction in a patient with scleroderma." In preparation, target journal Anesthesia and Analgesia.
- Mintz CD, Barrett KMS, Smith SC, Benson DL, Harrison NL. (2013) "Anesthetics interfere with axon guidance in developing mouse neocortical neurons via a GABAA receptor mechanism." Anesthesiology, 2013 Apr;118(4):825-33.
- Mintz CD, Wagener M, Loepke AW. "Preclinical Research into the effects of anesthetics on the developing brain—promises and pitfalls." J Neurosurg Anesthesiol, 2012 Oct;24(4):362-7.
- Mintz CD, Smith SC, Barrett KMS, Benson DL. "Anesthetics interfere with the polarization of developing cortical neurons." J Neurosurg Anesthesiol, 2012 Oct;24(4):368-75.
- Mintz, CD. Book Review: Anesthetic Pharmacology: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice, 2nd Edition. Anesthesiology, 117(4):926-927.
- Hoffman EJ, Mintz CD, Wang S, McNickle DG, Salton SR, Benson DL. "Effects of ethanol on axon outgrowth and branching in developing rat cortical neurons." Neuroscience. 2008 Dec 2;157(3):556-65.
- Mintz CD, Carcea I, McNickle DG, Dickson TC, Ge Y, Salton SR, Benson DL. "ERM proteins regulate growth cone responses to Sema3A." J Comp Neurol. 2008 Oct 1;510(4):351-66.
- Mintz CD, Anderson TR, Bekirov IH, Benson DL. "Neuronal differentiation: from axons to synapses," Chapter in Brain Development: Normal Processes and the Effects of Alcohol and Nicotine, Ed. by MW Miller, Oxford University Press.
- Mintz CD, Dickson TC, Gripp ML, Benson. "ERMs colocalize transiently with L1 during neocortical axon outgrowth." J Comp Neurol. 2003 Sep 29;464(4):438-48.
- Dickson TC, Mintz CD, Benson DL, Salton SR. "Functional binding interaction identified between the axonal CAM L1 and members of the ERM family." J Cell Biol. 2002 Jun 24;157(7):1105-12. Epub 2002 Jun 17.
- Nash MS, Mintz CD, Montalvo BM, Jacobs PL (2000) A randomized blinded comparison of two methods used for venous antistasis in tetraplegia. J Spinal Cord Inj Med 2000 Winter;23(4):221-7.
- Jacobs PL, Nash MS, Mintz CD. "Assessment of fractional expired gases and air flow by an ambulatory metabolic analyzer." JEPonline. 1999; 2:20-28.
Activities & Honors
- First Prize, Resident Research Contest, Post Graduate Assembly/New York State Society of Anesthesiologists, 2012
- First Prize, Resident Research Contest, American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2012
- Best of Abstracts: Basic Science, American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2012
- First Prize, Basic Science, Columbia Anesthesiology Academic Evening, 2012
- Resident Travel Award, Association of University Anesthesiologists, 2012
- Apgar Research Scholarship, 2008 - 2012
- First Prize, Basic Science, Columbia Anesthesiology Academic Evening, 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Lambda Chapter, 2006
- Invited talk, Mount Sinai Medical Student Research Day, 2005
- Honorable Mention, Mount Sinai Medical Student Research Day, 2003
- Glenn Biology of Aging Fellowship, American Federation of Aging Research, 2002
- Magna Cum Laude, Brown University, 1999
- Neuroscience Departmental Honors, Brown University, 1999
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, Brown University, 1999
- Undergraduate Teaching and Research Award, Brown University, 1998
- Summer Scholar, American Heart Association, 1995