Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Kimberly Anne Gudzune, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Gastroenterology, Obesity
Research Interests: Obesity; Patient-provider relationships; Social networks
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-616-7362
2360 W. Joppa Road
Joppa Concourse Suite 205
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Gudzune is board-certified in Internal Medicine and a diplomat of the American Board of Obesity Medicine. She received her bachelor’s degree in environmental biology from the University of Colorado. Dr. Gudzune attended Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, where she received her doctor of medicine and master of public health degrees. She completed her training in internal medicine at the University of Maryland Medical System. After residency, Dr. Gudzune engaged in additional weight management training and completed a clinical research fellowship within the Division of General Internal Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Her research focuses on the impact of obesity on the patient-physician relationship and how factors in the physical and social environments influence body weight. Her research has been featured in The New York Times and on National Public Radio.
In her practice, Dr. Gudzune uses an integrative approach to design weight management plans that blend diet, exercise and medications with other modalities such as massage, acupuncture, and therapy.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD MPH, Tulane University School of Medicine (2006)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2017)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / General Internal Medicine (2017)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2009)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Gudzune KA, Beach MC, Roter DL, Cooper LA (2103) Physicians build less rapport with obese patients. Obesity (Silver Spring) 21(10):2146-52.
- Gudzune KA, Bleich SN, Richards TM, Weiner JP, Hodges K, Clark JM (2013) Doctor shopping by overweight and obese patients is associated with increased healthcare utilization. Obesity (Silver Spring) 21(7):1328-34.
- Gudzune KA, Bennett WL, Cooper LA, Bleich SN (2014) Perceived judgment about weight can negatively influence weight loss: a cross-sectional study of overweight and obese patients. Prev Med 62:103-7.
- Gudzune KA, Doshi RS, Mehta AK, Chaudhry ZW, Jacobs DK, Vakil RM, Lee CJ, Bleich SN, Clark JM (2015) Efficacy of commercial weight-loss programs: an updated systematic review. Ann Intern Med 162(7):501-12.
For a full publications list, see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gudzune
Activities & Honors
- American Academy on Communication in Healthcare
- European Association for Communication in Health Care
- The Obesity Society
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Commercial Diets Short on Science, Inside Tract (Winter, 2017)
(Podcast) Smart Nutrition: Which Weight-Loss Plans Are Most Effective?, WYPR-FM (2/17/16)
Study: A Good Weight-Loss Program Is Hard To Find, Reuters (2/10/16)
Efficacy of Commercial Weight-Loss Programs; An Updated Systematic Review, Annals of Internal Medicine (4/7/15)
More Than One Tool in the Toolbox, Inside Tract (Fall 2015)