Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Jaimie Troyal Shores, M.D.
Clinical Director, Hand/Arm Transplant Program, Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center
Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Expertise: Arthritis, Arthritis of the Fingers, Arthritis of the Hand, Arthritis of the Wrist, Brachial Plexus Injuries, Carpal Injuries, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cutaneous Oncology, Dupuytren's Contracture, Eyelid Reconstruction, Eyelid Surgery, Fracture surgery , Hand and Peripheral Nerve Conditions, Hand Conditions, Hand Fractures, Hand Reconstruction, Hand Surgery, Hand Transplant, Microsurgery, Microsurgery/Microsurgical Reconstruction , Microsurgical Free Tissue Transfer, Microsurgical Tissue Transfer, Microvascular Reconstruction, Microvascular Surgery, Mohs Surgery, Obstetric Brachial Plexus Palsy, Plastic Surgery, Polydactyly (extra fingers), Reanimation of the Face and Upper Extremity, Reconstruction After Cancer, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Transplants, Skin Cancer Surgery, Skin Graft, Soft Tissue and Tendon Injuries of the Hand and Fingers, Syndactyly-Webbed Fingers, Targeted Muscle Reinnervation, Tendon Surgery, Tendonitis of the Hand and Wrist, Transplant Surgery, Transplants, Trigger Finger, Upper Extremity, Upper Extremity Reconstruction , Wrist Fracture ...read more
Research Interests: Novel immunosuppression protocols during composite tissue allotransplantation; Nerve Repair; Nerve regeneration in hand transplantation; Peripheral Nerve Regeneration; Kinomatics after Complex Injury ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Jaimie T. Shores is an assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Shores co-founded the Hand/Arm Transplant Program – a component of the John Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center’s Reconstructive Transplant Program – and serves as its clinical director. In addition to hand transplantation, Dr. Shores performs general plastic and reconstructive surgery, specializing in surgery and microsurgery of the hands and upper extremities.
He is an expert on treating fractures of the forearms, wrists and hands, as well as vascular, tendon, and nerve injuries and conditions. He also treats patients with a range of hand and arm conditions, including carpel tunnel syndrome, trigger finger and arthritis.
Dr. Shores earned his medical degree from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. He completed a plastic surgery residency at California’s Loma Linda University Medical Center, as well as a fellowship in hand surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Prior to joining the Hopkins faculty in 2011, Dr. Shores was a core member of the Hand Transplant Program at the University of Pittsburgh.
There he served as a co-investigator of a clinical study of a novel immunomodulation protocol for hand allotransplantation. This study led to the nation’s first bilateral hand transplant and first arm transplant – and the most hands transplanted in the U.S.
American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified in surgery of the hand and plastic surgery, Dr. Shores also holds a Certificate of Added Qualifications in the subspecialty of hand surgery.
- Clinical Director, Hand/Arm Transplant Program, Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center
- Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of New Mexico School of Medicine (2002)
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine / Plastic Surgery (2008)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Hand Surgery (2009)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Plastic Surgery (2010)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Surgery of the Hand (2011)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Stem cell-based approaches to improve nerve regeneration: potential implications for reconstructive transplantation? Khalifian S, Sarhane KA, Tammia M, Ibrahim Z, Mao HQ, Cooney DS, Shores JT, Lee WP, Brandacher G. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2015 Feb;63(1):15-30.
Hand and Upper Extremity Transplantation: An Update of Outcomes in the Worldwide Experience. Shores JT, Brandacher G, Lee WA. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Nov 14.
Ancillary procedures necessary for translational research in experimental craniomaxillofacial surgery. Al-Rakan M, Shores JT, Bonawitz S, Santiago G, Christensen JM, Grant G, Murphy RJ, Basafa E, Armand M, Otovic P, Eller S, Brandacher G, Gordon CR. J Craniofac Surg. 2014 Nov;25(6):2043-50.
Myxofibrosarcoma with associated mycobacterium infection. Chen S, Mattei P, Berlil JU, Shores J. Eplasty 2014 Jun 7.
The Misuse of the Terminology "Standard of Care" Hampers Innovations in Surgery. Shores JT, Javed AA, Brandacher G, Lee WPA. Annals of Surgery 2014 May 21 (Epub ahead of print)
Utilizing the Dorsal, Cavernosal and External Pudendal Arteries for Penile Transplantation: Technical Considerations and Perfusion Territories. Tuffaha SH, Sacks JM, Shores JT, Brandacher G, Lee WP, Cooney DS, Redett RJ. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Mar 11. [Epub ahead of print]
Establishing Cephalometric Landmarks for the Translational Study of Le Fort-based Facial Transplantation in Swine: Enhanced applications using computer-assisted surgery and custom cutting guides. Santiago GF, Susarla SM, Al Rakan M, Coon D, Rada EM, Sarhane K, Shores JT, Bonawitz SC, Cooney D, Sacks J, Murphy RJ, Fishman EK, Brandacher G, Lee WA, Liacouras P, Grant G, Armand M, Gordon CR. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 May; 133(5):1138-51.
Forearm transplantation osteosynthesis using modified ulnar shortening osteotomy technique. Higgins JP, Shores JT, Katz RD, Lee WP, Wolock BS. J Hand Surg Am. 2014 Jan;39(1):134-42.
Above-elbow (supracondylar) arm transplantation: clinical considerations and surgical technique. Shores JT, Higgins JP, Lee WP. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2013 Dec;17(4):221-7.
A modified heterotopic swine hind limb transplant model for translational vascularized composite allotransplantation (VCA) research. Ibrahim Z, Cooney DS, Shores JT, Sacks JM, Wimmers
Book Chapters, Monographs
- Brandacher G, Shores JT, Gordon CR, Cooney DS, and WPA Lee. Vascularized Composite Allograft (VCA) Transplantation Procedure and Surgical Technique. In Textbook of Organ Transplantation (Ed: Kirk AD, Co-Ed's: Knechtle SJ, Larsen CP, Madsen JC, Pearson TC, Webber SA ). Wiley-Balckwell 2014.
- Pinsky BA and Shores JT. Congenital Hand Anomalies. In Current Reconstructive Surgery (Eds Serletti JM, Taub PJ, Wu LC, Slutsky DJ). McGraw Hill, 2012.
- Lee WP and Shores JT. Fingertip injuries. In Hand Surgery Update V (Eds Chung KC, Murray PM). American Society for Surgery of the Hand: Rosemont, IL. 2011.
- Shores JT, Lee WP. Chapters 79-82, 91 in Decision making in plastic surgery (Eds Marsh JL, Perlyn CA). Quality Medical Pub: St. Louis, Mo. 2010.
- Shores JT, Gabriel A, Gupta S. Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. In Procedures in Reconstructive Surgery: General Reconstructive Surgery (Eds Evans G, Wirth G). Saunders Press. 2008.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Soft Tissue Coverage of the Upper Extremity
ASSH Comprehensive Review of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery 2014. Chicago, IL
2014 - 2014
Chemical Injuries and Frostbite
Chemical Injuries and Frostbite, Chicago, IL
2013 - 2013
Soft tissue coverage of the upper Extremity
Chemical Injuries and Frostbite, Chicago, IL
Nerve Physiology, injury, and repair, Chicago, IL
Management of Common Upper Extremity Peripheral Nerve Compressive Neuropathies
3rd Annual Spinal Disorders: Updates in Diagnosis and Management
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Turner Auditorium, Baltimore, MD
Common congenital hand problems
Department of Pediatrics faculty CME lectures
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Instructional Course # 21: Post-traumatic Finger Deformity, extensor tendon deformities of the finger
63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
Activities & Honors
- Hot Springs High School Graduation Commencement Address: Truth or Consequences, 2013
- ASSH Young Leaders Program, 2010
- Frank R Rogers, MD, MBA, Academic Achievement Award, Loma Linda University, 2003 - 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2001
- Thelma Evans Endowment Research Scholar Award, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of New Mexico, 1996
- Dean's List, New Mexico Military Institute, 1992 - 1993
- Matchin Award- Cadet-of-the-year award, New Mexico Military Institute, 1992 - 1993
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
Videos & Media
Bilateral Arm Transplant Press Conference Patient/Doctor Q&A
In December 2012, a surgical team led by Johns Hopkins physicians performed The Johns Hopkins Hospital's first bilateral arm transplant on a 26-year-old U.S. soldier who lost all four limbs in the Iraq war.
Bilateral Arm Transplant Press Conference Highlights
Lectures and Presentations
Update , 74th Annual Meeting , Baltimore
Maryland Orthopaedic Association
A Prospective Multi-Center Registry of Peripheral Nerve Injuries Associated with Upper and Lower Extremity Orthopedic Trauma.
Clinical Paper Session 15: Hand Trauma , 69th Annual Meeting , Boston (09/18/2014)
How To Do A Hand Transplant: From Patient Selection to Operative Execution
Instructional Course , 69th Annual Meeting , Boston (09/20/2014)
Comprehensive Review of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
Lectures given: Soft tissue reconstruction of the upper extremity , Chicago (07/18/2014)
DARPA Efforts: RE-NET; Hand Transplantation
Conference , Neural Interfaces Conference , Dallas (07/25/2014)
Double Arm Transplant
Discussion , Panel , Denver (05/28/2014)
The Association of Surgical Technologists
Dupuytren’s-Xiaflex vs Everything else
The Mangled Hand
Tri-City Hand Meeting , Baltimore (04/26/2014)
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Behind Hand and Arm Transplants: Experts discuss the medical considerations that go into a successful hand transplant (May 2016)
- Collaboration Creates Composite to Fill Surgical Cavities
- "Imaging could show which cold or injured hands will recover" (Baltimore Sun)
- “Iraq War Vet Receives Rare Double Arm Transplant” (PBS NEWSHOUR video)
- “Now ‘I’m me again’: Veteran overjoyed after double-arm transplant” (The Washington Times)
- “Soldier looks forward to driving with new arms” (The Washington Times)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Common Hand Problems