Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Hendrik Peter Scholl, M.A., M.D.
Director, Retinal Degeneration Clinic
Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, German
Expertise: Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration, Ophthalmology , Retinitis Pigmentosa, Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery Service
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3518
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Hendrik P.N. Scholl, M.D., M.A., is the Dr. Frieda Derdeyn Bambas Professor of Ophthalmology and head of visual neurophysiology at the Wilmer Eye Institute. He specializes in medical and surgical management of retinal diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy and has specific expertise in inherited retinal and macular degenerations. He uses the latest technologies, including electroretinography, microperimetry and high-resolution imaging, for the diagnosis of these disorders.
Dr. Scholl''s primary research interest relates to visual loss in retinal degenerations and to therapeutic measures in order to rescue vision. He uses psychophysical and electrophysiological methods to measure visual function and high-resolution topographic and tomographic imaging to investigate retinal structure with the aim of developing more efficient markers for upcoming clinical trials.
Dr. Scholl received his M.D. from the Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen, Germany, and did his residency at the Centre for Ophthalmology, University of Tuebingen. He did a clinical research fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK. He served on the ophthalmology faculty at the University of Bonn for 5 years until he was recruited to the Wilmer Eye Institute in 2010.
- Director, Retinal Degeneration Clinic
- Dr. Frieda Derdeyn Bambas Professor of Ophthalmology
- Director, Visual Neurophysiology Service
- Co-director, Johns Hopkins Center for Stem Cells and Ocular Regenerative Medicine (STORM)
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- , Brown University School of Medicine (1994)
- MD, Eberhard-Karls-Universitat Tubingen (1997)
- Tubingen University Dekanat der Medizinischen Fakultat / Ophthalmology (2001)
- Moorfields Eye Hospital & Department of Clinical Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2003)