Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Joanna Miller Peloquin Melia, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Celiac Disease, Crohn's Disease, General Internal Medicine, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Microscopic colitis, Ulcerative Colitis
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Melia specializes in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and her clinical expertise includes ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, microscopic colitis, collageneous colitis and Celiac disease. Her primary research interest is improving approaches for individualized care for patients with IBD through functional genomic studies, particularly related to diet, host, and microbiota interactions.
She has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and is board certified in gastroenterology and internal medicine.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Mayo Medical School College of Medicine (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (2010)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Gastroenterology (2011)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Gastroenterology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (2014)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2010)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Pringle PL, Stewart KO, Peloquin JM, Sturgeon HC, Nguyen D, Sauk J, Garber JJ, Yajnik V, Ananthakrishnan AN, Chan AT, Xavier RJ, Khalili H. Body mass index, genetic susceptibility, and risk of complications among individuals with Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Letner D, Peloquin JM, Durand J, Rutherford A, Yajnik V, Khalili H, Garber J. Elevated total iron-binding capacity is associated with an increased risk of Celiac disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2015 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lassen KG, Kuballa P, Conway KL, Patel KK, Becker CE, Peloquin JM, Villablanca EJ, Normal JM, Liu TC, Heath RJ, Becker ML, Fagbami L, Horn H, Mercer J, Yilmaz OH, Jaffe JD, Shamiji FG, Bhan AK, Carr SA, Daly MJ, Virgin HW, Schreiber SL, Stappenbeck TS, Xavier RJ. Atg16L1 T300A variant decreases selective autophagy resulting in altered cytokine signaling and decreased antibacterial defense. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 May 27;111(21):7741-6. Epub 2014 May 12.
- Shaw SY, Tran K, Castoreno AB, Peloquin JM, Lassen KG, Khor B, Aldrich LN, Tan PH, Graham DB, Kuballa P, Goel G, Daly MJ, Shamji AF, Schreiber SL, Xavier RJ. Selective modulation of autophagy, innate immunity, and adaptive immunity by small molecules. ACS Chem Biol. 2013 Dec 20;8(12):2724-33. Epub 2013 Oct 29.
- Conway KL, Kuballa P, Song JG, Patel KK, Castoreno AB, Yilmaz OH, Jijon HB, Zhang M, Aldrich LN, Villablanca EJ, Peloquin JM, Goel G, Lee IA, Mizoguchi E, Shi HN, Bhan AK, Shaw SY, Schreiber SL, Virgin HW, Shamji AF, Stappenbeck TS, Reinecker HC, Xavier RJ. Atg16l1 is required for autophagy in intestinal epithelial cells and protection of mice from Salmonella infection. Gastroenterology. 2013 Dec;145(6):1347-57. Epub 2013 Aug 21.
- Peloquin JM and Nguyen DD. The microbiota and inflammatory bowel disease: Insights from disease models. Anaerobe. 2013 Dec;24:102-6. Epub 2013 Apr 17.
- Nguyen-Trong PK, Peloquin JM, Lauder NN, Nayor JA, Gelber AC. More than skin deep. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Feb;28(2):315-9.
- McElhiney J, Lohse MR, Arora AS, Peloquin JM, Geno DM, Kuntz MM, Enders FB, Fredericksen M, Abdalla AA, Khan Y, Talley NJ, Diehl NN, Beebe TJ, Harris AM, Farrugia G, Graner DE, Murray JA, Locke GR 3rd, Grothe RM, Crowell MD, Francis DL, Grudell AM, Dabade T, Ramirez A, Alkhatib M, Alexander JA, Kimber J, Prasad G, Zinsmeister AR, Romero Y. The Mayo Dysphagia Questionnaire-30: documentation of reliability and validity of a tool for interventional trials in adults with esophageal disease. Dysphagia. 2010 Sep;25(3):221-30.
- Varkey P, Peloquin JM, Reed D, Lindor K, Harris I. Leadership curriculum in undergraduate medical education: a study of student and faculty perspectives. Med Teach. 2009 Mar;31(3):244-50.
- Peloquin JM, Pardi DS, Sandborn WJ, Fletcher JG, McCollough CH, Schueler BA, Kofler JA, Enders FT, Achenbach SJ, Loftus EV Jr. Diagnostic ionizing radiation exposure in a population-based cohort of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008 Aug;103(8):2015-22.
- Sahoo T, Goenaga-Diaz E, Serebriiskii IG, Thomas JW, Kotova E, Cuellar JG, Peloquin JM, Golemis E, Beitinjaneh F, Green ED, Johnson EW, Marchuk DA. Computational and experimental analyses reveal previously undetected coding exons of the KRIT1 (CCM1) gene. Genomics. 2001 Jan;71(1):123-126.
Activities & Honors
- American Gastroenterology Association Student Research Fellowship, American Gastroenterology Association, 2006 - 2007
- Fellows Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 2011 - 2011
- Salix Fellow's Program Travel Grant, Fellowship2Leadership, 2014 - 2014