Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jerilyn K. Allen, Sc.D.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Preventive cardiology, health behavior change, cardiovascular risk factors, women & heart disease, nurse case management, technology & health ...read more
Jerilyn Allen is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. She is known throughout the international nursing and medical communities for her research on the prevention of cardiovascular disease as well as beneficial lifestyle modifications for persons with or at high risk for the disease. Through clinical and community-based research, Dr. Allen has developed and tested such innovative care models as a nurse case management program for the treatment of cardiovascular risk factors and increasing adherence to national guidelines in federally qualified community clinics to improve health outcomes in patients with diabetes and cardiovascular disease in urban underserved populations.
As principal investigator and co-investigator on multidisciplinary research teams in the medical and public health arenas, she has advocated the nursing perspective on issues critical to care. Dr. Allen is a highly regarded mentor, guiding and developing faculty and students within the schools of Nursing, Medicine, and Public Health at Johns Hopkins and other universities internationally.
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine - Cardiovascular
Research & Publications
- Primary and secondary prevention of heart disease
- Health behavior change interventions
- Nurse case management
- Use of technology for behavior change
Activities & Honors
- Ada Sue Hinshaw Award, National Institutes of Health’s Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research, 2012
- Sigma Theta Tau International Researchers Hall of Fame, 2012
- Best Abstract Award of the 73rd Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, 2000
- Katharine A. Lembright Award for outstanding contributions and achievements in the field of cardiovascular nursing research, American Heart Association, 1998
- Special Recognition Award, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association, for leadership and contributions to the Council, 1997