Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Rita Rastogi Kalyani, M.D., M.H.S.
Editor-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, French, Hindi
Expertise: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases, Diabetes Mellitus, Endocrinology, Geriatric Endocrinology, Metabolism, Pancreatic Auto Islet Transplant
Research Interests: Muscle loss and disability among older adults with diabetes; Metabolic diseases in older adults; Diabetes education; Gender differences in diabetes and heart disease; Glycemic outcomes of islet autotransplantation; Diabetes epidemiology ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-9270
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Contact for Research Inquiries
Dr. Rita Kalyani is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Core Faculty at the Johns Hopkins Center on Aging and Health, and Associate Faculty at the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research. She graduated with an undergraduate degree from Harvard College and completed her medical degree, residency, and fellowship at Johns Hopkins. She also obtained a Masters in Health Science degree in Clinical Investigation from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Kalyani is an active clinician and sees patients regularly in the Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Diabetes Center as well as attends on the general endocrine consultation service. She directs the Diabetes Management Service for Johns Hopkins’ Total Pancreatectomy Islet Auto Transplant Program. She is NIH funded for her research, which focuses on diabetes and aging and investigates accelerated muscle loss, disability, and frailty in older adults with diabetes. Other research interests include sex differences in diabetes and heart disease and physical functioning in other endocrine and metabolic diseases. She is Chair of the American Diabetes Association's Professional Practice Committee, which is responsible for the ADA's annual position statement: "Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes".
Dr. Kalyani is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, and serves on a national steering committee called “ACP Quality Connect: Diabetes” to improve the quality of diabetes care. She is the co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide for healthcare professionals available both as a book and electronically as a mobile application, now with close to 200 topics.
- Editor-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
- Director, Diabetes Management Service, Total Pancreatectomy Islet Auto Transplant Program
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Endocrinology (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Endocrinology (2010)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Endocrinology/Diabetes/Metabolism (2009)
Research & Publications
- Shardell M., Semba R.D., Kalyani R.R., Rosano, C., Bandinelli, S., Chia, C.W., Ferrucci L. Plasma Klotho and Cognitive Decline in Older Adults: Findings from the InChianti Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2015 Aug 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bandeen-Roche K., Seplaki C., Huang J., Buta B., Kalyani R.R., Varadhan R., Xue Q.L., Walston J., Kasper J. Frailty in Older Adults: A New National Profile. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2015 Aug 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kalyani R.R., Yeh H.C., Clarke J., Weisfeldt M., Choi T., MacDonald S. Sex Differences Among Career Development Awardees in the Attainment of Independent Research Funding in a Department of Medicine. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 2015 Aug 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- John G., Singh V., Pascricha P., Makary M., Hirose K., Desai N., Walsh C., Kalyani R.R., Hall E., Sun Z., Warren D., Stein E. Post-operative Dysmotility Following Total Pancreatectomy with Islet Auto Transplantation in Patients with Chronic Pancreatitis. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2015; 19: 1256-61.
- Kalyani R.R., Rodriguez D., Yeh H., Golden S., Thorpe R. Diabetes, Race, and Functional Limitations in Older U.S. Men and Women. Diab Res Clin Practice. 2015; 108: 390-7.
- Kalyani R.R., Kim C., Ferrucci L., Laughlin G., Kritz-Silverstein D., Kong S., Nan B., Barrett-Connor E. Sex Differences in the Longitudinal Association of Hyperglycemia with Lower Grip Strength in Older Adults: The Rancho Bernardo Study, BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care. 2015;3:e000086.
- Shardell M., Semba R., Kalyani R.R., Hicks G., Bandinelli S., Ferrucci L. Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, Plasma Klotho, and Lower-Extremity Physical Performance Among Older Adults: Findings from the InCHIANTI Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 1156-62.
- Ward B., Wenzel A., Kalyani R.R., Agrawal Y., Feng A., Polydefkis M., Ying H.,Schubert M., Zuniga G., Della Santina C., Carey J. Characterization of Diabetes-Associated Vestibulopathy in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2015; 153: 112-8.
- Kalyani RR, Metter EJ, Egan J, Golden SH, Ferrucci L. Hyperglycemia Predicts Persistently Lower Muscle Strength With Aging. Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 82-90.
- Corriere MD, Yao W, Xue QL, Cappola AR, Fried LP, Thorpe RJ Jr, Szanton SL, Kalyani RR. The association of neighborhood characteristics with obesity and metabolic conditions in older women. J Nutr Health Aging. 2014;18: 792-8.
- Corriere MD, Minang LB, Sisson SD, Brancati FL, Kalyani RR. The Use of Clinical Guidelines Highlights Ongoing Educational Gaps in Physicians' Knowledge and Decision Making Related to Diabetes. BMC Med Educ.14 (1):186, 2014.
- Kalyani RR, Tra Yolande, Egan J, Ferrucci L, Brancati FL. Hyperglycemia is Associated with Relatively Lower Lean Body Mass in Older Adults. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 2014; 18: 737-43.
- Kalyani RR, Corriere M, Ferrucci L. Age and Disease-Related Muscle Loss: The Effect of Diabetes, Obesity and Other Diseases. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2014; 2: 819-829.
- Corriere M, Roopnarinesingh N, Kalyani RR. Epidemiology of Diabetes and Diabetic Complications in the Elderly: An Emerging Public Health Burden. Current Diabetes Reports 2013; 13: 805-13.
- Kalyani RR, Lazo M, Ouyang P, Turkbey E, Chevalier K, Brancati F, Becker D, Vaidya D. Gender Differences in Diabetes and Risk of Incident Coronary Artery Disease in Healthy Young and Middle-Aged Adults. Diabetes Care. Diabetes Care. 2014;37: 830-8.
- Chaudry ZW, Hall E, Kalyani RR, Cosgove DP, Yeh HC. Diabetes in Pancreatic Cancer Patients. Current Problems in Cancer 2013; 37: 287-92.
- Kalyani RR, Egan JM. Diabetes and Altered Glucose Metabolism with Aging. Endocrinology Metab Clin North Am. 2013; 42: 333-47.
- Kalyani RR, Tra Yolande, Yeh HC, Egan J, Ferrucci L, Brancati FL. Quadriceps Strength, Quadriceps Power, and Gait Speed in Older U.S. Adults with Diabetes: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 1999-2002. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61:769-75.
- Kalyani RR, Tian J, Xue Q, Walston JW, Cappola AR, Fried LP, Brancati FL, Blaum CS. Hyperglycemia Predicts Frailty Status and Lower Extremity Mobility Limitations in Older Women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2012; 60: 1701-7.
- Kalyani RR, Varadhan R, Weiss CO, Fried LP, Cappola A. Frailty Status and Altered Dynamics of Circulating Energy Metabolism Hormones After Oral Glucose in Older Women. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging 2012; 16: 679-686.
- Kalyani RR, Varadhan R, Weiss CO, Fried LP, Cappola A. Frailty Status and Altered Glucose-Insulin Dynamics. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 2012; 67: 1300-6.
- Kalyani RR, Metter EJ, Ramachandran R, Chia C, Saudek CD, Ferrucci L. Glucose and insulin measurements from the oral glucose tolerance test and relationship to muscle mass. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 2012; 67: 74-81.
- Kalyani RR, Stein B, Valiyil R, Manno R, Maynard JW, Crews D. Vitamin D treatment for the prevention of falls in older adults: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2010; 58:1299-310.
- Kalyani RR, Saudek CD, Brancati FL, Selvin ES. The association of diabetes, comorbidities, and hemoglobin A1c with functional disability in older adults: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 1999-2006. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:1055-60.
- Kalyani RR, Franco M, Dobs AS, Ouyang P, Vaidya D, Bertoni A, Gapstur SM, Golden SH. The association of endogenous sex hormones, adiposity, and insulin resistance with incident diabetes in postmenopausal women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2009; 94: 4127-4135.
- Kalyani RR, Dobs AS. Androgen deficiency, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome in men. Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Obesity 2007; 14: 226-234.
- Saudek, CD, Derr RL, Kalyani, RR. Assessing glycemia in diabetes using self-monitoring blood glucose and hemoglobin A1c. Journal of the American Medical Association 2006; 295:1688-97.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Masters in Health Science, 2009
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Courses and Syllabi
Graduate Training Program in Clinical Investigation
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Recent Graduate Award, Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association, 2014
- Public health academic honor society, Delta Omega
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Named as a "Leading Women in Maryland 2013", The Daily Record, 2013
- American College of Physicians
- American Diabetes Association
- American Geriatrics Society
- The Endocrine Society
- Editor, Johns Hopkins Diabetes White Papers
- Editorial Board, Diabetes Care
- Professional Practice Committee, American Diabetes Association
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
"Bringing Diabetes to the Forefront" The Today Show (11/13/2013)
"Diabetes Greatly Raises Younger Women''s Heart Risk: Study" U.S. News & World Report (11/05/2013)
"The Looming Worldwide Diabetes Epidemic" The Diane Rehm Show (11/15/11)
"Can diet & exercise alone ward off diabetes?" The Dr. Oz Show (10/08/2010)
"What is Rosiglitazone and is it safe to treat diabetes?" The Dr. Oz Show (10/08/2010)