Dr. Arend's laboratory studies the mechanisms of mammalian kidney development. Specifically, their studies involve various cell and molecular biology techniques to determine the role of the bioactive sphingolipid, sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P), in organogenesis of the kidney. Their research indicates that S1P may be involved in development of conditions such as cystic kidney disease and Meckel syndrome. They also study the pathologic aspects of other kidney disease by various morphologic techniques, including light, immunofluorescence and electron microscopy.
- Nie X, Arend LJ. Novel roles of Pkd2 in male reproductive system development. Differentiation. 2014 March–April; 87(3–4): 161–171.
- Nie X, Arend LJ. Pkd1is required for male reproductive tract development. Mech Dev. 2013 Nov-Dec;130(11-12):567-76.
- Kirby RJ, Jin Y, Fu J, Cubillos J, Swertfeger D, Arend LJ. "Dynamic regulation of sphingosine-1-phosphate homeostasis during development of mouse metanephric kidney." Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009 Mar;296(3):F634-41. doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.90232.2008. Epub 2008 Dec 10.
- Lorenz JN, Arend LJ, Robitz R, Paul RJ, MacLennan AJ. "Vascular dysfunction in S1P2 sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor knockout mice." Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007 Jan;292(1):R440-6. Epub 2006 Sep 21.
- Fu J, Jin Y, Arend LJ. "Smac3, a novel Smac/DIABLO splicing variant, attenuates the stability and apoptosis-inhibiting activity of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein." J Biol Chem. 2003 Dec 26;278(52):52660-72. Epub 2003 Sep 30.
- Phillips CL, Arend LJ, Filson AJ, Kojetin DJ, Clendenon JL, Fang S, Dunn KW. "Three-dimensional imaging of embryonic mouse kidney by two-photon microscopy." Am J Pathol. 2001 Jan;158(1):49-55.
- Arend LJ, Smart AM, Briggs JP. "Mouse beta(6) integrin sequence, pattern of expression, and role in kidney development." J Am Soc Nephrol. 2000 Dec;11(12):2297-305.
- Arend LJ, Smart A, Briggs JP. "Metanephric rat-mouse chimeras to study cell lineage of the nephron." Dev Genet. 1999;24(3-4):230-40.
Kirby RJ, Swertfeger, D, Arend LJ. Crosstalk between GDNF/RET and S1P/S1PR signaling pathways regulates kidney epithelial cell migration. In Preparation.