I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Monica Smith Pearl, M.D.
Attending Physician, Division of Interventional Neuroradiology
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Arteriovenous Fistulas, Arteriovenous Malformations, Atherosclerosis, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Cerebral Aneurysms, Cerebral Vascular Disease, Cerebral vascular malformations, Diagnostic Radiology, Endovascular Treatment Options for Pediatric Tumors of the Head, Neck and Spine, Intracerebral Hemorrhage , Intracranial Aneurysm, Moyamoya Disease, Neuroradiology , Neurovascular interventions, Pediatric Neurovascular Disorders, Sclerotherapy, Vascular Malformations of the Head, Neck and Spine ...read more
Research Interests: Radiation dose reduction; Intra-arterial chemotherapy for retinoblastoma; Intra-arterial chemotherapy for diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas; Multimodality fusion, image guidance; Pediatric cerebrovascular diseases ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8525
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8525
1800 Orleans St.
Bloomberg Children's Center, Suite 7218
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Monica Smith Pearl is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science and acts as Attending Physician in the Division of Interventional Neuroradiology.
Her areas of specialization include pediatric neuroradiology and neurovascular disorders, arteriovenous malformations and fisultas, atherosclerosis, carotid artery stenosis, cerebral aneurysms, cerebral vascular disease and malformations, intracerebral hemorrhage, intracranial aneurysms, Moyamoya disease and sclerotherapy.
Dr. Pearl received her B.S. in mathematics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1998 and her M.D. from Duke University in 2002. Following training in general surgery and diagnostic radiology at the George Washington University, she earned her certification from the American Board of Radiology in 2008. After completing fellowships in both diagnostic neuroradiology and interventional neuroradiology at the Johns Hopkins University, she joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2010.
In addition to being an Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Pediatric Neuroradiology, she is also a member of the American Society of Neuroradiology, American College of Radiology, Senior Member of the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery and a Diplomate of the American Board of Radiology with subspecialty board certification in neuroradiology.
- Attending Physician, Division of Interventional Neuroradiology
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine (2002)
- George Washington University School of Medicine / Radiology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (2010)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (2008)
- American Board of Radiology / Neuroradiology (2012, 2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. Pearl’s research interests include the diagnosis and treatment of adult and pediatric neurovascular diseases, superficial vascular malformations including arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), venous malformations, and lymphatic malformations. She also focuses on radiation dose reduction strategies and innovative endovascular therapies for adult and pediatric tumors of the head, neck and spine. She is the principal investigator for an active phase II clinical trial involving the intra-arterial administration of chemotherapy for intraocular retinoblastoma. She is also the principal investigator for a phase I clinical trial involving the intra-arterial administration of chemotherapy for progressive diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas.
Clinical Trial KeywordsDiffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, Retinoblastoma, Pontine glioma, Intra-arterial chemotherapy
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Pearl MS, Wolinsky JP, Gailloud P. Preoperative embolization of primary spinal aneurysmal bone cysts by direct percutaneous intralesional injection of n-BCA. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2012 Jun;23(6):841-5.
- Pearl MS, Chen JX, Gregg L, San Millan D, Belzberg A, Jallo G, Gailloud P. Angiographic detection and characterization of cryptic venous anomalies associated with spinal cord cavernous malformations using flat panel catheter angiotomography (FPCA). Neurosurgery. 2012 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pearl M, Gregg L, Gailloud P. Endovascular treatment of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2010 Apr; 21 (2): 271-280.
- Puttgen K, Pearl M, Tekes A, Mitchell S. Update on pediatric extracranial vascular anomalies of the head and neck. Childs Nerv Syst. 2010 Oct; 26 (10): 1417-33. Epub 2010 Aug 10.
- Pearl M, Gomez J, Gregg L, Gailloud P. Endovascular management of vein of Galen aneurysmal malformations. Influence of the normal venous drainage on the choice of a treatment strategy. Childs Nerv Syst. 2010 Oct; 26 (10):1367-79. Epub 2010 Aug 20.
Activities & Honors
- Foundation Scholar Award in Neuroradiology Research, American Society of Neuroradiology, 2013
- Emerging Womens Leadership Program, 2012
- Solving Kids' Cancer, Therapeutic Development Initiative Grant Award, 2012
- Sheikh Zayed RAC Grant Award, Children's Research Institute, 2012
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Pediatric Neuroradiology, 2011
- Codman and Shurtleff Inc. Fellowship Training Grant, 2009
- RSNA Roentgen Resident Research Award, 2008
- Chief resident, George Washington University Hospital, 2007 - 2008
- Resident-in-Training Scholarship, Society of Interventional Radiology, 2006
- Research Fellowship, National Institutes of Health, 2001 - 2002
- Enhanced Research Training Program Grant, National Institutes of Health, 2001
- Intramural Research Training Award, National Institutes of Health, 1995 - 1996
- American College of Radiology
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- Society of Neurointerventional Surgery
- Diplomate, American Board of Radiology
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Pediatric Neuroradiology