Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Thomas A. LaVeist, Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Oncology
- Joint Appointment in Oncology
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
Dr. LaVeist's research and writing has focused on three broad thematic research questions:
- What are the social and behavioral factors that predict the timing of various related health outcomes (e.g., access and utilization of health services, mortality, entrance into nursing home)?
- What are the social and behavioral factors that explain race differences in health outcomes?
- What has been the impact of social policy on the health and quality of life of African Americans? His work has included both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
Dr. LaVeist seeks to develop an orienting framework in the development of policy and interventions to address race disparities in health-related outcomes. Specific areas of expertise include U.S. health and social policy, the role of race in health research, social factors contributing to mortality, longevity and life expectancy, quantitative and demographic analysis and access, and utilization of health services.
- Franklin, F.A.; Laveist, T.A.; Webster, D.W.; Pan, W.K. Alcohol outlets and violent crime in Washington D.C. West J Emerg Med. 2010 Aug;11(3):283-290.
- Evans, M.K.; Lepkowski, J.M.; Powe, N.R.; LaVeist, T.; Kuczmarski, M.F.; Zonderman, A.B. Healthy aging in neighborhoods of diversity across the life span (HANDLS): overcoming barriers to implementing a longitudinal, epidemiologic, urban study of health, race, and socioeconomic status. Ethn Dis. 2010 Summer;20(3):267-275.
- Washington, H.A.; Baker, R.B.; Olakanmi, O.; Savitt, T.L.; Jacobs, E.A.; Hoover, E.; Wynia, M.K.; Blanchard, J.; Boulware, L.E.; Braddock, C.; Corbie-Smith, G.; Crawley, L.; LaVeist, T.A.; Maxey, R.; Mills, C.; Moseley, K.L.; Williams, D.R. Segregation, civil rights, and health disparities: the legacy of African American physicians and organized medicine, 1910-1968. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2009 Jun;101(6):513-527.
- Nguyen, G.C.; Sam, J.; Murthy, S.K.; Kaplan, G.G.; Tinmouth, J.M.; LaVeist, T.A. Hospitalizations for inflammatory bowel disease: profile of the uninsured in the United States. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009 May;15(5):726-733.
- Nguyen, G.C.; Munsell, M.; Brant, S.R.; LaVeist, T.A. Racial and geographic disparities in the use of parenteral nutrition among inflammatory bowel disease inpatients diagnosed with malnutrition in the United States. Jpen. 2009 Sep-Oct;33(5):563-568.
- Nguyen, G.C.; Laveist, T.A.; Harris, M.L.; Datta, L.W.; Bayless, T.M.; Brant, S.R. Patient trust-in-physician and race are predictors of adherence to medical management in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009 Jan 28.
- Gaskin, D.J.; Price, A.; Brandon, D.T.; Laveist, T.A. Segregation and disparities in health services use. Med Care Res Rev. 2009 Oct;66(5):578-589.
- Bowie, J.V.; Juon, H.S.; Dubay, L.C.; Lebrun, L.A.; Curbow, B.A.; Thorpe, R.J.; Laveist, T.A. Cancer prevention behaviors in low-income urban whites: an understudied problem. J Urban Health. 2009 Nov;86(6):861-871.
- Thorpe, R.J., Jr.; Brandon, D.T.; LaVeist, T.A. Social context as an explanation for race disparities in hypertension: findings from the Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities (EHDIC) Study. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Nov;67(10):1604-1611.
- Nguyen, G.C.; Tuskey, A.; Bayless, T.M.; LaVeist, T.A.; Brant, S.R. Community-based health preferences for proctocolectomy: a race comparison. Dig Dis Sci. 2008 Mar;53(3):741-746.