I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Damon Sean Cooney, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Expertise: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC), Blepharoplasty, Breast Augmentation, Breast Conservation Surgery, Breast Implants, Breast Reconstruction, Breast Reduction, Breast Tissue Expander, Carpal Injuries, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Chest Wall Reconstruction, Craniomaxillofacial Surgery , Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction, Cutaneous Surgery, Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap, Dermal Fillers, Eyelid Reconstruction, Face Transplant, Facelift, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Facial Lesions, Facial Reconstruction, Facial Scar Revision, Facial Surgery, Facial Trauma Reconstructive Surgery, Flaps, General Reconstruction, Hand Conditions, Keloids, Liposuction, Lymphedema Surgery, Male Breast Cancer, Mastectomy, Maxillofacial Surgery, Maxillofacial Transplant , Microsurgery/Microsurgical Reconstruction , Microsurgical Tissue Transfer, Microvascular Reconstruction, Microvascular Surgery, Mohs Surgery, Nasal Reconstruction, Oncoplastic Breast Conservation Surgery, Pediatric Facial Trauma, Plastic Surgery, Reconstruction After Cancer, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Transplants, Revision Breast Augmentation, Revision Breast Reconstruction, Revision Rhinoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Skin Lesions , Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator Flap, Superior Inferior Epigastric Artery Flap, Tendonitis of the Hand and Wrist, Thighplasty, Transverse Upper Glacilis Flap, Traumatic and Surgical Defects of the Trunk, Trigger Finger, Tummy Tuck, Wrinkle Treatment ...read more
Research Interests: Composite tissue allotransplantation; Inducing tolerance in order to reduce or eliminate the need for systemic immunosuppression in transplantation patients; Microsurgical education; Nerve regeneration; Engineering human tissues for reconstructive purposes; Reconstructive transplantation ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Damon S. Cooney is an assistant professor of plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Cooney performs all types of general plastic surgery but specializes in microvascular reconstruction (free flaps). A particular focus of his clinical practice is improving the functional and aesthetic results of head and neck reconstruction.
He completed additional fellowship training at the University of Pittsburgh to become an expert in microsurgical techniques for reconstructing the extremities, trunk, breast, and head and neck following traumatic and/or oncological defects. Dr. Cooney earned a Ph.D. from Ohio State University Department of Molecular, Cellular and Development Biology.
Dr. Cooney’s clinical and basic research focus is composite tissue allotransplantation (CTA). He is a member of the Composite Tissue Allotransplantation team at Johns Hopkins and helps conduct human hand and face transplantation trials. His laboratory work includes engineering human tissues for reconstructive purposes, nerve regeneration, microsurgical education and inducing tolerance in order to reduce or eliminate the need for systemic immunosuppression in transplantation patients.
Dr. Cooney has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in addition to being a reviewer for plastic surgery journals. He is a founding member of the American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation.
- Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Medicine (2003)
- St John's Hospital - SIU School of Medicine / Plastic Surgery (2009)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Microsurgery (2010)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Plastic Surgery (2012)
- Medical Licensure ID# D71481, State of Maryland
- Medical Licensure ID# MD437557, State of Pennsylvania
- Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery (2012)
Research & Publications
Dr. Cooney’s clinical and basic research focus is composite tissue allotransplantation (CTA). A member of the CTA team at Johns Hopkins, he helps conduct clinical trials for hand and face transplantation. Dr. Cooney’s laboratory work includes engineering human tissues for reconstructive purposes, nerve regeneration and microsurgical education. He also investigates tolerance induction, with the goal of reducing or eliminating the need for systemic immunosuppression in transplant patients.
Activities & Honors
- Peer Academic Scholarship Award, American Association of Plastic Surgeons, 2013
- Teamwork Award, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2012
- First Place Resident Research Award, 2008 - 2009
- Resident Research Prize for Ductal Carcinoma in situ in a Male - Role of Nipple Fluid, Ductal Lavage, and Endoscopy, University of Oklahoma Department of Surgery
- Sigma Xi
- Prize for Independent Scientific Research, Kenyon College
- American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Plastic Surgery Research Council
Scientific Program Committee
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- American Society for Peripheral Nerve
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Improving Surgical Management of Lymphedema (February 2016)