Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Marie-France Penet, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Dr. Marie-France Penet is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science. Her research focuses on magnetic resonance imaging.
Dr. Penet received her undergraduate degree and master’s degree in cellular biology and physiology from the University of Aix-Marseille II in France. She also earned her Ph.D. in biology from the University of Aix-Marseille II. Dr. Penet completed a post-doctorate fellowship in radiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 2010. Dr. Penet joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2011.
Dr. Penet received the 2012 Tina Brozman Foundation grant to study ovarian cancer with imaging.
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- B.Sc., University d'Aix-Marseille II - Faculte de Medicine - Marseille - (France) (2000)
- Ph.D., University d'Aix-Marseille II - Faculte de Medicine - Marseille - (France) (2005)
University of Aix-Marseille II, France, Marseille, France, 2002, Post Graduate Immunology; The JHU ICMIC Program of the Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2010, Postdoctoral Fellow
Research & Publications
Dr. Penet has a strong background in imaging mice with MR techniques. Her imaging expertise began during her Ph.D. when she performed brain imaging studies of mice infected with Plasmodium berghei ANKA, parasites that induce the murine form of cerebral malaria. As a post-doctoral fellow in Pr. Zaver Bhujwalla’s laboratory, she worked on imaging orthotopic prostate cancer models. She has also performed surgical orthotopic implantation of prostate tumor pieces in male SCID mice.
- Penet MF, Glunde K, Jacobs MA, Mori N, Artemov D and Bhujwalla ZM. "Oncological Applications of MR Spectroscopy. In: Molecular Imaging in Oncology" Informa Publishing (2008).
- Li C, Penet MF, Winnard P, Artemov D, Bhujwalla ZM. "Image-guided enzyme/prodrug cancer therapy" Clin Can Res, 2008; 14: 515-522 Prior to April 2008.
- Penet MF, Pathak AP, Raman V, Ballesteros P, Artemov D, Bhujwalla ZM. "Noninvasive Multi-parametric Imaging of Metastasis-Permissive Microenvironments in a Human Prostate Cancer Xenograft." Cancer Res, 2009; 69:8822-9 PMCID2783669.
- Li C, Penet MF, Wildes F, Takagi T, Chen Z, Winnard PT, Artemov D, Bhujwalla ZM. "Nanoplex Delivery of siRNA and Prodrug Enzyme for Multimodality Image-Guided Molecular Pathway Targeted Cancer Therapy" ACS Nano, 2010; 4(11):6707-16 PMCID2991391.
- Shah T, Wildes F, Penet MF, Winnard PT Jr, Glunde K, Artemov D, Ackerstaff E, Gimi B, Kakkad S, Raman V, Bhujwalla ZM. "Choline kinase overexpression increases invasiveness and drug resistance of human breast cancer cells." NMR Biomed. 2010 Jul;23(6):633-42. PMCID3115627.
Activities & Honors
- Travel Award, ISMRM, 2009
- Travel Award, ISMRM, 2007
- Grant to study ovarian cancer with imaging, Tina Brozman Foundation, 2012
- American Association of Cancer Research, 2006
- International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2006