Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Peiying Liu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Normal brain function and physiology; Neonatal brain injuries; Cerebrovascular diseases
Contact for Research Inquiries
The Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology & Radiological Science
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 N. Wolfe Street, Park 324
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Magnetic Resonance Research
- B.S., University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (China) (2003)
- Ph.D., University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center At Dallas, Southwestern Medical School (Texas) (2008)
Research & Publications
Dr. Liu’s research has been focused on the development and implementation of MRI techniques to evaluate brain function and vascular health, and to understand brain pathophysiology. She has extensive experience in the development of MRI techniques to measure brain perfusion and oxygen utilization, and has applied these techniques in various neurological and vascular diseases. She is also experienced in understanding the fMRI signal mechanism and improving the sensitivity of fMRI signal in detecting neural activities.
Dr. Liu is currently working on technologies of brain’s oxygen metabolism in pediatric populations. She is also interested in the development of time-efficient and cost-efficient MRI techniques to probe vascular function in the brain.
Liu P, Hebrank AC, Rodrigue KM, Kennedy KM, Section J, Park DC, Lu H. Age-related differences in memory-encoding fMRI responses after accounting for decline in vascular reactivity. Neuroimage. 2013;78:415-425.
Liu P, Xu F, Lu H. Test-retest reproducibility of a rapid method to measure brain oxygen metabolism. Magn Reson Med. 2013;69(3):675-681.
Liu P, Huang H, Rollins N, Chalak LF, Jeon T, Halovanic C, Lu H. Quantitative assessment of global cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen (CMRO2) in neonates using MRI. NMR Biomed. 2014;27(3):332-340.
Liu P, Chalak LF, Krishnamurthy LC, Mir I, Peng S, Huang H, Lu H. T1 and T2 values of human neonatal blood at 3 Tesla: dependence on hematocrit, oxygenation, and temperature. Magn Reson Med. 2016;75(4):1730-1735.
Liu P, Li Y, Pinho M, Park DC, Welch BG, Lu H. Cerebrovascular reactivity mapping without gas challenges. Neuroimage. 2016;146:320-326.
Activities & Honors
- Young Investigator Award, Gordon Research Conference on In Vivo Magnetic Resonance, 2010
- Junior Fellow, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2013
- Synergy Award, , Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Discovery Fund, 2016 - 2017
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- American Heart Association