Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Daniel Alfredo Herzka, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Research Interests: Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
Dr. Daniel Herzka is an assistant professor of biomedical engineering at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. His research focuses on cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques for the diagnosis and monitoring of cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Herzka received his undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from Cornell University. He earned his M.S. and Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Herzka has previously worked on several applications of fast MRI in both corporate research and academic settings, taking techniques from the design stages through pre-clinical studies to application in patients. He developed coronary MRI techniques that have led to improvements in the detection of anomalous coronary trees in patients.
Dr. Herzka’s lab is exploring the use of new phase-encoding strategies with mathematically irrational and variable phase-encode stepping structures.
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., Cornell University (New York) (1997)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (2004)
Research & Publications
Dr. Herzka and his team strive to generate novel techniques for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the presence of motion, and translate them from bench to bedside. There is a strong focus on the functions that display periodic motion (the cardiovascular system, joint kinematics), and aperiodic or irregular motion (neonatal/fetal imaging).
Current projects include: 1) leveraging high-resolution 3D MRI in the field of electrophysiology; 2) using real-time, low-latency image reconstruction for joint motion analysis; and 3) development of motion-compensation techniques for high-resolution imaging during breathing.
Dr. Herzka's lab pursues advancement in all aspects of MRI—from gradient waveform design to pulse sequence design, reconstruction algorithm development, and translation into clinic—and works directly with researcher physicians and collaborates with industrial partners.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Sharma B, Fermanian S, Gibson M, Unterman S, Herzka DA, Cascio B, Coburn J, Hui AY, Marcus N, Gold GE, Elisseeff JH. "Human cartilage repair with a photoreactive adhesive-hydrogel composite." Sci Transl Med. 2013 Jan 9;5(167):167ra6. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3004838.
- Pourmorteza A, Schuleri KH, Herzka DA, Lardo AC, McVeigh ER. "A new method for cardiac computed tomography regional function assessment: stretch quantifier for endocardial engraved zones (SQUEEZ)." Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012 Mar;5(2):243-50. doi: 10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.111.970061. Epub 2012 Feb 16.
- Wang J, Gerretsen SC, Maki JH, Jaarsma C, Kooi ME, Herzka D, Chu B, Yarnykh VL, Yuan C, Leiner T. "Time-efficient black blood RCA wall imaging at 3T using improved motion sensitized driven equilibrium (iMSDE): feasibility and reproducibility." PLoS One. 2011;6(10):e26567. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0026567. Epub 2011 Oct 20.
- Estner HL, Zviman MM, Herzka D, Miller F, Castro V, Nazarian S, Ashikaga H, Dori Y, Berger RD, Calkins H, Lardo AC, Halperin HR. "The critical isthmus sites of ischemic ventricular tachycardia are in zones of tissue heterogeneity, visualized by magnetic resonance imaging." Heart Rhythm. 2011 Dec;8(12):1942-9. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2011.07.027. Epub 2011 Jul 26.
- Behnam AJ, Herzka DA, Sheehan FT. "Assessing the accuracy and precision of musculoskeletal motion tracking using cine-PC MRI on a 3.0T platform." J Biomech. 2011 Jan 4;44(1):193-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.08.029. Epub 2010 Sep 21.
- Derbyshire JA, Herzka DA, McVeigh ER, Lederman RJ. "Efficient implementation of hardware-optimized gradient sequences for real-time imaging." Magn Reson Med. 2010 Dec;64(6):1814-20. doi: 10.1002/mrm.22211.
- Sprouse C, Jorstad A, DeMenthon D, Burlina P, Contijoch F, Ngo T, Herzka D, McVeigh E, Stearns J, Grogan K, Brady M, Abraham T, Yuh D. "Computational cardiac modelling based on transesophageal echocardiographic imaging." Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest. 2010;28(3):218-9.