Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Shameema Sikder, M.D.
Medical Director, Wilmer Eye Institute - Bethesda
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years), Infants (up to 1 year), Adolescents (12-18 years), Children (1-11 years)
Languages: English, Bengali, Spanish
Expertise: Cataracts, Cornea/Anterior Segment Disease, Corneal Disorders, Corneal Dystrophies, Corneal Ulcer, Dry Eyes, Keratoconus, Laser Surgery, Ophthalmology, Refractive Surgery, Thyroid Eye Disease, Trauma ...read more
Research Interests: Surgical Education; Keratoconus; Thyroid Eye Disease; Cataract Surgery
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute - Bethesda
Appointment Phone: 240-482-1100
7315 Wisconsin Avenue
West Tower, Suite 610
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Shameema Sikder, M.D., is an assistant professor of ophthalmology and cataract surgery education champion at the Wilmer Eye Institute, in addition to being the medical director of Wilmer's Bethesda location. She specializes in corneal disorders, including Fuchs dystrophy and keratoconus; refractive surgery; cataracts and external eye diseases. Dr. Sikder's clinical interests include surgical treatments for corneal diseases, such as endothelial keratoplasty (DSEK, DSAEK), complex cataracts and treatments for keratoconus. She has a particular interest in surgical education and is working on a curriculum that could be implemented at the international level.
Dr. Sikder received her M.D. degree from the University of Arizona. She completed her ophthalmology residency at the Wilmer Eye Institute and fellowship in cornea and refractive disease at the Moran Eye Institute in Salt Lake City, Utah, where she received the Claes Dohlman Fellow of the Year Award, recognizing the most distinguished cornea fellow in the nation. Dr. Sikder returned to Wilmer in 2011 and served as assistant chief of service (chief resident) and associate director of ocular trauma.
- Medical Director, Wilmer Eye Institute - Bethesda
- Cataract Surgery Education Champion
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
- Ophthalmology - Cornea and Anterior Segment
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Arizona College of Medicine (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2010)
- The University of Utah / Cornea and Refractive Surgery (2011)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2013)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Sikder S, Khalifa, YM, Neuffer, M, Moshirfar, M. Tomographic Corneal Profile Analysis of Central Toxic Keratopathy. Cornea, 2012;31(1):48-51.
Holt DG, Sikder S, Mifflin MD. Surgical management of traumatic LASIK flap dislocation 15 years postoperatively with macrostriae and epithelial ingrowth. JCRS, 2012 Feb;38(2):357-61.
Mifflin MD, Hatch BB, Sikder S, Kurz CJ, Moshirfar M. Custom versus Conventional PRK: A Prospective, Randomized Contralateral Eye Comparison of Post-Operative Visual Function. JRS, 2012 Feb;28(2):127-32.
Oberg TO, Sikder S, Jorgensen AJ, Mifflin MD. Topical-Intracameral Anesthesia without Preoperative Mydriatic Agents for Descemets Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty and Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery with Intraocular Lens Implantation. JCRS, in review. 2012 Mar;38(3):384-6.
Calvo CM, Sikder S, Mamalis N, Mifflin MD. Linear Interstitial Keratitis: A Distinct, Clinical Entity Revisited. Cornea, 2012 Mar 8.
Moshirfar M, Hsu M, Schulman J, Armenia J, Sikder S, Hartnett ME. The incidence of central serous chorioretinopathy after photorefractive keratectomy and laser in situ keratomileusis. J Ophthalmol. 2012;2012:904215.
Christiansen SM, Neuffer MC, Sikder S, Semnani RT, Moshirfar M. The effect of preoperative keratometry on visual outcomes after moderate myopic LASIK. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:459-64.
Mifflin MD, Leishman LL, Christensen SM, Sikder S, Hsu M, Moshirfar M. Use of Loteprednol for Routine Prophylaxis after Photorefractive Keratectomy. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:653-9.
Sedaghat M, Zarei-Ghanavati M, Ansari-Astaneh MRA, Patel V, Sikder S. Evaluation of Sterile Uveitis after Iris-Fixated Phakic Intraocular Lens Implantation. Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology, 2012;19(2):199-203.
Casparis H, Lindsley K, Kuo IC, Sikder S, Bressler NB. Surgery for cataracts in people with age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Jun 13;6:CD006757.
Activities & Honors
- University of Arizona, College of Medicine Excellence in Research Award
- University of Arizona, College of Medicine Research Distinction Award
- Claes Dohlman, M.D. Cornea Fellow of the Year Award (National)
- Mitchell Research Prize, Wilmer Resident Association
- Honor Society Member, Alpha Omega Alpha
- Intern of the Year, Tucson Hospitals Medical Education Program
- Seventh Annual Resident Writer''s Award Program Participant , Ophthalmology Times
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Cornea Society
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons