Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Carole Fakhry, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Languages: English, Arabic, French
Expertise: Cancer of Unknown Primary, Head and Neck Cancers, Human Papillomavirus Infections, Hyperparathyroidism, Laryngeal Cancer, Neck Masses, Oropharynx Cancers, Otolaryngology, Parathyroid Diseases, Parathyroid Surgery, Pharynx Cancer, Skin Cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Diseases, Tongue Cancer, Tonsil Cancer, Transoral robotic surgery (TORS) ...read more
Research Interests: HPV-associated head and neck squamous cell cancer
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
10751 Falls Road
Falls Concourse Suites 406-408
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Fakhry earned her medical degree at Johns Hopkins University, where she also completed her internship, residency and fellowship. Dr. Fakhry also serves as Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Johns Hopkins University.
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Otolaryngology (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Otolaryngology (2010)
- American Board of Otolaryngology / Otolaryngology (2010)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Fakhry C, D'souza G, Weber K, Goshu E, Sugar E, Anastos K, Minkoff H, Seaberg E, Gillison M. Relationship between prevalent oral and cervical human papillomavirus infections in human immunodeficiency virus-positive and -negative women. J Clinical Microbiol. 2006 Dec; 44(12): 4479-85.
- D'souza G, Kreimer A, Viscidi R, Pawlita M, Fakhry C, Koch WM, Westra WH, Gillison M. Epidemiologic evidence that human papillomavirus is a cause or orpharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007 May 10; 356 (19): 1944-56.
- D'souza G, Fakhry C, Weber K, Goshu E, Sugar E, Anastos K, Minkoff H, Seaberg E, Gillison M. Six month natural history of oral versus cervical human papillomavirus infection. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jul; 121(1): 2897-904.
- Fakhry C, Westra WH, Li S, Cmelak A, Ridge JA, Pinto HA, Forastiere A, Gillison M. Improved treatment response and survival of human papillomavirus-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a prospective clinical trial J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Feb 20; 100(4): 261-9.
- Hillel AT, Fakhry C, Williams MF, Blanco GF, Zinreich ES, Levine MA, Westra WH, Saunders JR, Pai SI, Ha PK. Selective versus comprehensive neck dissection after chemoradiation for advanced oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Dec; 141(6): 737-42.
- Fakhry C, Bajaj G, Aygen N, Westra W, Gillison M. Long-term survival of a patient with leptomeningeal involvement by nasopharyngeal carcinoma after treatment with high-dose intravenous methotrexate. Head and Neck. 2010 Aug; Epub ahead of print
- Fakhry C, Sugar E, D'Souza G, Gillison ML. Two-week versus six-month sampling interval in a short-term natural history of oral HPV infection in an HIV-positive cohort. PLOS One.2010 Jul 30;5(7):e11918
- Best SR, Fakhry C. The prevalence, diagnosis and management of voice disorders in a national ambulatory medical care survey (NAMSCS) cohort. Laryngoscope.2011 Jan; 121(1): 150-7.
- Shao C, Sun W, Tan M, Glazer CA, Bhan S, Zhong X, Fakhry C, Sharma R, Westra WH, Hoque MO, Moskaluk CA, Sidransky D, Califano JA, Ha PK. Integrated, genome-wide screening for hypomethylated oncogenes in salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Jul 1;17(13):4320-30. Epub 2011 May 6.
- Agrawal N, Frederick MJ, Pickering CR, Bettegowda C, Chang K, Li RJ, Fakhry C, Xie TX, Zhang J, Wang J, Zhang N, El-Naggar AK, Jasser SA, Weinstein JN, Treviño L, Drummond JA, Muzny DM, Wu Y, Wood LD, Hruban RH, Westra WH, Koch WM, Califano JA, Gibbs RA, Sidransky D, Vogelstein B, Velculescu VE, Papadopoulos N, Wheeler DA, Kinzler KW, Myers JN. Exome Sequencing of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Reveals Inactivating Mutations in NOTCH1. Science. 2011 Jul 28.
- Fakhry C, Rosenthal CT, Clark D, Gillison ML, Associations between oral HPV16 infection and cytopathology: evaluation of an oropharyngeal "Pap-test equivalent" in high-risk populations, Cancer Prev Res. 2011 Sep; 4(9): 1378-84. Epub 2011 Aug 11. in press (September 2011)
- Melvin T, Eliades SJ, Ha PK, Fakhry C, Saunders JM, Califano JA, Blanco RG, Neck dissection through a facelift incision. Laryngoscope. 2012 Dec; 122(12)2700-6.
- Li R, Koch WM, Fakhry C, Gourin CG. Distinct Epidemiologic Characteristics of Oral Tongue Cancer Patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 May;148(5): 792-6. Epub 2013 Feb 8.
- Lin BM, Wang H, D'Souza G, Zhang Z, Fakhry C, Joseph AW, Drake VE, Sanguineti G, Westra WH, Pai SI. Long-term prognosis and risk factors among patients with HPV-associated oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer 2013 Jul 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fakhry C, D'Souza G. Discussing the diagnosis of HPV-OSCC: Common questions and answers. Oral Oncol. 2013 Sep;49(9):863-7. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Fakhry C, Marks MA, Gilman RH, Cabrerra L, Yori P, Kosek M, Gravitt PE. Comparison of the immune microenvironment of the oral cavity and cervix in healthy women. Cytokine. 2013 Sep 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Blanco RG, Fakhry C, Ha PK, Ryniak K, Messing B, Califano JA, Saunders JR. Transoral Robotic Surgery Experience in 44 Cases. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2013 Oct 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dsouza G, Cullen K, Bowie J, Thorpe R, Fakhry C. Differences in oral sexual behaviors by gender, age, and race explain observed differences in prevalence of oral human papillomavirus infection. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 24;9(1):e86023. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0086023. eCollection 2014.
- Blanco RG, Califano JC, Messing B, Richmon J, Liu J, Quon H, Neuner G, Saunders JR, Ha PK, Sheth S, Gillison ML, Fakhry C. Transcervical ultrasonography is feasible for the evaluation of base of tongue cancers. PLOSOne. 2014 Jan 30;9(1):e87565. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087565. eCollection 2014.
- Fakhry C, Psyrri A, Chaturvedhi A. HPV and head and neck cancers: State-of- the-science. Oral Oncol. 2014 May;50(5):353-5.
- Fakhry C, Agrawal N, Califano J, Messing B, Liu J, Saunders JR, Ha P, Coquia S, Hamper U, Gillison M, Blanco R. The use of ultrasound in the search for the primary site of unknown primary head and neck squamous cell cancers. Oral Oncol. 2014 Jul; 50(7):640-5.
- Li R, Faden DL, Fakhry C, Langelier C, Jiao Y, Wang Y, Wilkerson MD, Pedamallu CS, Old M, Lang J, Loyo M, Ahn SM, Tan M, Gooi Z, Chan J, Richmon J, Wood LD, Hruban RH, Bishop J, Westra WH, Chung CH, Califano J, Gourin CG, Bettegowda C, Meyerson M, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, DeRisi JL, Koch WM, Agrawal N. Clinical, Genomic and Metagenomic Characterization of Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Patients Who Do Not Smoke. Head Neck. 2014 Jun 21. Doi: 10.1002/hed.23807. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fakhry C, Zhang Q, Nguyen-Tan PF, Rosenthal D, El-Naggar A, Garden AS, Soulieres D, Trotti A, Avizonis V, Ridge JA, Harris J, Le Q, Gillison M. Human Papillomavirus and Overall Survival After Progression of Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 23. Pii: JCO.2014.55.1937. [Epub ahead of print]
Videos & Media
Meet Our Expert - Dr. Carole Fakhry
Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) – FAQs
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Possible Recurring HPV-Linked Oral Cancer Biomarker Uncovered GEN News (2/8/2016)
Poison Drummer Rikki Rockett is Battling Oral Cancer, Yahoo Health (12/16/2015)
A cancer on the rise, and the vaccine too late for Gen X, CNN (11/5/2015)
HPV Vaccine: Not Just for Girls, Johns Hopkins Health (Summer 2015)
Serendipity in Tonsillectomy: Why tonsil removal appears to decreases a person's risk of cancer, The Atlantic (04/20/2015)
Tobacco use linked to HPV, oral cancers, MSN Health
Head, Throat Cancer Survival May Be Longer if Tumor Caused by HPV, U.S. News & World Report
Head & neck cancer research findings: Longer survival for HPV-positive cancers, the benefits of outpatient care, Cleveland Plain Dealer (02/20/2014)
Head, Throat Cancer Survival May Be Longer if Tumor Caused by HPV: Study, US News & World Report (02/20/2014)
Press Release: Recurrent Mouth and Throat Cancers Less Deadly When Caused by Virus, Study Shows (02/20/2014)