Dr. Amukele's research interests are twofold: clinical laboratories and chronic diseases in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). His goal is to drive the conversation about both issues by studying, documenting and publicizing the facts, including:
- How many clinical labs are there?
- What is the quality of the work these labs do?
- How much do they charge for their tests?
- Are people getting value for the money being invested?
- What is the profile of individuals with kidney disease in SSA?
He has created a laboratory quality assurance that has been deployed in Eritrea, Bhutan, Uganda and Malawi. He aims to create a system of laboratory quality assurance that produces measurable results in settings without financial or regulatory incentives.
He's interested in studying the etiology of chronic disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa is especially attractive for elucidating disease mechanisms because it is the most genetically diverse region in the world, and reflects the biological and physical conditions where modern humans evolved. Current projects include: epidemiology and etiology of acute kidney injury in ambulatory patients in Kampala; and epidemiology and etiology of acute kidney injury in ambulatory patients in Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre, Malawi.
- Robert Kaleyesubula, Timothy K. Amukele. A 4-year survey of the spectrum of renal disease at the Mulago Hospital Renal Outpatient Clinic, Uganda Kidney International In-Press 2015
- Amukele TK, Lee Shroeder, J. Brooks Jackson, Ali Elbireer. Most clinical laboratory testing in kampala occurs in high-volume, high-quality laboratories or low-volume, low-quality laboratories: a tale of two cities. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jan;143(1):50-6
- Schroeder LF, Amukele T. Medical laboratories in sub-saharan Africa that meet international quality standards. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jun;141(6):791-5. doi: 10.1309/AJCPQ5KTKAGSSCFN.
- Elbireer AM, Jackson JB, Sendagire H, Opio A, Bagenda D, Amukele TK. The good, the bad, and the unknown: quality of clinical laboratories in Kampala, Uganda. PLoS One. 2013 May 30;8(5):e64661. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0064661. Print 2013.
- Amukele TK, Michael K, Hanes M, Miller RE, Jackson JB. External quality assurance performance of clinical research laboratories in sub-saharan Africa. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Nov;138(5):720-3. doi: 10.1309/AJCP8PCM4JVLEEQR.