Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Yoon-Young Jang, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-Director, Stem Cell Biology Laboratory
Associate Professor of Oncology
- Co-Director, Stem Cell Biology Laboratory
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- M.D., Chung Ang University - Seoul (South Korea) (1998)
- Ph.D., Chung Ang University - Seoul (South Korea) (2002)
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, 2004, Postdoctoral training
Research & Publications
The Jang lab focuses on understanding stem cell fate changes and their therapeutic applications. Her team uses both multipotent and pluripotent stem cells as research tools for studying pathogenesis of liver diseases, including chronic liver diseases and carcinogenesis. Researchers in the Jang lab generated a large panel of human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines - both from healthy and diseased tissues - including primary hepatocytes, bone marrow stem cells, blood cells, keratinocytes, fibroblasts and tumor cells. In addition, they successfully differentiated these iPSCs into early and late stage hepatic cells by a step-wise hepatic specification protocol. Jang's research team showed the comprehensive functionality of these iPSC-derived liver cells using both in vitro and in vivo assays. Recently, their iPSC generation and hepatic differentiation technologies were successfully used in liver disease modeling, drug testing and cell therapy. Jang's lab is currently committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic approaches to liver disease prevention and treatment using this patient-specific iPSC technology.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Chaudhari P, Ye Z, Jang YY. Roles of reactive oxygen species in the fate of stem cells. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2014 Apr 20;20(12):1881-90. doi: 10.1089/ars.2012.4963. Epub 2012 Nov 19. PMID: 23066813 [PubMed - in process]
- Choi SM, Kim Y, Shim JS, Park JT, Wang RH, Leach SD, Liu JO, Deng C, Ye Z, Jang YY. Efficient drug screening and gene correction for treating liver disease using patient-specific stem cells. Hepatology. 2013 Jun;57(6):2458-68. doi: 10.1002/hep.26237.
- Sharkis SJ, Jones RJ, Civin C, Jang YY. Pluripotent stem cell-based cancer therapy: promise and challenges. Sci Transl Med. 2012 Mar 28;4(127):127ps9. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3003920. Review. PMID: 22461639
- Tsai HC, Li H, Van Neste L, Cai Y, Robert C, Rassool FV, Shin JJ, Harbom KM, Beaty R, Pappou E, Harris J, Yen RW, Ahuja N, Brock MV, Stearns V, Feller-Kopman D, Yarmus LB, Lin YC, Welm AL, Issa JP, Minn I, Matsui W, Jang YY, Sharkis SJ, Baylin SB, Zahnow CA. Transient low doses of DNA-demethylating agents exert durable antitumor effects on hematological and epithelial tumor cells. Cancer Cell. 2012 Mar 20;21(3):430-46. doi: 10.1016/j.ccr.2011.12.029. PMID: 22439938
- Ye Z, Liu CF, Jang YY. Hematopoietic cells as sources for patient-specific iPSCs and disease modeling. Cell Cycle. 2011 Sep 1;10(17):2840-4. Epub 2011 Sep 1. PMID: 21857158