Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Tanjala Purnell, M.P.H., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Kidney Transplant
Contact for Research Inquiries
720 Rutland Avenue, Turner 34
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
Dr. Purnell is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of Transplantation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds a joint faculty appointment in the Department of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She is a Core Faculty member of the Epidemiology Research Group in Organ Transplantation, Training Director for the Johns Hopkins Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities, and an Associate Faculty member of the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research. Her primary area of research focuses on identifying patient-centered and community-engaged solutions to address disparities in access to and quality of care for patients with kidney disease and related risk factors, including diabetes and hypertension.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Transplant Surgery
- B.S., Tougaloo College (Mississippi) (2005)
- M.P.H., Ohio State University (Ohio) (2006)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2012)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2014, General Internal Medicine
Research & Publications
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Johns Hopkins Summer Institute in Health Equity Research
Activities & Honors
- National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health/NIDDK
- Young Investigator Award , The Transplantation Society
- Minority Scholar Award, Academy Health/Aetna Foundation
- Seminar Travel Award, American Society of Nephrology Professional Development
- Fellowship/Travel Award, National Institutes of Health/National Medical Association
- Travel Award, International Symposium on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Volunteer Service Recognition, National Kidney Foundation of Maryland
- “Ask the Expert” Community Health Outreach Series “Thank You” Award, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Office of Community Health