I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Tanjala Purnell, M.P.H., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Kidney Transplant
Dr. Purnell is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of Transplantation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds joint faculty appointments in the Departments of Epidemiology and Health Behavior and Society at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Purnell is a Core Faculty member of the Epidemiology Research Group in Organ Transplantation, the Associate Director for Education and Training at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Equity, and a Core Faculty member of the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research. Her research focuses on identifying patient-centered and community-engaged solutions to address disparities in access to and quality of care for patients with kidney disease and related risk factors, including diabetes and hypertension. Her course, "Applications of Innovative Methods in Health Equity Research," is offered through the Department of Health Behavior and Society.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Transplant Surgery
- B.S., Tougaloo College (Mississippi) (2005)
- M.P.H., Ohio State University (Ohio) (2006)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2012)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2014, General Internal Medicine
Research & Publications
Lab Website: Epidemiology Research Group in Organ Transplantation
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Applications of Innovative Methods in Health Equity Research
Johns Hopkins Department of Health Behavior and Society
Activities & Honors
- Career Development (K01) Award, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Region 2 Representative, OPTN/UNOS Minority Affairs Committee
- Rothman Award in Surgical Research, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health/NIDDK
- "Top 40 Under 40" Leadership Award, National Quality Forum
- Young Investigator Award , The Transplantation Society
- Seminar Travel Award, American Society of Nephrology Professional Development
- Fellowship/Travel Award, National Institutes of Health/National Medical Association
- Travel Award, International Symposium on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Volunteer Service Recognition, National Kidney Foundation of Maryland
- “Ask the Expert” Community Health Outreach Series “Thank You” Award, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Office of Community Health