I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Keith Andrew Horvath, M.D.
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Valve Repair, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiovascular Surgery, Mitral Valve Repair, Revascularization, Thoracic Surgery, Thoracoscopy, Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization ...read more
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians at Suburban Hospital
Appointment Phone: 301-896-7610
8600 Georgetown Road
NIH Heart Center
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Dr. Keith Horvath is the Director of Cardiothoracic surgery research at the NHLBI and chief of cardiothoracic surgery at Suburban Hospital, where he leads the NIH Heart Center.
Dr. Horvath is recognized as one of the DC metropolitan area’s top cardiac surgeons based on responses from a Washingtonian questionnaire sent to 7,000 area physicians asking them where they would send their family members for care.
Dr. Horvath has performed close to 5,000 valve surgeries and he has achieved excellent outcomes in terms of fewer complications, lower mortality rates and fewer readmissions after surgery, based on data from the Society of Thoracic Surgery National Database.
You can learn about Dr. Horvath’s leading-edge research at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute by reading “On the other Side of the Lens: Photographer Turns Focus to His Heart."
As a highly respected surgeon and gifted researcher, Dr. Horvath has clinical investigation interests including mitral valve repairs and aortic surgery.
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
- MD, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (1987)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / General Surgery (1994)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / Cardiothoracic Surgery (1996)
- Childrens Hospital / Cardiothoracic Surgery (1996)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / Cardiothoracic Surgery (1997)
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery / Thoracic Surgery (1997, 2005)
Research & Publications
Title Off-pump Surgery for Giant Right Coronary Artery Aneurysms.
Date April 2012
Journal: Journal of Cardiac Surgery
Title:Surgical and Nonsurgical Complications of a Pig to Baboon Heterotopic Heart Transplantation Model.
Date January 2011
Title:Left Ventricular Pressure Measurement by Telemetry is an Effective Means to Evaluate Transplanted Heart Function in Experimental Heterotopic Cardiac Xenotransplantation.
Date January 2011
Title: Rapid and Dynamic Alterations of Gene Expression Profiles of Adult Porcine Bone Marrow-derived Stem Cell in Response to Hypoxia.
Date May 2010
Journal: Stem Cell Research
Title: Direct Injection of Autologous Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Improves Myocardial Function.
Date December 2009
Journal: Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
Activities & Honors
- Top Doctors, Washingtonian Magazine, 2012
- One of America's Leading Experts on: Myocardial Ischemia
- Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors, 2009 - 2014
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Network
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Heart Valve Research