Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Tinsay Ambachew Woreta, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cirrhosis, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Liver Disease, Liver Transplant Evaluation, Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Viral Hepatitis, Acute or Chronic ...read more
Research Interests: Hepatocellular Carcinoma; Liver Transplantation Outcomes; Chronic Viral Hepatitis
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0790
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Woreta joins Johns Hopkins from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, where she was the interim chief of the division of gastroenterology. Specializing in acute and chronic liver diseases, she sees patients with viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and those in need of cirrhosis liver transplantation.
Dr. Woreta has authored several publications and chapters. She is board certified in internal medicine, gastroenterology and transplant hepatology.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (2010)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (2013)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (2013)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Transplant Hepatology (2014)
Research & Publications
- Kim B, Woreta T, Chen PH, Limketkai B, Singer A, Dagher N, Cameron A, Lin MT, Kamel I, Gurakar A. Donor-Transmitted Malignancy in a Liver Transplant Recipient: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Dig Dis Sci. 2012: Epub ahead of print.
- Woreta TA, SutcliffeCG, MehtaSH, BrownTT, HigginsY, ThomasDL, TorbensonMS, MooreRD, SulkowskiMS. Incidence and risk factors for steatosis progression in adults coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C virus. Gastroenterology. 2011; 140: 809-817.
- Woreta TA, Feldman LS, Stewart RW. Exotic Origin, Familiar Culprit. Am J Med. 2010; 123(3): 220-2.
- Woreta TA, Munoz BE, Gower EW, Alemayehu W, West SK. Effect of trichiasis surgery on visual acuity outcomes in Ethiopia. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009; 127(11): 1505-10.
- Rybak EA, Polotsky AJ, Woreta T, Hailpern SM, Bristow RE. Explained Compared with Unexplained Fever in Postoperative Myomectomy and Hysterectomy Patients. Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111(5): 1137-42.
- Syin D, Woreta TA, Chang DC, Cameron JL, Pronovost PJ, Makary MA. Publication Bias in Surgery: Implications for Informed Consent. J Surg Res. 2007; 143(1): 88-93.
- Poliquin K, Ershov YV, Cunningham FX Jr., Woreta TA, Gantt RR, Gantt E. Inactivation of sll1556 in Synechocystis Strain PCC 6803 Impairs Isoprenoid Biosynthesis from Pentose Phosphate Cycle Substrates In Vitro. J Bacteriol. 2004; 186(14): 4685-93.
- Woreta, T.A. & Hamilton, J.P. (2012). Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Etiology and Natural History. In Reau, N. & Poordad, F.F. (Ed.). Primary Liver Cancer (pp. 1-16). New York: Humana Press.
- Woreta, T.A. (2010). New-onset Jaundice. In Garabaldi, B.T. (Ed.), Patient Encounters: The Internal Medicine Work-Up (pp. 274-280). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Woreta, T.A. & Makary, M.A. (2008). Patient Safety. In Makary, M.A. (Ed.), General Surgery Review, 2nd edition (pp. 553-556). Washington DC: Ladner-Drysdale.
Edited Book Chapter:
- Gastrointestinal and Pulmonary chapters in First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, 6th edition. Tao Le and Vikas Bhushan. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 2007.
- Woreta, T.A., Khashab, M.A., Victor, D.W. A Diagnostic Dilemma: The Case of a Highly Aggressive Vascular Lesion Involving the GI Tract. Presented as a poster presentation at: ACG 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting; Las Vegas, NV.
- Woreta, T., Sutcliffe, C., Mehta, S., Brown, T., Sulkowski, M. (2010, May). The Natural History of Hepatic Steatosis Among HIV/Hepatitis C Co-infected Adults with Paired Liver Biopsy. Poster Presentation at: Digestive Disease Week 2010; New Orleans, LA.
- Woreta, T., Feldman, L., Stewart, R. (2009, May). An Airtight Case: An Ethiopian with Abdominal Pain and Pneumoperitoneum. Poster Presentation presented at: Society of General Internal Medicine 32nd Annual Meeting; Miami, FL.
- Woreta, T., Munoz, B., Gower, E., Alemayehu, W., West, S. (2007, May). The Impact of Trichiasis Surgery on Visual Outcomes in Ethiopian Patients. Oral Presentation presented at: The Wilmer Residents Association Clinical Meeting; Baltimore, MD.
- Woreta, T., Cameron, J,, Chang, D., Syin, D., Makary, M. (2007, February). Measuring Publication Bias in Surgery: Implications for Informed Consent. Poster Presentation presented at: 2nd Annual Academic Surgical Congress; Phoenix, AZ.
Activities & Honors
- The Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology 2007 Student Award
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical Society
- Member, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- Jack Kent Cooke Graduate Fellowship Award
- Banneker/Key Scholarship
- Gemstone Honors Program
- University Honors Program
- Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics Departmental Honors Program
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Fellowship Award
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa