Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Rahul Koka, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Pediatric airway; Patient safety; Health disparities
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Rahul Koka is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is anesthesiology.
Dr. Koka received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Bowdoin College. He earned his M.D. from the University of Vermont College of Medicine and a M.P.H. from Harvard School of Public Health. He completed his residency at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and performed a fellowship in pediatric anesthesiology at Children’s Hospital in Boston. Dr. Koka joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2012.
His research interests include health disparities, patient safety and pediatric airway.
He is board certified in anesthesiology, advanced cardiac and life support, and pediatric advanced life support.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Vermont College of Medicine (2004)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / Anesthesiology (2008)
- Children's Hospital Boston (2009)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology-General (2010)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Pediatric Anesthesiology (2015)
Research & Publications
Dr. Koka’s research includes:
- Health disparities - currently looking at socioeconomic status and perioperative outcomes
- Patient safety - currently looking at factors related to intraoperative cardiac arrests
- Pediatric airway
Rosen MA, Lee BH, Sampson JB, Koka R, Chima AM, Ogbuagu OU, Marx MK, Kamara TB, Koroma M, Jackson EV Jr. "Failure mode and effects analysis applied to the maintenance and repair of anesthetic equipment in an austere medical environment." Int J Qual Health Care, 2014 May 15.
Rosen MA, Sampson JB, Jackson EV Jr, Koka R, Chima AM, Ogbuagu OU, Marx MK, Koroma M, Lee BH. "Failure mode and effects analysis of the universal anaesthesia machine in two tertiary care hospitals in Sierra Leone." Br J Anaesth, 2014 May 15.
Koka, R., Hadlock, T. "Quantification of functional recovery following rat sciatic nerve transection." Journal of Experimental Neurology, 2001 March; 168(1): 192-5.
Fauza D., Marler, J, Koka, R, Forse, J, Mayer, J, Vacanti, J., "Fetal Tissue Engineering: Diaphragmatic Replacement." Journal of Pediatric Surgery, January 2001; 36 (1): 146-51.
Marler, J, Guha, A, Rowley, J, Koka, R, Bonassar, L, Mooney, D, Upton, J, Vacanti, J. "Soft Tissue Augmentation with Injectable Alginate and Syngeneic Fibroblasts" Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, May 2000; 105(6): 2049-58.
Activities & Honors
- E.K. Van Swearingen Medical Scholarship, 2000 - 2003
- Partners in Excellence Award, Massachusetts General Hospital for Laboratory Research, 2000